What Happened ?

Y23TAP

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK 230
I have a 2001 230 SLK Auto with tiptronic and was travelling along at 50 mph in a line of traffic when we came up behind a car towing a caravan. We reached a straight stretch of road and there was no oncoming traffic and the car in front looked like he was going to overtake.Intending to follow suit I was dropping into shift 4 when he braked sharply, I braked and went to accelerate but found the car was shifting down gears and I was rapidly stopping with the result that I was rammed in the back by the car behind.I had only made 1 left movement with the gear lever.
Any Rational Explanation ?
The car was totalled, I`ve bought a replacement and don`t want the same thing to happen
Many thanks

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Sounds like the SBC decided you wanted to do an emergency stop.

Don't worry about it, the car behind was traveling too close and fast.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The SLK does not have SBC brakes

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
The SLK does not have SBC brakes
I know, Sorry. For some reason I read the car as R230... Doh..:Oops:

It must have been SBC being activated or just the gearbox Tip having a moment ad changing down gears, but I doubt that would slow the car quickly enough for another to hit it hard from behind.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have not tried to knock the box down, when coming to a halt, I suppose it could bring the car to an abrupt stop without showing any brake lamps

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
But the gearbox ECU will stop the box engaging low gear at speed to stop engine damage and loss of driver control, hence I think it's just BAS activation and the car behind being too close.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But the gearbox ECU will stop the box engaging low gear at speed to stop engine damage and loss of driver control, hence I think it's just BAS activation and the car behind being too close.

True the box will do that, I always avoid using the engine braking to avoid damage to the bores

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
if the OP was already in 4th via tip, then hit the pedal hard, he may well have been dropped to 3rd, this would have given additional braking force when he backed off the pedal, but I still dont think this is anything to do with the accident, the car behind was too close, end of

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The car will not have had SBC (as has been said) but it will have had BAS. That has led to accidents in the past when people have not realised the effectiveness of the system.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Maybe the O/p hit the brake pedal instead of the accelerator.

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
Maybe the O/p hit the brake pedal instead of the accelerator.

Possible, but also could have just been gearbox confusion as he had shifted down then braked then tried to accelerate. A rare but possible 'I dunno' :confused: moment for the ECU.

Luckily, as he was hit from behind, it's not his fault and could buy another.

Dave

Top Bottom