What does this warning chime mean?

rbatt

Reaction score
I've just bought a 2000 c220 cdi. One of the jobs that needs doing is the fixing the unreadable pixels on the instrument cluster. I have found someone to do the work, but in the meantime I have a question.

Although many of the pixels are missing, I am able to make out the last 2 digits in the trip mileage display box as the trip mileage increases. However, sometimes there is a warning chime and the display in this box changes and something (unreadable) flashes. Any ideas? It happens at different speeds (but mainly 50-65mph) and I do not have a speed limiter on my cruise control lever.

Should I be concerned. The only other lights on is the SRS light. I need a new seat pad.

Thanks

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Are you sure you don,t have a speed limiter? if you push the knob on the end of the CC lever it should illuminate a tiny yellow LED, once this is lit the speed limit is set (when over 25mph IIRC) by pushing the stalk up to increase in increments of 5mph and pushed down to reduce in increment of 5mph, if you pull the CC lever forward it will increase in increments of 1mph, once a speed is set it should illuminate a yellow light on the dash stating limit, though this maybe in your digital display which you cannot read.
Both CC and speed limter are part of the same system and I don,t believe I have ever seen a post 98 vehicle with only one or the other, I,m sure others would confirm this.
The chime is possibly the fact the SRS light is on and it is considered a safety system it is chiming to tell you that the airbags in the event of an accident may not work, have you had the fact it needs a new seat pad diagnosed? though it is the most common reason for it being illuminated it could also be that someone has turned the ignition on with an airbag disconnected, either way it will need to be plugged into STAR to extinguish the light (even after the seat pad is replaced) better just to try to get it turned off first

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As the SRS lamp or chime is not always on,,then I would check the passenger seat belt buckle and the connector under the seat for a poor connection

OP
R

rbatt

Reaction score
Thank you for the input. My wife's old Mclass had a limiter on the cruise control lever, but my one just has Resume, Off, Accel Set and Decel Set. It does not seem to press in or out.

When the chime goes off something unreadable starts to flash in the mileage trip window. Is this where the speed limiter would flash if fitted?

The SRS is always on, it has been diagnosed as a faulty seat pad.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thank you for the input. My wife's old Mclass had a limiter on the cruise control lever, but my one just has Resume, Off, Accel Set and Decel Set. It does not seem to press in or out.

When the chime goes off something unreadable starts to flash in the mileage trip window. Is this where the speed limiter would flash if fitted?

The SRS is always on, it has been diagnosed as a faulty seat pad.

This could just be the connector under the seat on the multi plug and a very common fault,,in the odd cases where the pad is at fault it is usually a broken wire leading to the pad and easily repaired.

The light if on all of the time can only be turned off on STAR

Top Bottom