What got you into a Mercedes Benz?

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
Customer Service is pretty diabolical too... seems to be just a post box now....

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I think they have fallen somewhat behind the pack in the marque category. Dont think a lot of the basic range are perceived as a class car any longer.
They are still my brand of choice as obviously the choice of the majority of us on this forum. They still give me the ‘Feel Good’ factor regardless of what other people think and I love the style of them :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
They are still my brand of choice as obviously the choice of the majority of us on this forum. They still give me the ‘Feel Good’ factor regardless of what other people think and I love the style of them :)
There is a certain feel to a Mercedes that I have yet to find in other vehicles. Very hard to put into words but its part of the ambience, tactile feel of controls and feeling of solidity.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
There is a certain feel to a Mercedes that I have yet to find in other vehicles. Very hard to put into words but its part of the ambience, tactile feel of controls and feeling of solidity.
Depends my r230 oozed quality, and felt special. I not sure my ml250 is any better in quality than a new kia sportage., and for sure some of the interior fittings, trim are nothing like the r230.. I ok with it for what I use it for. But doubt it better than a well spec sportage or kuga.

Last edited:

Hotspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
I have a new BMW, a 10 year old E-Class, my brother has a new Porsche, my neighbour has a newish Audi and newish CLS...got to say, my 10 year old E-class whilst not as sporty as the BMW or Porsche, or quiet as the Audi...or as sexy looking as the CLS - it is a better drive in my opinion than all of them, and the bulletproof build quality and solid feel is leagues ahead of all the others, and they are all new or relatively new in comparison to my 10 year old E...there is something about the way Merc's feel, and the ones around 10 years old (some older, some slightly newer) felt (feel) solid and don't feel cheap or a result of cost cutting...well to me anyway.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Same as Ford!!!
Never regarded ford as a Marque ajlsl600. I'm just disillusioned with most marque brands and their ability to reach decent mileage without needing a fortune of parts, theres no more price equals quality in the sub £40K diesel vehicle

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Definitely agree quality of build, comfort and that feel are a few of the things that everyone looks for and expects in a Marque. Interior is one place Mercedes still has that quality design feel

Last edited:

Syzsounds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/2010/
Honestly ?
Well, After furlough and loosing my job i got into the funeral industry ( I was very busy at the time ) Most of the cars and hearses were mercs and i loved driving them old and new.
Your not always at 5 miles an hour and we did have to get shifting to other places quite often.
Loved the feel and the drive so thought id better get one !

Not_Anumber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E350cdi prefaclift
Honestly ?
Well, After furlough and loosing my job i got into the funeral industry ( I was very busy at the time ) Most of the cars and hearses were mercs and i loved driving them old and new.
Your not always at 5 miles an hour and we did have to get shifting to other places quite often.
Loved the feel and the drive so thought id better get one !
Ive always thought an old Mercedes hearse would make a great large estate car. Always surprised they didn't make an R class hearse.

Syzsounds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/2010/
Ive always thought an old Mercedes hearse would make a great large estate car. Always surprised they didn't make an R class hearse.
Well we used Colemon Milne converted ones , Huge ****** things, Surprisingly easy to drive backwards .
I wouldn't have a second hand hearse for a private car unless your willing to completely strip and clean the back end , Spillages happen :(
I'm not in that industry anymore as my background is more maintenance based so bought my new car to use for work, My old Accord tourer was getting on a bit and i didn't want to lose the toys i already had.
Managed to give her a bit of a handful tonight on the way home ... I'm very happy with my choice.

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
When I bought my first Mercedes-Benz I had test driven a jaguar beforehand and was due to drive a BMW after the Mercedes-Benz. However, I knew I was running out of time for my insurance company plus I remember being told years prior by work colleagues how good Mercedes-Benz car’s were. Although they were all buying W124’s. Anyway, my son and I realised that we didn’t have time to test drive the BMW and get back if the Mercedes-Benz was going to be the choice so we had to go for the Mercedes-Benz. So glad I did though as it opened up a whole new driving experience. I will never drive another make ever again. Although looking for my third Mercedes-Benz after my second failed with a major automatic gearbox issue just 2 weeks after buying it, is proving challenging to say the least.
I might need to get a cheap run around temporarily while looking for my third Mercedes-Benz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
SInce passing my test in 1973, I have always had practical cars that suited my pocket rather than a wish list car. A Vauxhall Viva HB, followed by a Morris Marina Estate, A Talbot Horizon, followed by a Renault 10, then a Renault 5, a Fiat Mirafiori, then Opel Ascona, then a Vauxhall Carlton followed by a Vauxhall Carlton Diplomat, lovely car. A Rover 75 and finally a Peugeot 607 that lasted 12 years, a great car for cruising on the continent. Just part exchanged that for my current, and first Mercedes. A 2009 E250CDi Coupe. Had the car for 2 weeks and am really loving it. The ride is a bit firm with low body clearance, have to be especially careful going over sleeping Policemen where I live. Am looking forward to going on the Continent again,when permitted. Anything I need to know or be aware of?
Many thanks.
That's some history of car's to have owned ...what did you think of the Rover 75? Was a dream of mine at one time to own one.

lewyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
My best friend’s Dad used to say that MB were the finest motor cars money can buy. So I got into the, my Mrs also has a very soft spot for an SLK.

In hindsight, my mate’s Dad drove a Land Rover and maybe the bar was set low. It actually burest into flames one night when he gave us a lift to the pub.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
That's some history of car's to have owned ...what did you think of the Rover 75? Was a dream of mine at one time to own one.
My farther had two 75’s saloon and late the estate, brilliant car with the KV6 engines, I’ve seriously thought about getting one for myself if I could find one in decent shape

Hotspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
My farther had two 75’s saloon and late the estate, brilliant car with the KV6 engines, I’ve seriously thought about getting one for myself if I could find one in decent shape

Rover 75? I think DriveTribe were selling there's in BRG after doing some work to it - not sure if they sold it before buying their current V10 M5 Estate - or whether they still have it if you are interested.

BPD07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w208 CLK ragtop, r230 SL350
I worked for the Finance arm back in the 90s and actually quite liked my company C an E classes. Then about five years ago I got into SLK (r170s) and w208 (CLK) ragtops and liked them. I did buy a newer E class convertible but it wasn’t really anything special just expensive it seemed.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Rover 75? I think DriveTribe were selling there's in BRG after doing some work to it - not sure if they sold it before buying their current V10 M5 Estate - or whether they still have it if you are interested.
If I wasn’t about to move again then I would be very interested, maybe one day just not right now. They were wonderfully comfortable machines though

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I've just re read my opening post in this thread and noticed I started my love affair with a W140 S500, not a W124 as posted.
After 10 pages, nobody picked me up on it either.

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E-Class E280 Sport Estate (OM642 3-litre diesel V6), 3x remapped, now returned to stock
I've just re read my opening post in this thread and noticed I started my love affair with a W140 S500, not a W124 as posted.
After 10 pages, nobody picked me up on it either.
I started my love affair with WD40 in 1992.

Top Bottom