what is black death

gsc1ugs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
vito
What causes black death? a stripped bolt popin up the injector?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am not a diesel man at all, but I believe it is where the soot clogs up the inlet manifold and associated components like injectors,EGR etc

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Black death is when the copper seal or the seat of the injector corrodes and allows diesel to creep past on the compression stroke of the piston. If allowed to build up it turns into a hard carbon lump around the injectors when cold and a gooey mess like tar when warm.

You will know if you have it, fumes into the car and you will hear a chuffing sound from the engine.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The seal between the injector and the head fails and gases leak.
The fix is usually remove injector clean securing bolt threads, seat and refit with new seal and bolt.
I suspect the bolt is a little undersized maybe some one with more experience will comment.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
This is only my opinion, but I think its caused by weak attachment of the injector. The injector is designed to move along the heat expansion but It's done with only one M6 strech bolt, and at some point there is a situation when cylinder pressure escapes between the sealings, due to too high elasticity of the assembly. After that the game is over, gap between injector and bore is filled with black stuff and it jams injector, which make the bypass blow worse and copper seal is eaten too by exhaust gases.

I believe stripped threads are mostly due to previous and improper or sloppy repair attempts, but of course they can also strip if bolt is not flexible any more and cyl pressure press to the thrad at full force.

Last edited:

rodisi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI 1999 W210
I came across this thread because I was searching for the problem of exhaust smell in the cabin. I've been thinking that it was due to the cheap inside filter that I installed the last time I serviced it. I'm talking about the filter in the passenger side well. Could this be a cause or is it definitely the 'black death'?

If the latter, how can I tell if I have that problem. Would anybody be kind enough to post a diagram with what I should be working. Thanks.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
You only have to remove the engine covers.
A smell of combustion and a slight chuffing sound are also evident.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Remove plastic cover of the engine (few torx), If bad you'll see immediately black tar/oily stuff on the cyl head. In no obvious, check out the foot of the injectors, is there is black moist, positive diagnose. You may also hear puffing sound while engine on, and feel with you hand bypassing blow. And do a black death' search on the forum, lots of info how to repair etc.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom