What makes an S class better than an E class?

OP
as400

as400

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350cdi
Lets just say, that if you have to ask, you've never driven an S.

Thanks! Excellent response and an accurate conclusion!...I'll have to now go bother some traders and afix my test pilot headgear.

LTD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDi Coupe Sport
I have a W220 S500L (The one st4 drove).

The big problem about the S Class is not how much an airmatic strut costs to replace or how frugal they aren't but it is this :

What do you buy to replace it ?

Most replacement cars concede to the sybaritic approach the S Class offers. It was, and still is, the very best saloon car Mercedes make.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
What do you buy to replace it ?

If you like, it you do not bother replacing it.

When its dead, you replace it with another one, if the car was a big success with you. You might go for another 220, or maybe a 221 next time. They are very nice cars.

I did the same with the 211, I replaced it with another, albiet with a larger engine as I liked the 1st one so much.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I owned an S for a couple of years and did about 24k miles in it. I have owned several E's.
The S has bigger seats with more adjustment -especially to the squab which you can elongate if you have very long legs. It offers more legroom front and rear than an E class -most won't need this but for those who do it is a bonus. Neither the Lexus nor the 7 series come near it for legroom.

It has better spec standard than an E class e.g. COMAND and leather are standard. Memory seats are extra but well worth having.

The engines, gearbox and much else besides are the same as in the larger engined E classes. It is a bit quieter but only a tad according to decibel readings in reviews. The quality is not IMO really much different from an E class -so much is common to both.

The biggest difference apart from extra space is in the ride. The S class offers a magic carpet ride on air suspension and has no equal as most reviews testify. The longer wheelbase, and greater weight both help to absorb shocks and bumps and potholes and air supension does the rest. Luckily they don't offer Avantgarde and Sports versions with lowered supension and a harder more jiggly ride. They do offer air suspension with three settings 'comfort', 'sport 1' and 'Sport 2' -but most reviewers found -as I did- that the comfort setting was best all round.

The S has a quite wonderful feel to drive . It is big but it drives like a much smaller car. You feel completely in control. It wafts round corners and the steering feel is to my taste the nearest to perfection of any car I have driven. Doing 0-62 in about 7 seconds in a big, heavy car, feels very special and getting 35-40 mpg from the diesel engine feels almost like cheating.

Great car but so is the E class. And you can have air suspension on an E class. That I would love with a 5 or 7 year guarantee to go with it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Interesting that the E can be had with ABC that gives the same if not better ride qualities, cannot recall one on here with it

jprwno15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S 320 CDi
I had a 2005 E320 CDi for 7 years and it was very comfortable and did 38mpg for the 236000 miles i did in it. It rolled a lot in the corners even with the sports setting on the air suspension but overall it was a great car.

I've just bought a W220 320 Cdi and to my amazement its more economical, averaging just under 40mpg on motorway, the ride is fantastic and its much more of a drivers car through the corners. It was voted the best car in the world and i can see why.

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
When i purchased my S Class from the local Dealership, it was sold to me as an S Class "Limousine", the sales person told me the "Limousine" model had a very high specification as standard compared to the S Class "Saloon" model...Is the Limousine longer, or better than the Saloon? I have to say i love my S500, I would definitely get another one...A superb car to own and drive.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The L version is longer and the rear better equipped.

I love my CL420 in the 140 chassis, near silent and very nice to drive

Mounis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W211 Avant
In comparison terms, the E is all the car you'll ever need. The S is more than all the car you'll ever need...........
Lets just say, that if you have to ask, you've never driven an S.
I think this quote says it all...

You really can't compare the two - I don't think it's even a fair comparison to say that it's just a suspension thing...Air suspension on an E will never be as comfy on the S...The weight, the chassis just reacts differently...The Longer wheelbase and extra legroom, massage seats, rear reclining seats, rear heated seats, front seat controls in the back, the carpets, the lack of noise....(he drools)...The list can be pretty long in terms what extras you could have on the S vs those on an E

The E is superb but in my heart I covet the S :-(

Wheel

Reaction score
Website
oldmusicvideos.blogspot.com
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B200 Sport
One of my neighbours recently swapped their BMW 7 series for a S Class. One thing that took me back was how huge it was. Yet on the streets they just blend in to the background and make no noise at all. In other words, a Mercedes-Benz!

I've never (knowingly) been a passenger in either an E Class or an S Class in my life, let alone driven one.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
well, we have had three E's

a 124, and 2x 210s. And still have one of those, and i swapped the other for the w220.

the 210 is the bees knees. It's like a golf gti with 7 seats. It's a knockout. The 210 is very very comfy, no complaints. It hauls bottom like nothing else, and can carry what we need for 2 weeks hols abroad without even getting the roof box out, and with room to spare for those whimsical holiday purchases.

the s-class is on another planet. Whatever fun the e is todrive, the s class is more. Whatever comfort the e has, the s has more. I can do 300 miles in one hit and get out as fresh as a daisy, probably even fresher that when i got in. it is no effort to drive at all. I'm sure that it could get there on its own if i let it.

i love to put it on sport 2 and hit a winding road, tipping the box like mad. It is sublime the way it goes from limo to sports car and back again at the touch of a button. It even handles snow really well.

The only things i have to criticise the s for are the window and seat switchgear. i can't easily switch the passenger seat heater on , as i have to stretch across the passenger seat to reach it. Conversely, the passenger can't work the electric windows save their own. on the e all this gubbins is on the dash in front of both pasenger and driver, which is much more sensible.

That's it. Sum total of complaints.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
The only things i have to criticise the s for are the window and seat switchgear. i can't easily switch the passenger seat heater on , as i have to stretch across the passenger seat to reach it. Conversely, the passenger can't work the electric windows save their own. on the e all this gubbins is on the dash in front of both pasenger and driver, which is much more sensible.

That's it. Sum total of complaints.

You need a W140 then as all these, except passenger seat position, are in the centre console.:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes 140's are very nice cars and the most expensive ever in terms of build

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom