We're not all 25 years old

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
Age 74. Reasonably good health. Reactions not what they were. Therefore I drive accordingly. Observe speed limits. 50-55 on reasonable A roads. 60-65 on motorways. Especially when carrying grandchildren.

So why do I get all this grief from others? Tailgating. Flashing lights (in an attempt to get me to speed up beyond my comfort/safety zone) etc. All of which I ignore. But it's a pain.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
All part of the intolerance of many road users.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Aged 37. I drive similarly, in accordance with speed limit and prevailing road conditions. I avoid potholes, slow to a crawl to overtake horses. I always find some loon sitting 3" away from my rear bumper. My response is always to tap gently on the brakes (to flash the brake lamps) and take my foot off the gas at the same time. 9/10 times thhe will drop back to a safe distance.

In the X Trail I'd be happy for him to come as close as he likes as he'll get a radiator core full of towing hook and steel bounce plate...........

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Dont worry, I'm 30 and drive in a similar manner when not in a hurry. I particularly hate people who expect you to carry on at 30 until 50m before a red light and then suddenly stop rather than roll along at 15 and let it turn green without stopping improving traffic flow.

People then wonder how I get 45-50mpg in my 29 year old merc!

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240 classic est 2000 2.4
Not a lover of speed/speeding myself I do however take other road users into account and try to keep up with the flow of traffic. I also would not unnecessarily travel during rush hour periods if I didn't have too as I do remember "having to be at a certain place at a certain time".(not such a priority now I can choose if I work or not and when I start or stop). There is nothing more frustrating than being behind someone that just is taking nobody else on the road into consideration.

nyx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 1998 e240 saloon
with respect, id not like to be behind a driver who isn't comfortable with being able to handle his car unless he drives way slower than everyone else.

OP
R

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
with respect, id not like to be behind a driver who isn't comfortable with being able to handle his car unless he drives way slower than everyone else.

With respect - I always try to make reasonable progress.Not way slower. Just not as fast as some would like. Hence the grief.

mercman111

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 clk 350 petrol
i just followed an old lady in a ford KA doing 15 mph on a road that you could legally and comfortably do 50 every slight bend she braked till she nearly stopped,im not a young lad wanting to get home quickly but that woman should not be on the road as she is a danger.

OP
R

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i just followed an old lady in a ford KA doing 15 mph on a road that you could legally and comfortably do 50 every slight bend she braked till she nearly stopped,im not a young lad wanting to get home quickly but that woman should not be on the road as she is a danger.

Agreed.

sixpack

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 w212 220
slow drivers

So Mercman, you couldnt overtake a 15mph Ka on a 50mph safe road ?

Peter

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230
I have the opposite gripe, when I come up behind a slow driver way below the speed limit (I do not flash or aggrivate them), overtake them (safely) and then I get flashed.... With the "slow down you maniac" gesture......

Parisien

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320 1996, 1990 C124 300ce, 1989 200TE
Simples, get yourself a dash cam, stick it on back parcel shelf..........

Download footage of the worst of the offenders stick 'em on local police site or email into them, revenge is very sweet when delivered in a cool calculated fashion......:)

P

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Simples, get yourself a dash cam, stick it on back parcel shelf..........

Download footage of the worst of the offenders stick 'em on local police site or email into them, revenge is very sweet when delivered in a cool calculated fashion......:)

P

why?

Parisien

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320 1996, 1990 C124 300ce, 1989 200TE
Aren't these types of driving offences - dangerous,distracting, aggressive and very anti-social?

P

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I have the opposite gripe, when I come up behind a slow driver way below the speed limit (I do not flash or aggrivate them), overtake them (safely) and then I get flashed.... With the "slow down you maniac" gesture......

Had that this morning. I had a guy in a Passat pull out on me causing a rather sudden application of brakes. He then proceeded to tool along at 40 (in a 60) and as there was a faint whiff of fog turn on his fog lights. A quick flash of the lights and he turned off the fog light only to turn it back on again 30 seconds later (bear in mind there was so little fog I could see cars over a 1/4 mile away perfectly clearly).
After a few minutes decided the best bet was to pass which was duly accomplished with a kickdown and roar of V8, comfortably completing the overtake with no drama and plenty of room.
For my troubles this numpty flashed his lights and put high beams on for the next 10 seconds of so.
Now I'm not intolerant of others but really... fog lights are way too over used and are a danger when used incorrectly. And pulling out on a car and then not accelerating to a reasonable speed?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
I like to turn on my side lights momentarily so the rear lights come on and the anchor behind thinks I'm braking . I enjoy doing 60 mph on cruise so the world sees me in my 3.2 w211 posh as lol . there's no need for a lot of what I see on the roads tbh. at times I'm doing 70 in the wet and audis vw's bmw's are passing doing nigh on 100 . add Nissan jukes and quaskais ( sp ) to that list also.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Basically, no matter how fast you go, there will always be some one tailgating you, so it's best just to stick to speed limits, I have found.

Also it means I have a clean licence.

On the German autobahn, you can be doing any speed, and there will still always be someone right up your chuff, so I just back off and pull in. One time I was in a 911 doing 120 mph, and we were tailgated around Stuttgart by a Renault Twingo. Nuts.

Last edited:

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Redcently, there seems to be a belief amongst the general driving public that overtaking is illegal...

Don't know when this happened, but I can't remember the last time I overtook without some ignoramus waving their fist and/or flashing/leaning on the horn.

Here's some news for you lot...OVERTAKING IS A LEGITAMATE TOOL FOR MAKING PROGRESS!!!

Read your ****** Highway code, and let me get on with it!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

I've had that too. The 'flasher' was in a V12 Merc doing barely 35 in a NSL that I can comfortably do 50-odd on even in my barge like R Class

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom