weird navigation glitch... what to do ?

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
ok, so i've only had this car a couple of months and in the last week i've noticed that it has no clue where it is, also to note that i did see an update being downloaded (and then installed) and that's completed, so i don't know if it's related to the current problem.

Essentially the navigation system is clueless about where i am and this was working fine up until last week. If i look at where the maps think i actually am it's about 50 kilometers from where I actually live... and on my way home today it just moved back and forth as if it 'glitching'...

I reset comand using the revert feature but that didn't help, so what now ?

cheers
niall

Last edited:
OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I had quite a few software upgrades to mine, always knew where it was but the screen would display random stuff until it was upgraded.

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
is there a fuse i can pull to reset navigation properly ?

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
so i brought the car into Mercedes and they 'diagnosed' the fault, it was exactly as google already told me, the GPS antenna in the left mirror has broken communication with comand.. meaning it needs to be replaced. Cost for all this below.

Diagnosis 2500 SEK
Replace GPS 2900 SEK
Car rental 400 SEK

total 5795 SEK

I've asked the car dealer I bought it from to cover the cost, but there you go, if you ask me this is a 'known failure' on E class and Mercedes should really be replacing it FOC... but of course, they won't.

Last edited:
OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
thanks Srdl, actually they still have my car as they couldn't fix it today, they had to order in the parts, so Ive the car rental for another day, so add another 400SEK to that which would make it...495,91 GBP

Hopefully there won't be any surprises with this (such as damage to my car or anything else...) and hopefully my car dealer will cover the entire bill.

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
so i got my car back, navigation is fixed and interestingly a problem i noticed since navigation died was that lane assist (when you indicate to switch lanes) no longer worked, but that is now working again, i've sent the bill to the car dealer and he's agreed to pay it, so a good result in the end :)

I asked would i get the same issue again in approx two years and he claimed that no, the new gps antenna is re-worked...

I hope so !

the total for 2 days car hire and repair was 6297 SEK approx 504.50 GBP

also, for anyone that cares, the first signs that navigation was failing was when i was driving my daily motorway commute (160 k round trip), and the adaptive assist slowed to 70 then 50 on a 110 km limit road, i checked the road and there were no markings, and it didn't make any sense to me until a few days later, the reason it thought the road was a 50k road was GPS wise it was in a totally different location...

after that point navigation got worse and worse over a period of about a week, until eventually it ended up thinking it was in Stuttgart (Germany) while I was in Helsingborg (Sweden).

Mick1966

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 220D SE 2017
i recently bought an e class from an independent dealer in the uk 2017 E 220D SE and the navi thinks the car is in Germany, the diagnostic machine said there is an open circuit and they have traced where the fault is and ordered the part from Germany under the warranty so hopefully will solve the issue

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
it's a known issue so they didn't have to do much i guess :p to fix they need to replace the GPS antenna with a new one, it's in the left rear view mirror

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
MB have been having problems with radio antenna amps for a while, I think this is the first GPS antenna I am aware of to fail.
I am sure in the sat nav menu you can view the number of satellites the receiver can see? I would have gone there as a starting point. Knowing where the GPS antenna is located is always a problem, but external mirrors is always a favourite.
At least you are new fixed, but it was expensive.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
There have been a few threads on here and other forums about antenna failures as anyweb mentioned. Bit galling when you think that "diagnosis" will have cost £150 ish at MB. Someone mentioned that the antenna is iro £60. The actual cost to MB for the whole job will be relative peanuts.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There have been a few threads on here and other forums about antenna failures as anyweb mentioned. Bit galling when you think that "diagnosis" will have cost £150 ish at MB. Someone mentioned that the antenna is iro £60. The actual cost to MB for the whole job will be relative peanuts.
£60 for a GPS antenna is really expensive, I have at least 3 in the house & none cost me more than £10.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
£60 for a GPS antenna is really expensive, I have at least 3 in the house & none cost me more than £10.
You need a GPS antenna for your house? Do you not know where it is? :p:D

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah but I bet they're not the exceedingly high quality ones that MB fit :rolleyes: .

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah but I bet they're not the exceedingly high quality ones that MB fit :rolleyes: .
I first used satellite navigation in about 2000 using a laptop, power inverter, GPS receiver, on Autoroute.
The laptop was on my wife’s lap, she was not impressed but it worked. The GPS receivers then were very poor & struggle to find satellites in city areas. GPS receivers have advanced dramatically over time, & the price has dropped considerably. There are loads of Mercedes genuine GPS antennas on EBay starting at £8.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I first used satellite navigation in about 2000 using a laptop, power inverter, GPS receiver, on Autoroute.
The laptop was on my wife’s lap, she was not impressed but it worked. The GPS receivers then were very poor & struggle to find satellites in city areas. GPS receivers have advanced dramatically over time, & the price has dropped considerably. There are loads of Mercedes genuine GPS antennas on EBay starting at £8.
£8 seems about the right price to me.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom