What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
They’ve moved a lot further south these days Jim?
When I still lived North of the border they only ventured as far as Dundee I think?
Seemed a decent lot

Indeed, they are still expanding too. They have branches as far south as Carlisle now and opened two new ones this year, one in Dumbarton, and one in Kilmarnock.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Have replaced the engine breather valve by the oil filler diaphragm was hard and split.

Finally fixed rear light issue by soldering over burnt part causing shorting .

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I must have driven through some white paint during the week. what a swine to get off. :eek: It's still all inside of the wheel arches on the near side, don't quite know how to deal with that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I must have driven through some white paint during the week. what a swine to get off. :eek: It's still all inside of the wheel arches on the near side, don't quite know how to deal with that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)
Drive through some turps? :D

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
Driven it all he way to the supermarket only to realise I've left the shopping list, any method of payment and my phone so even the option of the Mrs photographing the list & doing a £50 emergency cash point was out of the question. Idiot. Nice drive out in the sunshine though.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(In best Victor Meldrew voice) I don't believe it! :(:(

Twice in a row, TWICE! :rolleyes::mad::rolleyes:

Took my car into the bodyshop to get my o/s/r wheel arch blister repaired, and for the second time in as many weeks, got royally *ucked around.

I was asked to wait outside in the car while they got the place opened up and prepped so, like a good boy I waited sitting reading and listening to some music while they got ready, for an hour, before being told that they couldn't do it today, again, and that was despite going in yesterday afternoon and double checking (after the last time) that they could, and would do it today.

Absolutely :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Jeezus, I felt like murdering someone!

The only reason I go back to the guy is that he normally does a marvelous job and at a fair price too.

Oh well that's it, once bitten, twice shy, no more. I hate people extracting the urine, I'll take my car and money elsewhere. Now I just need to find another shop whose work I like. Bu99er!

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
Fitted a new belt tensioner assembly, new crankcase breather hoses and unblocked the stub on the inlet manifold that the breather hose connects to. A busy couple of days, I'll be happy enough if I never see another W168 belt tensioner...

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof

Took my car into the bodyshop to get my o/s/r wheel arch blister repaired, and for the second time in as many weeks, got royally *ucked around.

I was asked to wait outside in the car while they got the place opened up and prepped so, like a good boy I waited sitting reading and listening to some music while they got ready, for an hour, before being told that they couldn't do it today, again, and that was despite going in yesterday afternoon and double checking (after the last time) that they could, and would do it today.

Absolutely :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Jeezus, I felt like murdering someone!

The only reason I go back to the guy is that he normally does a marvelous job and at a fair price too.

Oh well that's it, once bitten, twice shy, no more. I hate people extracting the urine, I'll take my car and money elsewhere. Now I just need to find another shop whose work I like. Bu99er!
What was there reason?

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)

That really is awful - like you, I’m usually prepared to give someone a second chance but that’s it as far as I’m concerned. As a Andy said, did he give you any explanation?

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What was there reason?
That really is awful - like you, I’m usually prepared to give someone a second chance but that’s it as far as I’m concerned. As a Andy said, did he give you any explanation?

A breakdown in communication between the staff (prep guys) and the boss (who does the painting). I spoke with one of the staff yesterday, today the boss said that I should only discuss prep and painting with him as, they are not completely aware of his work load. Why TF not?

Unfortunately, when I am as angry as that, I cannot think rationally and as a result have learned to keep my mouth shut for fear of offending or punching someone in the mouth if I get further wound up by smart ass answers.

The boss re-entered my details, etc... in their diary, just like his employee did the last time it happened and, promised that he would do it in a fortnight, (which is the next time I can get the car to his premises). I wonder how he'll feel when I phone him up an hour after my appointment time and tell him I can't make it?

The thing that *isses me off most, is the lost long lie. It is expected that I do every second Saturday at work and I have gotten to the stage that when my Saturday off comes around I need it, 'cos I'm knackered, I usually sleep until at least 10-00 a.m. I know that it seems petty, but, I need the rest, (welcome to the hell that is my life). :p

I had a bad feeling about this morning, and went to bed early (midnight). I got up at 7-50 a.m. and this gave me an extra hour in bed but it's not enough. I feel asleep while watching P2 and P3 of the Monaco GP and missed around an hour of each session. I managed to stay awake through qualifying.

It's not been a good day :(:( Swmbo's right, I'm turning into Victor Meldrew. :D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Is this your UK to France work horse?
It is indeed.
General workhorse for everything from moving furniture to tip runs with long distance French trips thrown in. Now at 153k miles.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I'm turning into Victor Meldrew. :D

Well done for not letting rip when getting the bad news. When your exasperation has time to cool you may just revise your plan. You know he charges reasonably and you know he does good work. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face Jimbo. What will really spoil your day, is if some other fellow does poor work on your splendid car and over charges you for the privilege.

Its booked in, confirm your booking with the man himself. Then decide on the day. Good work and reasonable costs may just trump your ire.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well done for not letting rip when getting the bad news. When your exasperation has time to cool you may just revise your plan. You know he charges reasonably and you know he does good work. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face Jimbo. What will really spoil your day, is if some other fellow does poor work on your splendid car and over charges you for the privilege.

Its booked in, confirm your booking with the man himself. Then decide on the day. Good work and reasonable costs may just trump your ire.

I have had time to cool off Mac, (something else I've learned to do), before making an important decision.
I had reached the same conclusion as you, with the back up plan of checking out a couple of other options.

I decided, on my way home, to get a quote from three other bodyshops who are customers, all being recommended by people I know and trust.

The first quote was considerably more expensive, however, he has a fantastic reputation, plus, he wanted to do the complete quarter panel to guarantee colour match, blend and finish, no short cuts or cheap jobs. The fellow's an absolute perfectionist.

The second one gave me two prices, first option, to do the job the same way my original guy was going to do the job, at the same price, second option, to do the complete quarter panel which, is what they'd prefer to do, for the same reasons as the first quoter, although some £70 cheaper than the expensive guy.

The third guy will get his gaffer to give me their price on Monday.

All have their merits, the second guy is also used by the people I bought my car from and they are very particular about who they use, the work quality and how much money they will spend. The third guy was recommended by my line manager who is even more OCD about his car than I am about mine.

So at least I have options. At worst at the moment, it will cost me £140 more to get the job done, at best, (if I decide to go down that route), it will be the same price.

I am very tempted to get the complete quarter panel done, as I intend to keep the car, plus it will only cost £70 more than the original quote, if I go with the second quoter, the original involved painting from the wheel arch up to the swage line and blending halfway down the quarter. All this for a blister/bubble which is about half the size of a 5p. Decisions, decisions. :rolleyes::rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

peternutkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi estate 2001
View attachment 50349 View attachment 50348 View attachment 50349

I have been working out our fuel consumption for our recent trip to the north of Scotland. I drive like an old man - which I am, mainly for economy. No rapid acceleration or hard braking and at around 60 mph on the motorway, if you can bear to to it the results can be surprising. View attachment 50348 View attachment 50348 View attachment 50349

The car has a turbo fault that prevents much power over 2000 rpm but it will do 70 mph at 2000 rpm in 6th gear (manual box) and will climb 95% of hills in 6th.

This is a better consumption that i get from my Peugeot 406 Hdi and its a heavier and more powerful car, I am astounded. The car is a w203 C220 Cdi estate.

Peter

Attachments

• DSCF2733.JPG
    DSCF2733.JPG
    396.6 KB · Views: 20

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
It is indeed.
General workhorse for everything from moving furniture to tip runs with long distance French trips thrown in. Now at 153k miles.
Must be one the best value for money for miles out there :). Just shows what cars can do if they're looked after. You cannot really compare, but the wifes Yaris has only costs us two rear brake cylinders, bulbs and a some servicing in over 10 years now.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom