What age cars did STAR start to give out AC gas level readings?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
My (not merc) diagnostics is pretty good, but on both Merc cars I have access to a Feb 2006 W211 and a Nov 2006 W221 neither give any indication of the AC gas fill level. It leaves me wondering if its the cars age or the diagnostics tool.

I was looking on mine the other day and found about 10 different air temp readouts on the interior vents which seemed somewhat over the top, plus a load of other waffle, but never found anything on gas fill, which would be quite helpful.

OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
anyone?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Refrigerant is usually added to an a/c as a weight, so other than removing it all & weighing it, I'm not sure how anyone or thing can determine the refrigerant level (apart from when there's not enough for the system to run)

OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
yes, that's what I thought. But a few here have posted info stating the gas level is displayed in STAR and or the favoured aftermarket one many use here

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
yes, that's what I thought. But a few here have posted info stating the gas level is displayed in STAR and or the favoured aftermarket one many use here

I'm sure there are those that think STAR could tell if their car needed washing ... :rolleyes:
I'm sure though it'll be able to give pressure readings from various parts of the system that would give a good idea that the refrigerant needed topping up.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
MB Star will fully test the AC system and report on it since the sensors were fitted to report it.

:)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
MB Star will fully test the AC system and report on it since the sensors were fitted to report it.

:)

How does it weigh the contents ..... pressures at various points yes, but it'd have to use magic to weigh it

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
It is possible to run a diagnostic check on the A/C using the climate control interface on the car.

I had this on my 210 and on my 215. I imagine it's on the 211 and 221. Google it for how to do it and the list of codes.

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
^^This

Also, I'm sure I can read some values on my W210

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
It will only give you a pressure reading, not quantity of gas.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
How does it weigh the contents ..... pressures at various points yes, but it'd have to use magic to weigh it

Of course weight can only be calculated when the refrigerant is removed from the system.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Yes, as star, it gives pressure readings from the high side (I think) You can extrapolate roughly how much gas it in based on high/low side pressures and ambient temperatures but its very vague.

OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
thanks for the replies,

not sure if I saw readings. will take another look in a bit.

as for the in built diagnostics checks that on some you can find if you press buttons for x seconds, this doesn't work on the 221.... although it has stored codes of the attempt with a message like "xxx heater buttons were pressed in excess of x seconds" in the diagnostics !!! (its been on main dealer kit and had modules updated 3 times, had codes cleared on Star and Xentry and individually many times by me using my Autel kit, and had the battery replaced.... yet those button pressed observations it recorded are still there 3 years later

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom