What engine do I have fitted?

Billy Big Roy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400 Convertible
Hi All, a strange thread I'm sure, but after spending several hours on google, I haven't found the answer I'm looking for hence this thread.

I have an October 2014 E400 Convertible. The logbook states its a 3.5 ltr as does the service book BUT I ordered a K&N filter for it and went to fit it tonight, and it doesn't fit.

I checked the part number against the car reg, and the filter is the correct one, but on further investigation my car has the 3.0 ltr Bi-turbo engine fitted?

Ive looked on VIN confirmation chassis sites, but I can't confirm the engine number to type, so I'm left confused.

I can't fond any information either as to when the bi-turbo engine started being installed in the A207 model either?

I'll speak to Mercedes tomorrow, but can anyone offer any explanation tonight?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Put your Vin # into this decoder and it will give you your engine type both at the top (first 3 numbers are the engine code) and at the bottom . It will look like M....

https://www.datamb.com/

OP
Billy Big Roy

Billy Big Roy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Perfect! thank you. It states I have the 3.5 ltr engine, but I have the bi-turbo induction set up? I've compared pictures on google and the filters I purchased are for the 3.5 ltr, but my car takes the 3.0 ltr filters?

I need to have a good look tomorrow as I fear its had an engine swap.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
You should have a 3.0 litre V6 bi-turbo as said above. Its wierd that your logbook, service book and VIN decoder all say you have a 3.5 litre.

OP
Billy Big Roy

Billy Big Roy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd suggest you leave the original filter.

I've always found the K&N filter in a turbo charged engine will smooth out the power delivery, and reading about the E400 and the K&N, it got good feedback.

At 50, I don't fit it for sound or BHP, I fit them as I have found they make a noticeable difference.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Not according to my logbook, service book and VIN checker?

Just posted up a picture of my logbook engine CC.
Its not unheard of for DVLA to add incorrect information the the logbook. The service book and VIN are not normally wrong. Can you show us the VIN decode or better still what is the VIN?

OP
Billy Big Roy

Billy Big Roy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its not unheard of for DVLA to add incorrect information the the logbook. The service book and VIN are not normally wrong. Can you show us the VIN decode or better still what is the VIN?

WDD2074612F297403

Everything I have from Mercedes including the service book and the 3 year service pack state the car has a 3.5 ltr engine.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Regardless of the engine, forget the K&N filter. It won’t improve performance and may result in increased cylinder bore wear. Too late to go into the why’s and wherefore of it, but K&N are basically snake oil salesmen.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I've always found the K&N filter in a turbo charged engine will smooth out the power delivery, and reading about the E400 and the K&N, it got good feedback.

At 50, I don't fit it for sound or BHP, I fit them as I have found they make a noticeable difference.
I'm sure all the big manufactures would fit them if they made a difference ;)

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
K&n used to make a difference when engines had crap standard intakes.

Now they don't you are better just changing the OEM paper more often.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

That’s called the placebo effect. You paid money for it therefore subconsciously you want it to be better than what was there before. A K&N filter will do diddly squat for power delivery as a turbocharged engine is mapped for air intake vs fuel injection. So allowing more air in than an OEM filter (or less, possibly- that’s the whole argument around these filters) will just cause the engine ECU to ease back on power for a given throttle input.

The difference between a K&N and an OEM filter is not noticeable performance- wise but it is measureable. What we find is that there is a small (+/- a few percent, or percentage points dependent) difference in mass airflow at different speed ranges, say 0-10mph, 11-20 etc. The better performer could go either way but across the board, at the speed ranges where one would expect performance to matter (high speed or high boost conditions) in general we found the OEM paper filter to have better performance as the engine measures it.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
WDD2074612F297403

Everything I have from Mercedes including the service book and the 3 year service pack state the car has a 3.5 ltr engine.
Every where I have looked also says it is a 3.5l V6, I thought all E400's were 3.0l but clearly I was wrong.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Regardless of the engine, forget the K&N filter. It won’t improve performance and may result in increased cylinder bore wear. Too late to go into the why’s and wherefore of it, but K&N are basically snake oil salesmen.

ITotally agree with above.
I recommend ringing Grangemouth best prices on genuine MB stuff.
And cheap delivery eg £5 on a massive battery!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Too right. They just quoted me under £100 for a new rear wiper motor, delivered. Top man is Neil on their parts desk.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
WDD2074612F297403

Yip, here’s your data card

Attachments

• wdd2074612f297403.pdf
    408.1 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom