We've Been Cloned - and now fines are stacking up.....

philreed52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270clk
It's a joke... Not.. Catch up with these guys inflict some pain, bet u see plod in 5 min. Or refer to them in the way they deserve same thing 5 min.
The UK has gone nuts, it's not great Britain, it's broken Britain. Even if caught these wxxxstains will just get told off prisons today are so full that I believe judges are TOLD to avoid custodial sentences. So in effect there is no deterent, the s/h will be doin it again 3 days later
It's really annoying that this could all be tightened up in a simple move .Make the sale of SHOW PLATES illegal. You dont need any ID to buy them .I work for a caravan company that is DVLA approved licence plate supplier as most companies are .We have to legally put our contact details on all plates ( no it is not free advertising), comply with legal spacing, keep records of all plates made and finally the person that makes the plate has to sign that they have seen proof of ownership .OR go on flea bay and order what ever plate you like no questions asked. There was a tv show some years back when a reporter cloned plates of a Downing Street car to prove how easy it was but nothing ever became of it typically and the plates are still readily available.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Need to change law. They must prove you were at the location they claim not just car, current situation nuts.

Reactions: DSK

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
When the first drive off was reported that force should have put a marker on PNC to the fact that these plates are cloned. I can understand fixed ANPR site pings not being responded to, but most traffic cars have live ANPR fitted. So at some stage a traffic car will come up behind the cloned car. Just make sure a marker has been put on PNC, or this will never end.
I simply can't remember when I last saw a Traffic Police car when out driving. I don't do a huge number of miles a year and rarely drive in metropolitan areas, but I really wonder what the chances are of a car with cloned plates being spotted this way.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I simply can't remember when I last saw a Traffic Police car when out driving. I don't do a huge number of miles a year and rarely drive in metropolitan areas, but I really wonder what the chances are of a car with cloned plates being spotted this way.
Criminals tend to stick to urban areas, which is where the majority of traffic cars are. The chance of getting caught is just pot luck, but the potential is always there.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I had exactly this. Fortunately I had a dash cam (cheap £18 ebay jobbie) - I simply sent the police the footage from the time and date i was allegedly in one place showing I was elsewhere - and presto never heard anymore from the Speed Camera people or anyone else.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I had exactly this. Fortunately I had a dash cam (cheap £18 ebay jobbie) - I simply sent the police the footage from the time and date i was allegedly in one place showing I was elsewhere - and presto never heard anymore from the Speed Camera people or anyone else.
How did they know it was from your car?

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Need to change law. They must prove you were at the location they claim not just car, current situation nuts.

To easy to keep fleecing the honest motorists rather than Chasing the criminals and taking them down hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I suspect after this speeding offence other offences would have been committed & put as markers on PNC against this registration number. Someone sensible in the camera office cancelled this offence as a result.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
The culprits are unlikely to add to coffers ,you on the other hand ?
I thought plod was to serve and protect ? God knows they have enough over priced transport to get around in...all u hear now is call yr insurers .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The culprits are unlikely to add to coffers ,you on the other hand ?
I thought plod was to serve and protect ? God knows they have enough over priced transport to get around in...all u hear now is call yr insurers .
The problem is the police force has had cut after cut after cut and just no longer has the manpower to fight the criminals effectively. Criminal ineptitude from successive governments helping out criminals in society.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....

They don't. However it's about burden of proof. In order to successfully prove I was speeding usually they just produce a photo with a speed on it and that's it. However the minute someone produces something vaguely sensible to say that they weren't where the Speed cam people say they were all their photo proves is someone was speeding in a car that had a registration plate on it that was very similar / the same. The burden of proof then falls to them to show that it was YOU in YOUR car they photographed not anyone in any car........

I have used the same argument before when I didn't have dashcam footage when I had a speeding ticket come through where I studied the photo really hard. Noticed that at the bottom of the plate I had writing (I assume whoever made the plate) but in the photo there was none - again, sent off a photo of my actual plate along with a letter stating I was in work at the time of the alleged offence and the car was in the car park, stationery, and again, never heard anything.

I have never done it, but I am sure a less honest person than I could get made up some "show plates" that differed significantly to their own (perhaps a flag or something on the side of the plate) and then if they tripped a camera they could just swap the plates to the plain ones and take a photo - so I agree, these show plate companies make a mockery of the law, and mean that unless you are pulled over by a copper, then you would theoretically never be able to be prosecuted for speeding.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
They don't. However it's about burden of proof. In order to successfully prove I was speeding usually they just produce a photo with a speed on it and that's it. However the minute someone produces something vaguely sensible to say that they weren't where the Speed cam people say they were all their photo proves is someone was speeding in a car that had a registration plate on it that was very similar / the same. The burden of proof then falls to them to show that it was YOU in YOUR car they photographed not anyone in any car........

I have used the same argument before when I didn't have dashcam footage when I had a speeding ticket come through where I studied the photo really hard. Noticed that at the bottom of the plate I had writing (I assume whoever made the plate) but in the photo there was none - again, sent off a photo of my actual plate along with a letter stating I was in work at the time of the alleged offence and the car was in the car park, stationery, and again, never heard anything.

I have never done it, but I am sure a less honest person than I could get made up some "show plates" that differed significantly to their own (perhaps a flag or something on the side of the plate) and then if they tripped a camera they could just swap the plates to the plain ones and take a photo - so I agree, these show plate companies make a mockery of the law, and mean that unless you are pulled over by a copper, then you would theoretically never be able to be prosecuted for speeding.
Good response.

I've multiple legal number plates of my registrations as I usually get a new set when I transfer the plate to the next vehicle...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Before now,in the uk my wife has called police to report a robbery going on ,boots flat top roof was next door the our flat. Plod said they were coming ,never did wife stayed up whole night waiting . Boots got cleaned out. three months later,same thing denise didnt bother to call,plod came next day to ask if she saw heard anything .lovely says she heard and saw. But was,nt stayin up all night for f all again. Cant see plod most of time when crime goin on ,always plenty about around here at kicking out time..

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom