What little things on your Merc make you smile?

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I don't know if I've suddenly become ultra aware of things but I seem to be noticing more and more things that are not really advertised, but make life so comfortable.

like; the way the whole car never seems to have hot or cold spots inside, it always just right.
Or how the starter keeps spinning until the engine starts without having to hold the button in (or keep twisting the key)
Or how the brake discs get wiped when you use the screen washer
Or how, when using Stop/Start, the engine fires immediately (how do they do that?)
Or the sunroof shuts if it starts to rain.
Or how the Airmatic seems to stiffen up if you suddenly decide to Chuck the car round a few bends.

I love my Mercedes!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What does this mean ????
Depending upon the braking system (started with SBC) when the car knows it’s a bit moist out it will just touch the brake pads to the discs to dry them so if you need hard braking you can get it straight away.

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
Depending upon the braking system (started with SBC) when the car knows it’s a bit moist out it will just touch the brake pads to the discs yo dry them so if you need hard braking you can get it straight away.
Learn something new everyday ! Is that a general Mercedes thing or model specific?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Learn something new everyday ! Is that a general Mercedes thing or model specific?
Came in with E and S, “SBC” and then “OBC”. Don’t know how many models have it, my SLK doesn’t

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I could suggest a thing thatdies not make me smile .... & that's the fact it uses infrared to open or shut windows (& roof) so you need to be stood next to the car. But you can unlock the car from that far away its locked again before get to it.

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I could suggest a thing thatdies not make me smile .... & that's the fact it uses infrared to open or shut windows (& roof) so you need to be stood next to the car. But you can unlock the car from that far away its locked again before get to it.
That's another thing I like! Keyless Go ;)

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I have to smile every time;

I start the car from cold with a door or window open listening for the rattle of a worn guide or stretched simplex timing chain .
Or when the engine cuts out at the first set of lights to remind me I forgot to turn the ECO SS feature off again!
Or every time I read live data and see that my DPF fill level is somewhere below 100% full, and the EGR feature is still working. :rolleyes:
Or when the coolant temperature has reached normal operating levels so it's safe for me to go home again and turn it off!
Or when I see display stacks of ADBLU for sale because I don't need any with my Euro 5 Bluefficiency model.

Otherwise I'd cry. :(

My apologies for raining on your parade @s5tuart I did look for an 'Irony' smiley but couldn't find one! :)

One thing's for sure on a more serious note is, this is the last Diesel engined vehicle I'll ever own!

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
This thread caused me to look at my spec sheet.Does anyone know what Vehicle Dynamics Package is?

Edit:Just Googled it & I think it's the Sport mode....ie the thing that made my replacement shockers on the front £1800:rolleyes:

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Depending upon the braking system (started with SBC) when the car knows it’s a bit moist out it will just touch the brake pads to the discs to dry them so if you need hard braking you can get it straight away.
This reminds me of a disagreement I had on pistonheads with pretty much everybody concerned.
A video was posted of cars driving through a ford where the water level was at least half way up the wheels, so I comented that none of the vehicles appeared to be drying out their brakes before accelerating away after coming out the other side. I went on to say that the discs would be waterlogged and if an emergency stop was quickly required the driver coud find themselves in trouble.
The first comment I received was asking me how old my car is and does it have drum brakes on the front because disc brakes are unaffected by water. :p
I stated that it has always been considered best practice to dry out your brakes immediately after driving through deep standing water, and I do so either by a few rapid test brakes if safe to do so or by briefly and gently touching the brake with my left foot with right foot still on the gas.
Quite a few people replied and all said I was wrong and that they had never heard of this, but there was one exception who agreed with me completely.
By unfortunate coincidence the person who agreed with me was the same person I recently had an unrelated disagreement with and I may have been a little bit rude to at the time. :oops: I immediately thanked them for their support and apologised for earlier. :)

Back on topic...
I agree with Steve, the Bruce Springsteen headlamps never fail to amuse me. :D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
The way the wiper mechanism works to deliver maximum wiping coverage

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
When I check the ground where they have been parked and there's no sign of any drips :cool:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom