What is the toolbox that mechanics use to open up the engine called?

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
Because I want to buy one from Halfords and start trying to do bits and pieces on my car but I cant unlock the screws to get into the engine!
Is there a particular name or is it just called a toolbox?

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Are you sure this is a good idea?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is nothing on the 140 that needs to be opened, you have an engine cover and fuse boxes, and thats it.

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
A sledgehammer.
:lol:

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Because I want to buy one from Halfords and start trying to do bits and pieces on my car but I cant unlock the screws to get into the engine!

You want a toolbox?

look on ebay for roll cab. they was a seller with a a good one including toolbax for £97 or a smaller on for 65
plus
Torx female sockets
torque wrench
trolley jack
axle stands
measuring jug
oil filter tool
amongst others...

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Are you sure this is a good idea?

HAha! Don't worry I am not doing anything too technical. I just want to tighten the cable wire on my bush as the heating has stopped working again and die to the cold weather I cannot get the condensation off of my windscreen without the heating!

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
There is nothing on the 140 that needs to be opened, you have an engine cover and fuse boxes, and thats it.

Will the heating system (bush) be accessible if I remove the engine cover?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The heater is all under the dash passenger side, thats if you are looking for the blower

deejaybee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now - W210 E320cdi
Not really sure if this is a wind-up or a genuine enquiry:)

But giving the benefit of the doubt, it is possible to learn to do basic maintenance and repairs on most cars, including yours, if you area a reasonably practical type of person? I would just go along to one of the larger Halfords or Machine Mart shops in your area and ask for advice about a starter tool kit for work on cars - probably £75-100 for a basic kit of reasonable quality, but don't get tempted by cheap sets with masses of stuff as most of it will probably be of very poor quality and is more likely to put you off or make things harder!

On the other hand if you know nothing about car mechanics it might be worth reading up a bit before you do anything just to see if you really want to get into it - plenty on the 'net or buy/borrow something by Haynes.

Good luck!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think this is about the loose bush . . .

They used to say that a bird in the hand was worth more than one in a bush, I used to get it both ways;)

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Not really sure if this is a wind-up or a genuine enquiry:)

But giving the benefit of the doubt, it is possible to learn to do basic maintenance and repairs on most cars, including yours, if you area a reasonably practical type of person? I would just go along to one of the larger Halfords or Machine Mart shops in your area and ask for advice about a starter tool kit for work on cars - probably £75-100 for a basic kit of reasonable quality, but don't get tempted by cheap sets with masses of stuff as most of it will probably be of very poor quality and is more likely to put you off or make things harder!

On the other hand if you know nothing about car mechanics it might be worth reading up a bit before you do anything just to see if you really want to get into it - plenty on the 'net or buy/borrow something by Haynes.

Good luck!

Cheap tools ok, make sure they are Chrome Vanadium steel (spanners, sockets etc) not carbon steel

My dad has some cheap stuff and so do i (he is a retired aerospace quality engineer and knows his stuff) and it has lasted him years. I personally wouldnt waste money on snap on MAC. Ebay is a good place to start, and way better than Halfrauds as they call it

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
HAha! I just want to tighten the cable wire on my bush !

Good luck with that, Calumcco :D

I think for starters you will need a set of male and female torx bits. These seem to fit most fasteners on my Merc.

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
NOW I get it!
I think.

Is this loose bush missing the letter 'r'?

Taken me ages to work that out it has.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
NOW I get it!
I think.

Is this loose bush missing the letter 'r'?

Taken me ages to work that out it has.

Nope, it a mounting for the heater fan, a bush:D

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance

Are you going to be offering your services ;)

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
I'd recommend a good padlock for the toolbox too, preferably without a key :lol:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom