What is happening to common sense with mot tests in uk ? And easy traffic police job

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi everyone, the mot test was introduced many years ago in the uk when steering and brake failures on old sheds were making the headlines. today i think the test has lost it's way. how can you rationalise a car which has covered 1,000 miles in the year with a car which has travelled 50,000 miles? it's a nonsense. modern cars in the main have out grown the need for the test. if a motorist is involved in an accident then carry out the test. the uk is the best example in the eec for the "tail wagging the dog". why should 98% of responsible drivers have to pay £45 / yr. for a test when vehicle failures are used by the 3% of motorists who do not go near the mot test and have no insurance. then there is the test itself, the uk is an anual test, rest of eec is every two years ? ( the eec made us lose our red diesel derogation for boats but we cannot have the two year mot ) ? in the past few months in our mot test we now have a orange indicator flasher test,if the bulbs have faded you fail the test, brake fluid moisture test, tow ball latteral monement test, and yesterday they added the number plate test, the plate has to quote the BS number, the broker id, and the reflective level. all this makes me wonder if the powers that be want us to have cars which are more than three years old? again the 3% who alter their plates for crime, speeding, congestion charge avoidance, are laughing at all this. the law abiding tax paying responsible motorists are having the p---s taken out of them. just watch your tv about traffic cops, what a good secure job they enjoy, top model vehicles,helicopters, all the electronic wizardry, 90% of them very overweight, laughing and joking at the things they have to deal with. the good news is these jobs in the near future are destined to come into local authorities and run by the traffic control civilian workforce, ( subject to new labour staying in power) let's face it if you can drive fast with impunity and take notes and sweep glass off the motorway like most of us can, then you do not need to be earning £30,000 / yr. the real police dealing with crime have a much more demanding dangerous job which we should all value and respect. herbiemercman.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Reaction score
?

May I be the first to tell you....................... you talk C.R.A.P !

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Hi Herbiemercman, please do not take offence, but I find it increasingly difficult to read your posts when all the sentences run into each other.
I find I can only take them in when spaced out like this.............:wink:.

Hi everyone, the mot test was introduced many years ago in the uk when steering and brake failures on old sheds were making the headlines.
Today i think the test has lost it's way. how can you rationalise a car which has covered 1,000 miles in the year with a car which has travelled 50,000 miles? It's a nonsense.

Modern cars in the main have out grown the need for the test. If a motorist is involved in an accident then carry out the test. The uk is the best example in the eec for the "tail wagging the dog".

Why should 98% of responsible drivers have to pay £45 / yr. for a test when vehicle failures are used by the 3% of motorists who do not go near the mot test and have no insurance. Then there is the test itself, the uk is an annual test, rest of eec is every two years ? ( the eec made us lose our red diesel derogation for boats but we cannot have the two year mot ) ?

In the past few months in our mot test we now have a orange indicator flasher test,if the bulbs have faded you fail the test, brake fluid moisture test, tow ball latteral monement test, and yesterday they added the number plate test, the plate has to quote the BS number, the broker id, and the reflective level. All this makes me wonder if the powers that be want us to have cars which are more than three years old? Again the 3% who alter their plates for crime, speeding, congestion charge avoidance, are laughing at all this. the law abiding tax paying responsible motorists are having the p---s taken out of them. Just watch your tv about traffic cops, what a good secure job they enjoy, top model vehicles,helicopters, all the electronic wizardry, 90% of them very overweight, laughing and joking at the things they have to deal with.

The good news is these jobs in the near future are destined to come into local authorities and run by the traffic control civilian workforce, ( subject to new labour staying in power) let's face it if you can drive fast with impunity and take notes and sweep glass off the motorway like most of us can, then you do not need to be earning £30,000 / yr. the real police dealing with crime have a much more demanding dangerous job which we should all value and respect.

herbiemercman.

Pringles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 E36 AMG saloon
just watch your tv about traffic cops, what a good secure job they enjoy, top model vehicles,helicopters, all the electronic wizardry, 90% of them very overweight, laughing and joking at the things they have to deal with. the good news is these jobs in the near future are destined to come into local authorities and run by the traffic control civilian workforce, ( subject to new labour staying in power) let's face it if you can drive fast with impunity and take notes and sweep glass off the motorway like most of us can, then you do not need to be earning £30,000 / yr. the real police dealing with crime have a much more demanding dangerous job which we should all value and respect. herbiemercman.

Herbie, stop watching those old re-runs of Police Camera Action !
The job might pay £30k but bear in mind that whilst sweeping up the glass and s**t quite often the traffic cop is thinking how he is going to bang on a front door at 3am and tell a parent that their son/daughter is not coming home after they over cooked the sharp bend in their Vauxhal Nova with under inflated bald tyres minus an MOT. The "real police" tend not to get this task quite as frequently.

The "real police officer" working in the sticks miles from anywhere is also occasionally grateful that a traffic police officer is also patrolling the same area and the driver in his top model car can cover distances like Jenson Button when his "real police" colleague is getting his head kicked in behind a pub at turning out time.

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi gonzo, are you a traffic cop ? if you are your quote is to be expected, if not can you be more specific, i think the mot test is CRAP and i have explained why. best wishes. herbiemercman.

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi rf065, i have posted over 250 posts and no one has said anything about the layout,i have had many thankyou's from people i have helped with information etc. i just tried to save space and did not know paragraphing would make reading easier. i will do this in future, as i can see it is better. thanks for reading anyway. herbiemercman.

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi pringles, good point you raise, it's the other side of the coin. herbiemercman.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
I for one welcome the yearly MOT inspection as i would rather like to think my car is as safe as it can possibly be, as those that are nearest and dearest to me might be in the car, you say carry out the test after the accident, do not understand your logic here at all, prevention is "always" better than cure. Example, if the day before you took your car to the MOT you ran someone over and they died, your car is seized and regardless of whether the car has a current MOT, it is inspected, and in your case (after reading your post regarding steering rack ends) they would of said your car had faulty steering, and regardless of this contributing to the accident you would of been to blame for having a defective car on the road. I know there are many many more cars on the road with worse faults, you strike me as the person who maintains their care very well but if your mechanics (who service it) or indeed yourself can miss those steering joints, i think the yearly test is a good thing and the EU should fall inline with us.
The only thing I would want changed is to see dedicated test centres (possibly run by the ministry of transport) where all they do is MOT testing then you would be guarenteed to get an impartial test performed.
Orange indicator flash test you talk about, has just not been instituted it is because and indicator should flash "orange" light not white as your's must of been, and be honest i but you have never replaced those bulbs before. Indicators have always, as far as i,m aware had to be "orange" this is nothing new.
Number plate check I have known of the implication of this check for at least 4 years, and after all, this check is an attempt to combat car crime, and anything that will help hinder or catch todays car criminal scum and can only be seen as an improvement.
Brake fluid moisture check, I have never heard of this being part of an MOT check before, if it is correct then i,m glad, as I have previously stated I want my car to have the best possible brakes, as I,m sure you will agree with me.
Regarding the Police they are only doing there job, and i bet if you asked everyone one of them, I bet they would all wish it was only broken glass they were sweeping up, and don,t forget broken glass has,nt got Mothers, Fathers, sons daughters etc, to be informed that a loved one has died in a car accident either. £30,000 a year, I say "is that all" as I could,nt do the job.

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
hi rf065, i have posted over 250 posts and no one has said anything about the layout,i have had many thankyou's from people i have helped with information etc. i just tried to save space and did not know paragraphing would make reading easier. i will do this in future, as i can see it is better. thanks for reading anyway. herbiemercman.

your post failed but passed the retest :cool:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Herbie is a good guy to have on any forum

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi, bigasotonuk, you make some good points, as i said to somone else it is the other side of the coin you are displaying.
the trained council employees can ask the police to handle the fatalities and human relations, my daughter used to do this in the cid.
the motorways now have lots of the black and green vehicle traffic control sevices, i think they could do 90% of the traffic cops job. i am not suggesting the job is not difficult and nasty at times, like miners, trawlermen, debt collectors, etc.
it is also nice to have the job security, no redundancies, no losing your home. herbiemercman.

Last edited:

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK's 2, CLK320 Cabriolet.
Many years ago when I was "between redundancies" I took up private hire, and, to avoid spending loads of cash on a new vehicle I decided to use the family car, a Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 CD.

To obtain a local authority licence your car must pass an intensive "MOT" which is carried out by the authority. This test is extremely intensive and lasts about an hour (they even check your door hinges,) anyway, it failed on the brake discs as they were "rusty".

I duly purchased a complete set of discs, and pads, and fitted. When I took it back for a re-test (yes they do go over everything again,) it passed. I was then given my licence and "plate" along with the brake efficiency test paperwork.

On comparing my previous "failed" braking efficiency with my new "passed" efficiency, the old "rusty" discs and pads -----------were much better!

So, looks don't mean anything as long as the efficiency is still there! (Still had to pay two full test fees though-------hmmm:rolleyes:

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I have to say that Herbie is one of the people on this forum that I definately feel an affinity with..
Like me he sees through the beaurocracy and Cr*p that we are all spun by the powers that be..
As my gran used to say, "There are none so blind as those who dont want to see"

P

PanzerMcGrory

Hi Herbiemercman, please do not take offence, but I find it increasingly difficult to read your posts when all the sentences run into each other.
I find I can only take them in when spaced out like this.............:wink:.

Hi everyone, the mot test was introduced many years ago in the uk when steering and brake failures on old sheds were making the headlines.
Today i think the test has lost it's way. how can you rationalise a car which has covered 1,000 miles in the year with a car which has travelled 50,000 miles? It's a nonsense.

Modern cars in the main have out grown the need for the test. If a motorist is involved in an accident then carry out the test. The uk is the best example in the eec for the "tail wagging the dog".

Why should 98% of responsible drivers have to pay £45 / yr. for a test when vehicle failures are used by the 3% of motorists who do not go near the mot test and have no insurance. Then there is the test itself, the uk is an annual test, rest of eec is every two years ? ( the eec made us lose our red diesel derogation for boats but we cannot have the two year mot ) ?

In the past few months in our mot test we now have a orange indicator flasher test,if the bulbs have faded you fail the test, brake fluid moisture test, tow ball latteral monement test, and yesterday they added the number plate test, the plate has to quote the BS number, the broker id, and the reflective level. All this makes me wonder if the powers that be want us to have cars which are more than three years old? Again the 3% who alter their plates for crime, speeding, congestion charge avoidance, are laughing at all this. the law abiding tax paying responsible motorists are having the p---s taken out of them. Just watch your tv about traffic cops, what a good secure job they enjoy, top model vehicles,helicopters, all the electronic wizardry, 90% of them very overweight, laughing and joking at the things they have to deal with.

The good news is these jobs in the near future are destined to come into local authorities and run by the traffic control civilian workforce, ( subject to new labour staying in power) let's face it if you can drive fast with impunity and take notes and sweep glass off the motorway like most of us can, then you do not need to be earning £30,000 / yr. the real police dealing with crime have a much more demanding dangerous job which we should all value and respect.

herbiemercman.

Im the same, im a Scottish person with a Scottish persons expected short lifespan so unfortunately i gave up after two lines of this post as lifes too short and i had to get another Stella from the fridge which is a pity because it might have been a great post.

Rinehart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 R129, 300SL Almandine Red, 102k
scottish life span

Im the same, im a Scottish person with a Scottish persons expected short lifespan so unfortunately i gave up after two lines of this post as lifes too short and i had to get another Stella from the fridge which is a pity because it might have been a great post.

Who says that you have a "shorter" life span???? What's this all about??:(:confused:

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
Interesting thread.

I suspect that Herbie is, like me, of a certain age.

An age which dislikes the direction of travel of modern society; harkens back to a golden age when MB door handles were not made of plastic; and when motoring, shopping (never on a Wednesday or Saturday afternoon, and most certainly not on a Sunday) and a walk in the park were pleasant pastimes.

In short we are baby boomers - the grumpy generation.

And like me, if Herbie does his ranting here, at least he is leaving those genteel members on the hamster fanciers forum at peace.

For that we should be eternally grateful.

Tony - with properly punctuated paragraphs.

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK's 2, CLK320 Cabriolet.
Who says that you have a "shorter" life span???? What's this all about??:(:confused:
This is a statistical fact, scots have a shorter life span because of their life style-----i.e. smoke and drink too much. Panzer was injecting a little bit of scot's humour, especially as he was going for a "Stella"

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi panzer, i am half scottish ( milangavie ) and half welsh. ( abergele ). it's not the scottish breed pursay that is conducive to a shorter life span, it's drink, especially stella. a friend of mine asked his doctor if he cut right down on his drinking would he live longer, the doctor who loved a drink himself ( scottish doctor of cource ), said "no you will not live longer, but it will feel like it". just a tip on drink, i am a lager fanatic having done the CAMERA bit, try the heiniken 5 lit. barrels, it's brewed in belgium and it's the export quality, 5.2%, not that the % is what i look for, it's the smootheness and flavour. asda have it £14 a barrel. let me know if you enjoy it? herbiemercman.

P

PanzerMcGrory

hi panzer, i am half scottish ( milangavie ) and half welsh. ( abergele ). it's not the scottish breed pursay that is conducive to a shorter life span, it's drink, especially stella. a friend of mine asked his doctor if he cut right down on his drinking would he live longer, the doctor who loved a drink himself ( scottish doctor of cource ), said "no you will not live longer, but it will feel like it". just a tip on drink, i am a lager fanatic having done the CAMERA bit, try the heiniken 5 lit. barrels, it's brewed in belgium and it's the export quality, 5.2%, not that the % is what i look for, it's the smootheness and flavour. asda have it £14 a barrel. let me know if you enjoy it? herbiemercman.

Wash your mouth out, im hoping for the pickling affect so that i might live to the ripe old age of maybe 62.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom