What little things on your Merc make you smile?

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I like the noise it makes when you accelerate, that always makes me smile, plus the shove in the back at any speed. Plus the way it builds speed not like a car, but like a 747 on a runway. Constant and seamless. Also like the fact it feels like it is made of granite. And the trick roof. That's enough to forgive it any little electrical foibles.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
I suppose thats one of the differences between paying local independant and extortionate main dealer prices, because on the 2 occasions I have required a courtesy car I was given C300's in estate and cabriolet both only months old.
Did I need that standard of car - No
Were they nice - Yes. :)
I have used John Haynes in Goring nr Worthing and they are an excellent independant Mercedes garage, they gave me a class for a courtesy car which was nice . Il never use a main dealer as far too expensive and always looking to find extra work to charge you

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Il never use a main dealer as far too expensive and always looking to find extra work to charge you
I completely agree, and if my car was a bit older and out of warranty I wouldn't either.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Oh ive had RS boy boy trying to prove something but alas the poor lad is outgunned when he is outclassed

Mind you that was the first time that someone has had a go in over 4 years and 34,000mls of SL55 motoring, I was starting to think it was invisible :eek:
When I am out in my old Triumph 2.5 I have a bit of fun with the 106's and Saxo's :shock:

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Those things can be tuned up to 900 bhp o_O
Oh im sure they can get them tuned up to a high BHP but how long would the engine last under all that power? They were not designed for stupied amount of power in a four pot engine,and as Dry run said its mainly about torque

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Oh im sure they can get them tuned up to a high BHP but how long would the engine last under all that power? They were not designed for stupied amount of power in a four pot engine,and as Dry run said its mainly about torque
Oh and excuse my spelling mistake too ha! If someone said to me " here you go Paul have a highly tuned Focus " id rather keep my own car thankyou, and ive owned Ford's in the past and worked at a Ford dealer but for me my Merc is the best car i have ever owned, full stop.

john campbell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E250 sport deisel
I remember once going into a carpark in mine after owning it 6 months and a steering wheel popped up on the screen ! Turned out my car has parking assist and a few other things that I didn't know about.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I remember once going into a carpark in mine after owning it 6 months and a steering wheel popped up on the screen ! Turned out my car has parking assist and a few other things that I didn't know about.
Mine has that but I have no intentions of ever using it...not even out of curiosity. :p
The feature is standard throughout the range...which makes me wonder exactly how Mercedes see their customers. :confused:

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Mine has that but I have no intentions of ever using it...not even out of curiosity. :p
The feature is standard throughout the range...which makes me wonder exactly how Mercedes see their customers. :confused:
My thought is that if you need parking assist then you should not be behind the wheel in the first place, too much reliance on tech and not driving skill or ability

john campbell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E250 sport deisel
I have only ever seen it that once and have no idea how or why it came on......... If you can't park using your own eyes then you shouldn't be driving. I like the hold function and use that often sitting at the lights.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I like the hold function and use that often sitting at the lights.
Admittedly this is a convenient feature, but even though I have had it on a few cars I have never used it. The reason being the brake lights are constantly illuminated for the duration of the stop, which if at night (even worse in the rain) can be irritating to the driver immediately behind.
Whenever I am stopped at traffic lights for more than a few seconds I press the end of the stalk to put the gearbox in park. The column mounted gear selector on Mercedes is great. :)

P.S. Just to pre empt somebody saying if my car was to get rammed from the back while in park it will damage the gearbox....yes I am aware of this. :geek:

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
I have only ever seen it that once and have no idea how or why it came on......... If you can't park using your own eyes then you shouldn't be driving. I like the hold function and use that often sitting at the lights.

I agree with that, I've never used that function either. I was advised about it by an MB salesman years ago, he warned me that Park Assist was less concerned about damaging alloy rims than most owners are. One parking aid I'd like to see though is an option to lower both mirrors when reversing, rather than just the nearside one, mainly because in non-Covid times I do much of my annual mileage in mainland Europe, but I'd find the feature useful here in the UK as well, I wonder if an MB dealer could change it to work on both sides?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

My Daughter has it on her A Class, she daren't use it :rolleyes: :)

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My Daughter has it on her A Class, she daren't use it :rolleyes: :)
I would actually be much more nervous using this feature than simply doing it myself. :D

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Admittedly this is a convenient feature, but even though I have had it on a few cars I have never used it. The reason being the brake lights are constantly illuminated for the duration of the stop, which if at night (even worse in the rain) can be irritating to the driver immediately behind.
Whenever I am stopped at traffic lights for more than a few seconds I press the end of the stalk to put the gearbox in park. The column mounted gear selector on Mercedes is great. :)

P.S. Just to pre empt somebody saying if my car was to get rammed from the back while in park it will damage the gearbox....yes I am aware of this. :geek:
I put mine in Neutral if the ground is flat ;)

Top Bottom