What mpg is your merc returning.??

djb

Reaction score
I forgot to add that I've got a 2000 VW Polo. The one with the first of the PD diesels. The book says that it should have a combined consumption of about 61 mpg but I'm getting 67 / 68 mpg in normal running to work. I did a 600 mile round trip on the M6 at a steady 70mph and got just under 70mpg. The government extra urban figure is 75mpg.

I wish my wifes Polo with the pd engine did anywhere near that figure.

she does much more town work , but gets approx 50mpg

KnightErrant

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K W208 facelift
10 year old CLK 230K coupe with nearly 110,000 miles on the clock is averaging 30mpg. :) This figure is very different under different driving conditions, ranging from struggling to 20mpg when popping round to local supermarket right up to over 40mpg on a long run. I accelerate quickly but read the road ahead to avoid unnecessary braking and re-accelerating.
2734782557_982fca7410_m.jpg
Lots of motorway but also miles of winding roads right across Cornwall - you can see from the average speed that I wasn't hanging around!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
all these petrol engines that can get near 40mpg! im gutted! i havent managed 40mpg yet with my DIESEL! even if i drive it gently/slowly etc!

twistedsanity

Reaction score
the more fuel consumption threads i read the more i wonder how accurate in car fuel consumption meters are, with so much mpg variance between same cars/quoted figures i dont think hey are accurate at all!!

Dr Buz

Reaction score
1997 C180 Esprit. This is a petrol engine.

Actual numbers from topping off the tank between each fill up.

litres 45.73
miles 467.2
Mpg 46.4
Cost; normal (99.9 p litre) £45.68
Total miles 117,325

And...

litres 47.03
miles 476.0
mpg 46.0
Cost; normal (101.9 p litre) £47.92
Total miles 117,801

normal refers to 95 RON

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
46mpg from a C180?
Sorry but I can't believe this. If you dropped it onto a flat road already doing 50 and maintained it forever I doubt you would see this figure. My 40k mile C220 petrol, cruising on a quiet sunday night at 75mph for 3 hours managed an impressive 36mpg so a consistent 46 from a 180, sorry - something's not right.
I'm not doubting your figures, but there must be a reason for it. I had a really economical Ford Granada once. Turned out I had a duff knock sensor and it was running far too lean. It was great until it finally gave up and juddered to a stop. That or the mileometer is overreading.
Official figures tend to be pretty close in my experience, as proven on 5th gear, and my last 3 mercs have certainly done what it said on the tin. An official figure for a C180 W202 is a max of 39.2 so to get another 12% would require low resistance tyres and some serious aerodynamic changes at the very least I would have thought.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
W210 - E240 (petrol) - best result for me 'tank to tank' was 36.4 mpg. I normally get around 34/35 mpg and 25-ish local driving.

No fuel computer just the Mk1 part liquid humanoid non mechanical version now 68 yrs old and still(just about!) working oh yes and the body work is still in reasonable working order with no visible signs of rust:rolleyes:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
210 E320 cdi 40-42 on long run 26-30 "knocking about" mechanicals spot on I have done about 85,000, suspension; springs all have broke at some time, various joints bushes, oh and a long war of attrition ( a weakening or exhausting by constant harassment with MB ) over rust.
Will my car get more economical if I let it rust away!

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
1993 c180 manual, motorway runs of 85mph see's about 32mpg which is reasonaly.
CL500 on a run did about 24mpg, and my 250se does mid to late teen's, but she can be forgiven!

Fred2B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB C180K, Ford Puma 1.7 VCT, Rover 1.4, Talbot camper
2004 model C180K sports averageing 45mpg but had it up to 50.3 last weekend. I saw on Top Gear last night that the new VW Scirocco diesel only get 55mpg so I am quite happy.
Fred

djb

Reaction score
my previous c sport, c200cdi

picture taken at service.

Consumption: 1/1/8 to1/9/8 45,3 MPG (Imp) 7.626 mi and 168 Imp.gal

Attachments

• IMG_3061.jpg
    IMG_3061.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 12

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
"Squirt and go" I never worry about it .

I drove from Bishops Stortford to Carlton in Lindrick (Notts) in a petrol engined Polo (manual) and a week later I did the same journey in my 3 litre SL(auto) and the fuel cost was the same on both cars for the return journey . Felt every bump in the road in the Polo and road noise was unbelievable it was like travelling with a bunch of pi**ed off panel beaters chewing razor blades .

Dr Buz

Reaction score
Hi,

One of the reasons that I don’t post much on any forum is that some people seem to have serious problems accepting my truths.

The numbers that I have posted for my car’s fuel mpg are correct. I have the receipts for the fuel purchases. However, a bit of history and explanation are, perhaps, in order here.

I have owned the car for two and a half years and have put on circa 49,000 miles in that time. My daily commute has been over 100 miles. (And before someone says that my numbers don’t add up here, please consider that I have another car that I use to share the mileage). Every time that I have filled the car up, I have recorded the litres and mileage and then worked out the mpg with a calculator. And I do mean every time that I have filled the car up! My car does NOT have an onboard computer to tell me its mpg. (My car doesn’t even have air con because it is such a basic model). Therefore the mpg figures are real world.

Believe the above numbers; I have recorded every fill up and have every receipt! How many of you have done that?

So how did I get 46 mpg?
This was on a self-imposed economy drive. It was driving the car on the motorway at between 50 to 60 mph. It was never revving above 2000 rpm before changing gear. It was accelerating so slowly that you could have put an egg shell between my foot and the accelerator pedal. (My commute was long and I needed to save money somehow).

I admit that this was not real world driving. It was an attempt by me to see what mpg I could get up to because without trying to do anything out of the ordinary, I was getting a good mpg figure as I describe below.

So what do I get in real world driving?
I have achieved extremes between 35 and 46 mpg with the most common and consistent average at about 39 to 41 mpg.

Nevertheless, I can take this one step further. The mpg is dependent on the type of oil, particularly its viscosity.

Using Halfords fully synthetic 5W/40, the car would consistently average between 39 and 41.
Using Castrol GTX Magnatec 10W/40, the car would average consistently between 37 and 39.
Using Mobil 1 0W/40, the car would consistently average between 40 and 43.

So, please, before you all start jumping down my throat about my fuel figures; just consider how many of you actually record your mpg in such detail. I do because I’m like that. Please realise here that I’m not having a go at anyone.

Also, the car hated Castrol GTX Magnatec. I don’t know why. What I found was that after about 3000 miles, the engine began to run significantly roughly and a change of oil sorted out that problem.

Dr Buz

Reaction score
Hi,

I just wonder, could anyone now give me fuel figures in such detail for either a W126 or W140 (any model in each case) because at today's prices, I am sorely tempted to buy one?

Lerpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 CDI Classic
I drive a C220 CDI, '51 plate, manual saloon.

From what I've read from other posts my figures seem beyond belief but please accept that they are correct and it's the one big reason I keep this particular car, even when I couldn't put it back on the road for 15 months.

Rather than give MPG figures, I prefer to work on how far I can go on a fill up. I generally wait until the warning light comes on and then fill the tank until I can't get any more in. On that basis I generally get between 600 and 800 miles per tank, depending upon journey length, how heavy my boot is and road conditions. I don't drive like and old f**t, nor am I a boy racer.

Given that the tank holds approx 60 litres, I guess I'm getting between 10 - 12 miles per litre, which is between 46 and 60+ MPG. My on-board computer says I'm currently averaging 47.8 MPG and my longest journey at this time is about 10 miles each way.

So..........

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
R129 sl500

I refuelled this car this morning. I keep a record of all costs, including a comprehensive fuel/mileage/price record.

The figures in the 14,250 miles I have driven it are: overall, 23.5 mpg, touring 25.5 mpg.

I drove around France in convoy with an R107 300 SL a couple of years ago and he was using more fuel than I was.

If anyone is contemplating an SL, the 500 is not significantly thirstier than the 320, IMO.

MarkCL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Avantgarde
46mpg from a C180?
Sorry but I can't believe this.

Well I have to say jberks, having had a 1998 C180 Sport, I managed 450 miles on a run to Wales & back before the light came on warning me to fill up so actually I think it is possible - I must have been hitting 44mpg at least :shock: Mine was a manual with no aircon or cruise, just me and a careful right foot cruising along at a steady 72mph (according to my Tom-Tom). I was well impressed as I hadn't expected to get such a good result but the engine was in very good condition and had been well looked after - had about 86,000 miles on the clock as far as I remember when I did that run.

With the C43 the best I ever managed was 31mpg and so far with the CLK55 it's been about 29mpg so not that different really. So far my real world driving has me at 25mpg average for the past 800 miles or so but around 27mpg for my normal 40 mile run in to work. All that is according to the trip computer. I also write down all my mileage on my petrol receipts so will be able to work back and figure out a real world figure that I'll post up later :cool:

Cheers,
Mark

wright

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200, Transporter van
I'm new here got e200 few weeks ago, on a round trip to my parents about 100 miles i got at least 42mpg according to trip computer can't remember exactly, that was at 60-70mph.

FIBAMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180,C180,E300TURBO DIESEL
Well I have to say jberks, having had a 1998 C180 Sport, I managed 450 miles on a run to Wales & back before the light came on warning me to fill up so actually I think it is possible - I must have been hitting 44mpg at least :shock: Mine was a manual with no aircon or cruise, just me and a careful right foot cruising along at a steady 72mph (according to my Tom-Tom). I was well impressed as I hadn't expected to get such a good result but the engine was in very good condition and had been well looked after - had about 86,000 miles on the clock as far as I remember when I did that run.

With the C43 the best I ever managed was 31mpg and so far with the CLK55 it's been about 29mpg so not that different really. So far my real world driving has me at 25mpg average for the past 800 miles or so but around 27mpg for my normal 40 mile run in to work. All that is according to the trip computer. I also write down all my mileage on my petrol receipts so will be able to work back and figure out a real world figure that I'll post up later :cool:

Cheers,
Mark

did a check on mine (96 c180) at about 190,000 miles, on a run between Aberdeen and Newcastle, sticking to speed limits (more or less) and got 39.0mpg.
Now around 212,000 fuel and oil consumption (not burning oil) is still about same, 05 - 1ltr between services.

njkmr

Reaction score
Ive only had my car a couple of weeks CL600 54 plate .
I got the dealer who I bought it off to fill it up for me before I collected it .
Doubt he brimmed it ,but it read as full I think ,when I collected it .

It is now ready for filling again .My mileage ......198 miles covered ...!!!

Hope you all feel better about your miles per gallon now !!

The computer says it has averaged 14.8 mpg since last being reset .
Dont know if this accurate ,or how many litres the tank holds even ,but I know it has given me mucho pleasure showing all the people who wanted a ride in it what it can do .

Have a nice 200 mile trip next week ,so i will see what it can do at a nice steady 70 ish .

Most of what I have done so far has been short trips around town with a quick blast up the motorway ,usually less than 4 or 5 miles at a time so I expect it to guzzle a bit .

Regards
Rob .

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom