What are front end rods? no service in 25k, AA inspection

MrMercB

Reaction score
Hi,

I went to check out a c180k coupe today and looked over the paper worked and notice a bill for 2 front rod ends. Was just wondering what they were and why they would need changing?

Also the car has not been serviced for 25k miles as far as i am aware as there is no stamps in the book since 24k. Would this be a problem as the price is low and I was going to do a major service as soon as i bought it.

Also i was thinking of doing one of those AA inspections due to the lack of a recent service.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
track rod ends - the joint between the wheel assembly and the steering mechanism. They do wear out and if is done nr 50k then its not a completely unreasonable failure so nothing serious to worry about there.
24k is a bit far to go without a service but not fatal assuming it had been filled with a decent oil in the first place.
An inspection isn't a bad idea, just in case theres something else going on but provided the price is keen, no reason to run away from it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It might have been serviced in a normal garage,,dipping the oil would give some indication or looking in the filler cap,,or unscrew the filter top

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
a good way to get a checkover (inexpensive) is to get it MOT tested.

OP
M

MrMercB

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys. I decided to get an AA inspection as it wasn't very expensive. Touch wood all will be ok.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom