What does a "twin" turbo do that a single turbo does'nt?

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
in my opinion the only valid reason to add the complication of a turbo.

Of course there is the fun factor, there's nothing like the feel of a turbo kicking in on an 80s car. I had a succession of R5 Turbos in my youth, a tin box with a single turbo. Great fun.

My SL55 has a a compressor I believe, the power delivery is not so intrusive, it's just bonkers fast all the time. :D

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Of course there is the fun factor, there's nothing like the feel of a turbo kicking in on an 80s car. I had a succession of R5 Turbos in my youth, a tin box with a single turbo. Great fun.

My SL55 has a a compressor I believe, the power delivery is not so intrusive, it's just bonkers fast all the time. :D

You went through the RS Turbo phase too!! Awesome arent they!!

Bonkers fast is the only way though!!!

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
I miss my R5 GT Turbo - wish I'd never sold it. Fun little car

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I miss my R5 GT Turbo - wish I'd never sold it. Fun little car

I knew a guy with a 5 turbo, the mid engined jobbie...what a car...though he was a prat.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Mid-engine one, now you're talking. Boyhood dream car. Quite high prices now.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Malcolm posts a lot...but not in this thread so far.;)

I only normally post on threads where I do have some idea about what is going on, turbos I have never dealt with so no comment from me, and I do not reply to many diesel threads just in case anyone ever noticed

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I only normally post on threads where I do have some idea about what is going on, turbos I have never dealt with so no comment from me, and I do not reply to many diesel threads just in case anyone ever noticed

It wasn't a dig...just someone mentioned your name by mistake.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Turbos have been around a long time notably in the aviation industry all that " thin air"

History http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbochargers

Forced induction dates from the late 19th century, when Gottlieb Daimler patented the technique of using a gear-driven pump to force air into an internal combustion engine in 1885. The turbocharger was invented by Swiss engineer Alfred Büchi (1879-1959), the head of diesel engine research at Gebruder Sulzer engine manufacturing company in Winterhur,who received a patent in 1905 for using a compressor driven by exhaust gasses to force air into a diesel engine to increase power output but it took another 20 years for the idea to come to fruition. During World War I French engineer Auguste Rateau fitted turbochargers to Renault engines powering various French fighters with some success.In 1918, General Electric engineer Sanford Alexander Moss attached a turbo to a V12 Liberty aircraft engine. The engine was tested at Pikes Peak in Colorado at 14,000 ft (4,300 m) to demonstrate that it could eliminate the power loss usually experienced in internal combustion engines as a result of reduced air pressure and density at high altitude. General Electric called the system turbosupercharging. At the time, all forced induction devices were known as superchargers, however more recently the term "supercharger" is usually applied to only mechanically-driven forced induction devices.

Turbochargers were first used in production aircraft engines such as the Napier Lioness in the 1920s, although they were less common than engine-driven centrifugal superchargers. Ships and locomotives equipped with turbocharged Diesel engines began appearing in the 1920s. Turbochargers were also used in aviation, most widely used by the United States, which led the world in the technology due to General Electric's early start. During World War II, notable examples of US aircraft with turbochargers include the B-17 Flying Fortress, B-24 Liberator, P-38 Lightning and P-47 Thunderbolt. The technology was also used in experimental fittings by a number of other manufacturers, notably a variety of Focke-Wulf Fw 190 models, but the need for advanced high-temperature metals in the turbine kept them out of widespread use.

FIBAMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180,C180,E300TURBO DIESEL
Turbos have been around a long time notably in the aviation industry all that " thin air"

History http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbochargers

Forced induction dates from the late 19th century, when Gottlieb Daimler patented the technique of using a gear-driven pump to force air into an internal combustion engine in 1885. The turbocharger was invented by Swiss engineer Alfred Büchi (1879-1959), the head of diesel engine research at Gebruder Sulzer engine manufacturing company in Winterhur,who received a patent in 1905 for using a compressor driven by exhaust gasses to force air into a diesel engine to increase power output but it took another 20 years for the idea to come to fruition. During World War I French engineer Auguste Rateau fitted turbochargers to Renault engines powering various French fighters with some success.In 1918, General Electric engineer Sanford Alexander Moss attached a turbo to a V12 Liberty aircraft engine. The engine was tested at Pikes Peak in Colorado at 14,000 ft (4,300 m) to demonstrate that it could eliminate the power loss usually experienced in internal combustion engines as a result of reduced air pressure and density at high altitude. General Electric called the system turbosupercharging. At the time, all forced induction devices were known as superchargers, however more recently the term "supercharger" is usually applied to only mechanically-driven forced induction devices.

Turbochargers were first used in production aircraft engines such as the Napier Lioness in the 1920s, although they were less common than engine-driven centrifugal superchargers. Ships and locomotives equipped with turbocharged Diesel engines began appearing in the 1920s. Turbochargers were also used in aviation, most widely used by the United States, which led the world in the technology due to General Electric's early start. During World War II, notable examples of US aircraft with turbochargers include the B-17 Flying Fortress, B-24 Liberator, P-38 Lightning and P-47 Thunderbolt. The technology was also used in experimental fittings by a number of other manufacturers, notably a variety of Focke-Wulf Fw 190 models, but the need for advanced high-temperature metals in the turbine kept them out of widespread use.

I believe I may have hearing damage from the screaming Napier turbos fitted to some English Electric diesels.

Nice article thoughwell done.

FIBAMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180,C180,E300TURBO DIESEL

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom