What questions would you ask another R230 owner?

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 amg, Renault G Espase 2.0Dci 175+, Megane 265 cup
Thanks, the RS8 is the single piece version, the LM6 is the 2 piece version but looks like only available in 20". The RS8 comes in a 19" version. Both very nice wheels.

I have them on mine, the LM6's that is, came on the car one of the reasons i bought the car

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Are plugs usually this expensive? Perhaps just for the M113? I don't recall paying that much for the E350.
Platinum plugs.
There are cheaper options at around half that.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Platinum plugs.
There are cheaper options at around half that.

Interesting.... I imagine if one was to ask which was better it could completely change the topic of this thread... kind of like asking which brand of motor oil is best! :)

(I did have a little Google search and see that there are a number of advantages alright.., not sure they are necessary though?)

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
On another note.... look at this garbage:

https://www.strutmasters.com/3-reasons-mercedes-sl500-suspension-fails-how-fix/

Easy to see why they are writing this... they sell coil springs!
If you have an expensive ABC failure then I think a coilover conversion is a viable option. Granted it wont be as good as ABC but it's something I would definitely consider. I estimatethat the parts would only cost circa £1200, that's for the coilovers, ARB's, end links and power steering pump.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry guys, I meant the subtext of the entire blog post is garbage.

The reasons they state for the system failing is nothing more than hyperbole in my opinion. I mean....

1. Too much complexity - That argument can be made for anything that has been made in the last 20 years at least.
  2. Too many moving parts - Ugh, it's a car! Fully of moving parts... and suspension, nonetheless.. which by very definition, is one big moving part.
  3. Fragile components - Fragile in what sense..? What comparisons have they made to the parts in other hydropneumatic implementations?
It's basically a blog post to scare people into thinking they need to switch over to coil springs before they get a big repair bill.

Looks like a get out of jail free option for anyone on a budget with diy skills :D

That is correct, I just don't like they way they have presented ABC in the post.

If you have an expensive ABC failure then I think a coilover conversion is a viable option. Granted it wont be as good as ABC but it's something I would definitely consider. I estimatethat the parts would only cost circa £1200, that's for the coilovers, ARB's, end links and power steering pump.

Agreed, it is something I would also likely consider if I was in the whole for a new pump and couple struts all at once.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0

Me too - I would factor in £1200 to any purchase of an R230 with ABC. OK they want to flog you their wares, but Strutmaster are correct though that ABC is a complex system with too many parts and too fragile. Bring back cart springs is what I say ( and 5 1/2j steel wheels and their ilk).

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
To choose a fine car, then replace one of the things that make it special, is to diminish the car. The SL500 is a fabulous ride. If parts wear out on a car you love, you replace the parts to retain the integrity of the car. If I went to look at three SLs and one had a coilover conversion, I'd walk away from that one. It won't have the ride quality I'm looking for. That one has been maintained by someone who wouldn't spend the money to maintain it to the highest standard. What else did they economise on?

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To choose a fine car, then replace one of the things that make it special, is to diminish the car. The SL500 is a fabulous ride. If parts wear out on a car you love, you replace the parts to retain the integrity of the car. If I went to look at three SLs and one had a coilover conversion, I'd walk away from that one. It won't have the ride quality I'm looking for. That one has been maintained by someone who wouldn't spend the money to maintain it to the highest standard. What else did they economise on?

I agree, but each to their own and some might be happy with the coils.

I read a post from a guy a while ago who said that once the springs are fitted you begin to really notice the weight of the corners as is shifts around in the corners..

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004

Some might be happy with a collection of parts from a variety of cars. Maybe a flying lady on the bonnet of their Mercedes instead of the three pointed star? The Jonny cash approach to cars is amusing but not for me.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
If you look at the tuning scene for prestige cars such as Porsche, Ferrari etc many OEM parts are replaced to improve the cars. I think it would be possible to have an SL500 and above on Coilovers and have a great performing car. I have read posts where an owner has not used ARB's or used the ones from an SL350 which are unsuitable. It's also important to get the correct spring loading.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
If you look at the tuning scene for prestige cars such as Porsche, Ferrari etc many OEM parts are replaced to improve the cars. I think it would be possible to have an SL500 and above on Coilovers and have a great performing car. I have read posts where an owner has not used ARB's or used the ones from an SL350 which are unsuitable. It's also important to get the correct spring loading.

I replaced the head unit in my car, because it could be improved. If a headlight fails, I won't be asking if I could fit one from a VW.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0

I read a post from a guy a while ago who said that once the springs are fitted you begin to really notice the weight of the corners as is shifts around in the corners..

Properly selected adjustable coil overs shouldn't cause shifting around in corners though. As you say each to their own- it's a never ending discussion. You have to admire those who throw (sometimes) £000's at their ABC systems when it's clearly uneconomic to do so - true enthusiasts.

LesTaylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL55 AMG F1
I love my R230. It took me ages to find one, I found a really nice one. It now has just over 90,000 miles on it and still surprises me. I’m not wealthy, I only work part time, but I’m able to maintain mine with regular services and maintenance. I just budget a little so I can enjoy the R230 experience...

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom