What car options strategy in the next 2,4,6,+ years?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Not sure whether this should start a new thread, might be a short discussion!
Future of diseasels...
So, those of you who have diesels currently what’s your strategy into the next 2,4,6,+ years?
Are you going to ignore the trend and take what (might) be coming in terms of financial penalties
Are you going to change out, and when, and for what?

So, in my case the XC90 is EU6 diesel, it’s leased and has 18 months left before it goes back
For family use, economy, space , driving position for long journeys (especially wife) it’s a great mile cruncher, effortless....
So what next?
Buy it from the lease company is an option, but it’s so full of electronics , lots to go wrong so I’m not convinced. I’m not going another lease as I’m 60 next year with one eye on the exit door to retirement, so next car is a kind of ‘forever’ car
Current thinking is to replace this with a ML350 probably , decent spec not too old ...this of course means diesel...
The i8 will have to go towards retirement time too, so then what to replace that with? Probably something cheap(ish) and cheerful, it’s certainly not a retirement car for sure.
It was, as you might have read elsewhere my last ‘hurrah’
None of this is immediate of course but for once in my car ‘career’ i’d Like to be more planned for the future (wouldn’t be hard :D)

Discuss.....

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I don't think you ever have a forever car as a family one as they tend to change. 4 year lease might be too much but if you could get a 2 or 3 year it might do you and then you'll know if you're retiring or not.

You could get a great deal on an E220d which is a great mile muncher and plenty of family space (especially in estate format). As you've already gone high with a XC the management tend to like to stay up there so try a GLC - not as nice as an E (to me) but suits a lot of people

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
I'm still just 55. My retirement age is 66 or 67 I think. Because both myself and my Fiancee have been married previously we started again to a degree so the mortgage currently runs until I retire.
My Ferrari will go, the CLA' replacement (two times over at least) will go. I might keep my Z3 (not likely). I suspect I will buy whatever is the cheapest to run. I suspect it will be something electric. If petrol is still around I might have myself a late 60's Mustang as I have always had a hankering for one. I can do most of my own maintenance on that too provided I'm still able.

I guess as I don't need a big car a diesel is out, never really liked two diesels I've owned and two I have leased. As you know I'm not a massive fan of EV's but I'll take one if it is cheap to run.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I think we are all in a position of unknown territory regarding buying a car for a long term as who knows whats around the corner?
I chose a diesel last year due to instant torque compared to a similar sized petrol and the economy.

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I'm still just 55. My retirement age is 66 or 67 I think. Because both myself and my Fiancee have been married previously we started again to a degree so the mortgage currently runs until I retire.
My Ferrari will go, the CLA' replacement (two times over at least) will go. I might keep my Z3 (not likely). I suspect I will buy whatever is the cheapest to run. I suspect it will be something electric. If petrol is still around I might have myself a late 60's Mustang as I have always had a hankering for one. I can do most of my own maintenance on that too provided I'm still able.

I guess as I don't need a big car a diesel is out, never really liked two diesels I've owned and two I have leased. As you know I'm not a massive fan of EV's but I'll take one if it is cheap to run.
I’m 59 and my official retiral is 66 , but a lot of factors will kick in over the next 2-3 years , maybe sooner, to decide whether I go early ( voluntarily or otherwise ), BC’s advice therefore make a lot of sense - GLC to be honest though doesn’t appeal (no disrespect to anyone who has one :shock:)
213 estate might do though ....
Similarly the small ish residual mortgage will mature at retiral due to different reasons - however my company exit would pay that off ( unless Brexit continues to ruin business)

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Not sure whether this should start a new thread, might be a short discussion!
Future of diseasels...
So, those of you who have diesels currently what’s your strategy into the next 2,4,6,+ years?
Are you going to ignore the trend and take what (might) be coming in terms of financial penalties
Are you going to change out, and when, and for what?

So, in my case the XC90 is EU6 diesel, it’s leased and has 18 months left before it goes back
For family use, economy, space , driving position for long journeys (especially wife) it’s a great mile cruncher, effortless....
So what next?
Buy it from the lease company is an option, but it’s so full of electronics , lots to go wrong so I’m not convinced. I’m not going another lease as I’m 60 next year with one eye on the exit door to retirement, so next car is a kind of ‘forever’ car
Current thinking is to replace this with a ML350 probably , decent spec not too old ...this of course means diesel...
The i8 will have to go towards retirement time too, so then what to replace that with? Probably something cheap(ish) and cheerful, it’s certainly not a retirement car for sure.
It was, as you might have read elsewhere my last ‘hurrah’
None of this is immediate of course but for once in my car ‘career’ i’d Like to be more planned for the future (wouldn’t be hard :D)

Discuss.....

Needs a new thread............Russell, sort it out:D

I retired almost 5 years ago and bought an E55 a year before that.
The performance of this car has made me decide I'm not downsizing on my next car. Maybe the one after that.;)
Off to test drive an E63 Biturbo on Wednesday. Insurance is a reasonable £423 pa, it will be (slightly) more economical than the E55 and with just a map from MSL I'm looking at around 700bhp. What's not to like?

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Needs a new thread............Russell, sort it out:D

I retired almost 5 years ago and bought an E55 a year before that.
The performance of this car has made me decide I'm not downsizing on my next car. Maybe the one after that.;)
Off to test drive an E63 Biturbo on Wednesday. Insurance is a reasonable £423 pa, it will be (slightly) more economical than the E55 and with just a map from MSL I'm looking at around 700bhp. What's not to like?
Roger - a lot to like there indeed
A factor in my life is a young family (1x 10 yo and 2x 8yos), so the last hurrah is indeed that - sensible will be next and forever!
I’m not sad on that score to be honest, ticked many motoring boxes over the years , just one I missed was AM...

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks for the thread move Russell, this one has legs I feel! I was just replying to AMGeed a few mins ago if you can shift that over dear chap?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’m not sad on that score to be honest, ticked many motoring boxes over the years , just one I missed was AM...
Count yourself lucky...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the thread move Russell, this one has legs I feel! I was just replying to AMGeed a few mins ago if you can shift that over dear chap?
Shift what...:rolleyes:

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
And done !!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
A factor in my life is a young family (1x 10 yo and 2x 8yos), so the last hurrah is indeed that - sensible will be next and forever!

Understandable John and you can look back and say you have had the experience of running a fast V8 Mercedes amongst others.
Family life is always more important than the next car, although they do have to be considered when choosing which one;)

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Understandable John and you can look back and say you have had the experience of running a fast V8 Mercedes amongst others.
Family life is always more important than the next car, although they do have to be considered when choosing which one;)
Yup- had a good few great cars - best 4 are the SL500, the E63, the 840ci and the i8 has joined that quartet
Been very few lemons to be honest except the usual array of repmobiles

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I retired last year at 57 and sold the last diesel I will ever own a couple of months before I retired. Money isn't going to be an issue but I will not be spending large sums of money on a car in the future and my only strategy is to buy want I want when I want it without breaking the bank. There are a lot of very nice cars out there for not a lot of money, AMG's, Maserati's, Aston Martin's to name a few.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’d recommend you try a W213 with the tool eater diseasal for the family for a couple of years until the world sorts out what’s good and bad car wise. I’d also look at a 911 for a bit of fun / investment which you can still get 4 in (and the kids loved mine)

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Well, young man, I'll give a few thoughts.

I turned 60 over the weekend, and like you have a young family (daughter just turned 13). I paid the house off in 1994.

In respect of cars, I have a BMW Z3 in storage that will be the daily when I retire, can't see that any time soon as I work when I want to. I did 'retire' once, before we had daughter. I'm minded to keep the GLE once the 4 year PCP is up, it's done low miles and we need a tug for as long as the heap of crap of a caravan gives us lots of holidays. I should have kept the W221, but you live and learn. Mrs has a qashquai for her commuting all the time she's working.

Like many, we've had tough times recently, and realise we can have a comfortable life into retirement with top ups as and when. Our current thinking is to get young un through school, then sell this house, sort her a home, then move somewhere where property is less expensive, but rentable and go seasonal pitches with the caravan and enjoy our time out all the time we have our health. Some friends have done just that this last year. He's a paramedic, she's a midwife fed up with the daily crap they get from 'managers', so do shifts as and when to keep their tickets up. Lots of options once kid free.

When not tied to school, its amazing what opens up.

I have a mate who retired 22 years ago at 42, bought a small property in Kernow. Goes beating for the gentry this time of year. Volunteers at the NT, does odd jobs fetching and carrying. Doesn't touch his pension and is happier than when he worked. Stopped drinking and took up cooking and teaches blokes to cook when he needs a meal out. The most chauvinistic bloke I know, es submariner. He's the house hubby since retiring.

I certainly don't feel, or act my age, unlike when I started out and thought you were dead by 60. 40 hours a week for 40 years and peg it before retirement was the norm then :eek::D:cool:

Once I get me buss pass, won't need a car ;) driving is not the fun it used to be.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom