What have you done to your UnMerc today?

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
In a blatant and totally shameless attempt at plagiarism, I decided that I would start a thread for those of us who no longer have our Mercedes cars and have moved onto pastures new, whether it be by choice or, perhaps been forced upon us by economic necessity as was the case with myself.

So, what did I do to my UnMerc today?

Today I got up early (for a Saturday off) at around 9.30a.m. with all good intentions of whipping off all the wheels on my unMerc and painting the hubs and calipers. As you can see from the pictures of the front hub I took they were rather badly needing done, sadly the weather over the last two months has not been helpful for anything except a very quick wash with hypothermia as the only possible side effect to follow for those brave enough or stupid enough, as Swmbo christened me, lol.
Before :-
IMG_4519.JPG

After :- IMG_4521.JPG IMG_4522.JPG IMG_4523.JPG IMG_4524.JPG

I apologise for not showing the wheel off shots but due to the inclement weather here in not so sunny Ayrshire, I couldn't get started until 13.30 hrs and ran out of daylight just as I was finishing up the rear wheel on the n/side. As it was I'll need to hope for better weather, well dry at least, tomorrow to get the o/side hubs done.

I'm hoping that this thread will take off and carry on just as the copy on the Mercedes page has, so, what did you do to your UnMerc today?

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Couldn't agree more Roger, I've been trying to get them done since I bought the car just before Christmas, the weather has not been kind at all.

It seems that every long weekend I've had since, has been bedeviled by either snow or icey conditions, once or twice I even started to get set up and it was just too painful to hold the metal samson bar and sockets for any longer than a couple of minutes.

I remember doing the head gasket on my Dads Avenger standing in six inches of snow when I was in my late teens and tbh there's no way on Gods' earth I could manage to do that now, the pain in my hands and feet as they came back to life was incredible, I'm definitely too old for that sort of nonsense now-a-days. A nice heated garage is called for now. :cool: :D

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Looks much better. Those alloys are looking great, especially as they’re proud of the tyres and look almost guaranteed to attract kerbs

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Those alloys are looking great, especially as they’re proud of the tyres and look almost guaranteed to attract kerbs

It's an optical illusion Russell, the tyres are the type with rim protector inserts in them honest!

No alloys will be hurt in the driving of this car, unless someone is stupid enough to make a concentrated effort at kerbing them. :eek:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It's an optical illusion Russell, the tyres are the type with rim protector inserts in them honest!

No alloys will be hurt in the driving of this car, unless someone is stupid enough to make a concentrated effort at kerbing them. :eek:
Taxi to the kerb then ;)

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Todays effort on the UnMerc, the o/s calipers and hubs rubbed down and repainted.

I forgot to do the before pictures when one of my neighbours interupted me while I was setting up. Oh well, at least they all look decent again, thank God.

IMG_4529.JPG IMG_4530.JPG

Four and a half hours work, plus I got the tail pipe trims back to chrome again too. Guess what numpty forgot to get the tail pipe pictures before it got dark.

Guilty as charged officer. :oops: :D:D

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Cleaned my UnMerc this morning, the first time I’ve properly cleaned a car in I don’t know how long. I usually support the local Eastern European community and let them do the work!

I had some Autoglym products from when we bought the car so after washing it, I used their Wheel Cleaner and then Aqua Wax. I was impressed with that and no more effort than drying off the car normally. Just having a coffee now and then I’ll do the inside. The late Mrs L was very house proud but her car interior was often rather messy.

You never know, I might also do the GLC as It badly needs a clean. Trouble is, it’s twice the size of the Mini :(

EC9973BD-FFDF-4962-A5E2-9AE14BD256D7.jpeg F51EBF22-C1D5-4ACF-BDBE-69D9D4950C21.jpeg

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
In a blatant and totally shameless attempt at plagiarism, I decided that I would start a thread for those of us who no longer have our Mercedes cars and have moved onto pastures new, whether it be by choice or, perhaps been forced upon us by economic necessity as was the case with myself.

Today I got up early (for a Saturday off) at around 9.30a.m. with all good intentions of whipping off all the wheels on my unMerc and painting the hubs and calipers. As you can see from the pictures of the front hub I took they were rather badly needing done, sadly the weather over the last two months has not been helpful for anything except a very quick wash with hypothermia as the only possible side effect to follow for those brave enough or stupid enough, as Swmbo christened me, lol.
View attachment 65997

After :- View attachment 65998 View attachment 65999 View attachment 66000 View attachment 66001

I apologise for not showing the wheel off shots but due to the inclement weather here in not so sunny Ayrshire, I couldn't get started until 13.30 hrs and ran out of daylight just as I was finishing up the rear wheel on the n/side. As it was I'll need to hope for better weather, well dry at least, tomorrow to get the o/side hubs done.

I'm hoping that this thread will take off and carry on just as the copy on the Mercedes page has, so, what did you do to your UnMerc today?
Looks much better. Those alloys are looking great, especially as they’re proud of the tyres and look almost guaranteed to attract kerbs

They are a little exposed :rolleyes::shock: I hate those awful looking rim defenders but I think this could be an exception. :shock:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score

View attachment 65997

After :- View attachment 65998 View attachment 65999 View attachment 66000 View attachment 66001

The stone guards look interesting Jim I assume they are not steel?

A man after my own heart painting the calipers and hubs - may I also humbly suggest that you paint the outer edge of the vented discs which I do to finish it off.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The stone guards look interesting Jim I assume they are not steel?

A man after my own heart painting the calipers and hubs - may I also humbly suggest that you paint the outer edge of the vented discs which I do to finish it off.

Typical VWG stuff the stone guards, plastic.

I had intended to paint the the outer edges of the discs too, however I started out with approx, 200 ml of the silver paint and had to thin it to make it stretch. I'll need to buy some more, the next time they start to appear tatty I'll re-do the hubs and also do the edges at the same time.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are a little exposed :rolleyes::shock: I hate those awful looking rim defenders but I think this could be an exception. :shock:

You're not the only one who hates those things Andy, I wouldn't have them on my car.

It clearly doesn't show very well in the photo's, however the tyres have the recesses which allow the rims to sit back from the edge and protects the rims unless they are almost scrubbed along the kerb on purpose. That's the rim protectors I'm talking about, not those 'orrible things you're thinking of.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You're not the only one who hates those things Andy, I wouldn't have them on my car.

It clearly doesn't show very well in the photo's, however the tyres have the recesses which allow the rims to sit back from the edge and protects the rims unless they are almost scrubbed along the kerb on purpose. That's the rim protectors I'm talking about, not those 'orrible things you're thinking of.
B8FB3964-E877-4EAE-A5A4-B36D3FD90A72.jpeg
I can see it now

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Went out back to get some tools from the basement, took one look at M'Lady's Ovlov and thought... that ain't right!

She actually used it to pop in to her office yesterday afternoon (a whole 2 miles), so asked her if it drove ok.

"Errrm... think so... was making a funny noise!"

What drew my attention initially, was the very pronounced squat in the rear right corner. About 4in of squat.

Crawled underneath, and... broken spring!

Attachments

• 20210303_144857.jpg
    20210303_144857.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 22

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I cannot believe that as an owner of 2xMB’s I’m reading a non merc thread ....it’s not right :rolleyes:

'Tis a bit alien :rolleyes:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom