What paint do Mercedes use on a 2009 CL 500?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I need to spray my Lawnmower in a few areas.
So as I have a compressor (hopefully up to spraying .. 50L 14CFM) and was given a spray gun.
C1FB4908-2ECB-4F82-97E9-43FDF2C7A7B3.jpeg
Hence I thought I would buy Paint that could also be used on my CL 500, that has a few stone chips on the return of the skirt, and a scuff on one of the wing mirrors. Iridium Silver is also by chance an almost exact match to the Lawnmower

I have heard MB use GLASERIT Paint, is that true?, but is it 1K or 2K? and do they use the same paint on the aluminium body work, as they do on the plastic bumpers and skirts?

I am also a little confused about water based paints. Are they Acrylic?

Another question is I assumed you do not wet sand the final metallic base-coat, before applying the clearcoats; but I have seen a few articles saying to do it! Any views on that?

I believe 2K is much harder, and more resilient in all ways, but I hear it is pretty dangerous if not lethal - but is it?
would my 3M 3PR mask be adequate, if spraying outside on an ideal, dry, warm and non windy day? See photo
E1A0810F-FE61-4723-A7AB-2D11FCDDCFF2.jpeg

If MB do use Glaserit 2K, is this what I need:-
Thinners, primer, metallic basecoat, clearcoat and hardener?

I have heard the term Reducers, what are they? and do you need it?

any pointers appreciated ... or links to sites that explain how a DIYer can get a perfect finish without a spraybooth and oven!

Note I do have a professional Makita Paint polisher, a paint depth meter-machine, and all the various grade pads. Admittedly I have only used the 3M final ultra gloss polish - the one 3M says won’t even take out even the lightest swirl marks. Personally as an amateur I would sacrifice the perfect finish to preserve paint thickness. And I was delighted with the “pop” it created. So perfect for me.
I guess all it did was buff off any residue not removed by the finest grade of clay-bar, and also buffed off any dullness on the clearcoat.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Don't know what they use but I wouldn't go near 2k paints for home spraying.

It's very nasty stuff and causes respiratory and skin disorders.

It's based on isocyanates.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Exactly, not really for home use.
I have a proper breathing apparatus for using this paint plus the full non dust creating overall that covers you from head to toe. Once I put the mask on I can not breath, it needs air pumped in from the compressor!
If you do mess with this product be very careful, a friend of mind repainted his AMG W124 in his garage with just a paper mask and reaped the consequences of the poison. :shock:

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Don't know what they use but I wouldn't go near 2k paints for home spraying.

It's very nasty stuff and causes respiratory and skin disorders.

It's based on isocyanates.
Thanks , its 1K for sure! Nasty stuff

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I know older cars used Glasurit but no idea on your one.
Glasurit is solvent based but any formulation from those cars will almost certainly have changed due to environmental law changes.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom