What is blue efficiency?

Big Brin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'17 AMG GTC Roadster, '15 SLK200, '70 280SE (gone SL55F1, CLS250SB, C63, SLK280, 350SL, GTS)
I am looking at a 2008 C Class 320CDI sport (on internet), and I am scheduled to go and test drive it......but I started puzzling over something. I noticed it doesn't have 'blue efficiency' labels on the front wings. Was Blue efficiency an option? And what is it anyway?! In contrast, I have seen a C class 320CDI SE with the labels on the wings and I am wondering if I should conclude the sport has had new front wings?

Thanks for any pointers.

Rgds, Brin

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
A 2008 C Class is unlikely to be Blue Effiiciency which is basically a marketing term to cover models that were updated to include various fuel efficiency measures. One way to check is that the mirrors of BE cars had arrow shaped repeater lamps and slightly smaller mirrors which added to other measures like low rolling resistance tyres to reduce fuel consumption.

Check with the vendor what model it is; presumably a MB Dealership? Also ask if it had been in an accident as it would be in your favour if a negative response was shown later to be false.

Ernie

David Nock

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2009/320CDI
The technical experts will be along soon Brin and will be able to give you chapter and verse on it, but I'll just say I'm dreading the day when I have only got Blu Efficiency Mercs as a buying option.

It's the recent developments for Mercs to make them hit lower road fund levels and to make them use less fuel. You'll find all the newer cars are now being fitted with it.

As I see it though, in general, B/Eff represents all this 'terrific' technology to eke the last drop of fuel out of you tank fill, whilst stuffing you with extra worries and repairs later on.....not just the present crop of DPF issues and Dual Mass Flywheels (although this is not normally a Merc worry with auto), but also starters that have wizzed themselves to death stop starting during journeys and smaller engines that have pulled a big body shell around all the time.
Then there's lean burn and all the attendant worries of that coming at us a few years down the line.

Am I wrong to be so pessimistic guys? Tell me please that I am.
Besides I don't think the Merc designers really like it - or they wouldn't have stuck that awfull blue badging on the side.

wilsodg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E/2011/350CDI D6S
I had the dealer remove the blue badges - a common request apparently. To me it looked cheap and plastic ( which they are).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Its something that earns a lot of money for MB, thinking ahead one could say

OP
Big Brin

Big Brin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'17 AMG GTC Roadster, '15 SLK200, '70 280SE (gone SL55F1, CLS250SB, C63, SLK280, 350SL, GTS)
Thanks guys, as ever very useful and informative....I will ask about any accident damage and of course do an HPI if a deal is struck.

Rgds, Brin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
In all seriousness It was just a name for the new injection system that atomized the fuel to new limits as it was back when it came out. All car makers call it something else, it is no more than a name. They had terrible trouble with the injectors that were failing all over the world, in the end MB bought them out in order to invest some more research and investment, some 4 months late the problems were solved

DIYMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270cdi/53 plate/2.7l 5cyl.
I thought I had read on here about a group action by taxi drivers because these 'blue' cars had terrible fuel consumption compared with their predecessors, on short journeys. Has this now been sorted?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom