What got you into a Mercedes Benz?

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
I may have brought this up before, but thought it might be interesting to hear how you first decided to buy a Mercedes and have you been generally happy with that decision?

I more or less decided I would own one the day I first landed in Abu Dhabi in 1998 to meet up with my sister who has lived there since 1978. My brother in law arrived to pick me up in a W124 Tanzanite Blue S500 with cream leather and the luxury and power of this car was something new to me.
Coming from a noisy, hard riding Sierra Sapphire Cosworth which I thought was the dogs danglies I had my eyes opened to a whole new world of car ownership.
That was when I vowed I'd have one, not necessarily an S class, but a Mercedes and in 2003 I was the owner of my first, a W210 E280 Avantgarde.

A great car, so much so that I bought another newer facelifted one, then decided a quick one was due so moved into my W211 E55K in 2013. After 6 great years with that car I finally got the car I had been after for years, the current E63 Biturbo. Zero regrets with this one too, and although I have been tempted by a couple of the offerings of Audi, I'm happy to be in the car I now have.
How about you?
My dad basically. He had them and used to enthuse about their build quality. So when I was offered my first new company car back in the 80’s, Mercedes it was for me. Apart from one (disasterous) Volvo, ive had at least one or two since. Around twenty in total. Best has to be the C55. Worst - Smart car.

bootybandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 CDi Coupé
SInce passing my test in 1973, I have always had practical cars that suited my pocket rather than a wish list car. A Vauxhall Viva HB, followed by a Morris Marina Estate, A Talbot Horizon, followed by a Renault 10, then a Renault 5, a Fiat Mirafiori, then Opel Ascona, then a Vauxhall Carlton followed by a Vauxhall Carlton Diplomat, lovely car. A Rover 75 and finally a Peugeot 607 that lasted 12 years, a great car for cruising on the continent. Just part exchanged that for my current, and first Mercedes. A 2009 E250CDi Coupe. Had the car for 2 weeks and am really loving it. The ride is a bit firm with low body clearance, have to be especially careful going over sleeping Policemen where I live. Am looking forward to going on the Continent again,when permitted. Anything I need to know or be aware of?
Many thanks.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
SInce passing my test in 1973, I have always had practical cars that suited my pocket rather than a wish list car. A Vauxhall Viva HB, followed by a Morris Marina Estate, A Talbot Horizon, followed by a Renault 10, then a Renault 5, a Fiat Mirafiori, then Opel Ascona, then a Vauxhall Carlton followed by a Vauxhall Carlton Diplomat, lovely car. A Rover 75 and finally a Peugeot 607 that lasted 12 years, a great car for cruising on the continent. Just part exchanged that for my current, and first Mercedes. A 2009 E250CDi Coupe. Had the car for 2 weeks and am really loving it. The ride is a bit firm with low body clearance, have to be especially careful going over sleeping Policemen where I live. Am looking forward to going on the Continent again,when permitted. Anything I need to know or be aware of?
Many thanks.
Regarding policemen of the sleeping variety if you care about your alloys then put one wheel over the middle of the hump and one in the gap. Don’t straddle them as that puts all the weight and stress on the unsupported inner edge of the wheel.
This leads to premature wear of the tyres and cracked alloys.
The least said about your first few cars the better…:shock:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Regarding policemen of the sleeping variety if you care about your alloys then put one wheel over the middle of the hump and one in the gap. Don’t straddle them as that puts all the weight and stress on the unsupported inner edge of the wheel.
I have always in the past straddled them without any issues at all. Having said that it is a very rare occasion where I have to go over them anyway :rolleyes:

bootybandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 CDi Coupé
With the Sleeping Policemen, I do as you say, but when they are the whole width of the road, and quite viscious in height, it is more difficult to negotiate.

bootybandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 CDi Coupé
I have always in the past straddled them without any issues at all. Having said that it is a very rare occasion where I have to go over them anyway :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, the estate I live on is a private one whereby the Sleeping Policemen are placed to prevent joy riders from hurtling around.

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R 230 SL 500 2004 & Nissan Navara, Jag E-Pace, BMW Z4
Yes when the square ones all appeared Mrs Q managed to knacker 2 front tyre inners on her Crossfire (There is an SLK in there somewhere), another car she kept for year, I bought new tyres for MOT and then decided she wanted something else !!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Parents had them. When I could first afford one, I found the looks dated so drove BMWs etc until about 10 years ago when i purchased a new SLK 350 (R172). Wife has been driving an A class since they were first launched and now a B class.

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R 230 SL 500 2004 & Nissan Navara, Jag E-Pace, BMW Z4
We've had all sorts of cars, if I go through them all then the word French may describe the largest number we have had, though not by particularly looking for French cars, just buying what was best for our budget. Anyway, we had a couple of 2 seat convertibles in the past and I managed to persuade Mrs Q that her beloved MGTF should be replaced by a Boxster S, which we had for around 5 years. Time came to look for something newer (perhaps even sat nav and a CD) and remembered a nice SL500 I once followed, took about year looking then took the plunge. The whole family said 'Why do you want to swap the Porsche for that ?' but once they had been in it they agreed it is a step up. Since then Mrs Q has bought (Well I bought it for her) a GLC 350 Coupe, both our daughters are on their second A and GLA class, Son in Law also in an A Class so much that we have been asked a few times if one of us works in a Mercedes Dealership.
I nearly swayed during gap in lockdowns for a BMW 640D, but it wasn't to be, I have persuaded Mrs Q that the SL will probably go by 2023 and will be replaced with a C207 E Coupe again looking for more upto date tech decent sat nav perhaps, blueteeth etc. and most of my driving is sat at 70 on the M6, or crawling behind tractors, trucks, 1930cars etc on A & B roads

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Where do I start?!

From growing up in the back of W202s, to turning spanners on my w210 e320 when I was 20, to where I am now (with what my wife calls a "car problem").....

E: I missed out an addiction to AMG's and my car's appearances on fifth gear a few times :p

Last edited:

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
30 years ago it wasn't an illusion.

It is now.
Might not quite be the marque it once was, but still a motor people aspire to, and still perceived as a class car, i think so anyway. :)

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
I think they have fallen somewhat behind the pack in the marque category. Dont think a lot of the basic range are perceived as a class car any longer.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Might not quite be the marque it once was, but still a motor people aspire to, and still perceived as a class car, i think so anyway. :)
Wait until you get under the skin on 2022 model car. It's not MB specific, all the brands are on a race to build the car as cheaply as possible. The tech is still class leading.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
I think they have fallen somewhat behind the pack in the marque category. Dont think a lot of the basic range are perceived as a class car any longer.
Don't agree, Kev, but hey, all about opinions. :)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Wait until you get under the skin on 2022 model car. It's not MB specific, all the brands are on a race to build the car as cheaply as possible. The tech is still class leading.
Don't agree. Sorry

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's why so many makes about now.. Cos we don't all agree. I remember when audi was thought as as poor man benz! At least = to now as are a good nu of others.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom