What Model?

pch

Reaction score
I fancy a new car and this time it should be MB, but what model to buy?
It will probably be an estate again, but this time big & comfortable, so probably an E class.

I have looked at a couple of cheapies around the 10 grand mark;

An E270 Classic manual - quite nice, but not special enough, I think the definitive Mercedes is a 6 cylinder E class with auto.
An E320 Avantgarde auto - very nice, but did not like the dealer or the test drive.
A C220 Elegance auto - pretty & immaculate, very low mileage, but a little cramped.

So, I think I will spend a little more and go for a E280 or E320 CDI estate, with the 7G auto, perhaps a 2006, if I can find the right one at the right time & price.

What is the best engine, reading the reviews I get conflicting answers, for every review which says go for the 320 for better performance & little difference in fuel consumption, there will be another which says go for the 280 for significantly better fuel consumption with little noticeable performance difference, and a smoother engine.

And yes I have worked out that they are basically the same 3 litre engine.

Also is the Avantgarde better than a well specced Elegance, I am advised the Elegance is a more comfortable ride, but I still want most of the toys, though I am not overly fussed about leather as cloth is often more comfortable.

TIA........Paul

w211-e-class

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270
avantgarde is the best . dont go for classics or elegance, they are too cheap

source: car dealer 5 years

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Elegance v Avantgarde, basically trim differences and the AV has a much firmer ride. Options are pretty much the same, depends on what the car was specc'd with originally.

HJHPH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI Avantgarde Estate.
I fancy a new car and this time it should be MB, but what model to buy?
It will probably be an estate again, but this time big & comfortable, so probably an E class.

I have looked at a couple of cheapies around the 10 grand mark;

An E270 Classic manual - quite nice, but not special enough, I think the definitive Mercedes is a 6 cylinder E class with auto.
An E320 Avantgarde auto - very nice, but did not like the dealer or the test drive.
A C220 Elegance auto - pretty & immaculate, very low mileage, but a little cramped.

So, I think I will spend a little more and go for a E280 or E320 CDI estate, with the 7G auto, perhaps a 2006, if I can find the right one at the right time & price.

What is the best engine, reading the reviews I get conflicting answers, for every review which says go for the 320 for better performance & little difference in fuel consumption, there will be another which says go for the 280 for significantly better fuel consumption with little noticeable performance difference, and a smoother engine.

And yes I have worked out that they are basically the same 3 litre engine.

Also is the Avantgarde better than a well specced Elegance, I am advised the Elegance is a more comfortable ride, but I still want most of the toys, though I am not overly fussed about leather as cloth is often more comfortable.

TIA........Paul
I think the general concensus is that there is not much difference between 280 and 320 cdi regarding fuel consumption.
I would not rule out the Facelifted E220 CDI, it has 170 bhp, good fuel consumption, I can get 38-40mpg running around and around 46 on a run. Surprisingly good performance, less tax and cheaper to service.
Although I have had a E280 Sport for the last 10 days and it is superb with a lovely engine note. However only around 34mpg.
Paul

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
I've only had Avantgarde trim (C220CDi estate, CLK320 Cabrio and current E320CDi saloon) and if that is the "much firmer ride" quoted I'd definately avoid the "softer" Elegance trim as its fine but still a bit 'rolly' when punted briskly...

I also just cannot stand 'mahogony' wood in cars much preferring Aluminium or teh gray Birds-eye Maple found in the Avantgarde trim spec.

Can't comment on the newer 280/320 engine but a saleman told me not a lot to choose between them so buy the one you can afford, seems to match other comments about the economy Vs. performance conundrum?

As to MPG's my C220CDi (the 140bhp version) used to do about 40mpg. I am currently getting the same (and feel I am 'trying' less to get it) out of my E320CDi and the 320 diesel has so much creamy torque when needed, I'd definately recommend that version myself.

As ever, getting to drive a few is always best way to decide but not always practical.

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
Missed off this bit....

You made the comment in the original post

"An E320 Avantgarde auto - very nice, but did not like the dealer or the test drive."

You are buying second hand so you buy the "best deal" not just because you like the dealer? Don't miss out on a good car just because the salesman was an oink or whatever.....

You disliked the test drive - does that mean the car, the route, the company? In teory if you disliked the car then the next one is likely to be similar, if it was the route go and do it again but where YOU want to go, if it was the company with you again ignore that and assess the car

OP
P

pch

Reaction score
"did not like the dealer or the test drive" - meant very pushy salesman trying to be in control all the time, flat battery on car when I turned up for a booked test drive, insisting on deposit before several minor faults resolved & finally rather rude!

"you buy the best deal" - agreed but that includes, price, quality/condition of the car, dealer service & that elusive feel good factor.

I am not in any hurry & don't need to buy another car at the moment, so if something doesn't feel to my satisfaction I can just walk away, after all cars are just like buses, there is always another one along soon.

I understood that the 280CDI was tuned for torque & the 320CDI was tuned for BHP, though essentially the same engine.

stripe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi Brabus D6
I just picked up a 320cdi last week, and would recommend it through and through.

Essentially the 280cdi is the same 3.0 litre engine, although detuned, the 320 has 224bhp and 540Nm compared with the 280's 190bhp and 400Nm

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom