What to look out for CLK 280/350 Sports 2009

OP
F

France David

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK280 / 350 2009 - in pursuit
Thanks Wighty for your sitting-on-the-fence stance! Much like our corporate lawyers.....

The 280 under my radar had lots of TLC fr the last owner as gleaned fr the past invoices hence my inclination twds it. And I believe the marginal extra hp of the 350 might not match those extra TLCs in the long run. Do u think so??

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks Wighty for your sitting-on-the-fence stance! Much like our corporate lawyers.....

The 280 under my radar had lots of TLC fr the last owner as gleaned fr the past invoices hence my inclination twds it. And I believe the marginal extra hp of the 350 might not match those extra TLCs in the long run. Do u think so??
Funny buddy :), no lawyers here.
, I would pick the better condition car regardless of engine size especially on our potholed overcrowded roads .

OP
F

France David

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Funny buddy :), no lawyers here.
, I would pick the better condition car regardless of engine size especially on our potholed overcrowded roads .
& very much agreed.

Just something to share. In my CLKs hunting experience recently, I notice many car dealers are throwing in car all sorts of warranty schemes in exchange of a buyer's lesser scrutiny of the vehicle's past history or a lack of it altogether. While I thought a neglected or under maintained vehicle can't be saved by any warranty scheme. Am I too critical??

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
& very much agreed.

Just something to share. In my CLKs hunting experience recently, I notice many car dealers are throwing in car all sorts of warranty schemes in exchange of a buyer's lesser scrutiny of the vehicle's past history or a lack of it altogether. While I thought a neglected or under maintained vehicle can't be saved by any warranty scheme. Am I too critical??
Pretty much all aftermarket warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on - everything becomes a wear and tear item :(

OP
F

France David

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pretty much all aftermarket warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on - everything becomes a wear and tear item :(
I cant agree with you more! Though in one instant a dealer was suggesting he could ”blurr” the line between wear-and-tear and genuine issue letting the warranty issuer to foot the bill of the repair, say the failure of the M272!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I cant agree with you more! Though in one instant a dealer was suggesting he could ”blurr” the line between wear-and-tear and genuine issue letting the warranty issuer to foot the bill of the repair, say the failure of the M272!
They will say absolutely anything to make a sale… then do absolutely nothing once they have…

OP
F

France David

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Probably you are right.

I managed to try out both 280 and 350 in the past days. While no doubt the extra 40 HPs of 350 makes a stronger surge at low revs, this edge starting to fate out in mid ranges. And I am going for the CLK280 simply it has received plenty of TLC fr its previous owner over the 40 HPs of the 350. Hope I make the right choice.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Probably you are right.

I managed to try out both 280 and 350 in the past days. While no doubt the extra 40 HPs of 350 makes a stronger surge at low revs, this edge starting to fate out in mid ranges. And I am going for the CLK280 simply it has received plenty of TLC fr its previous owner over the 40 HPs of the 350. Hope I make the right choice.
We are going to need a new thread with pics now buddy , congrats

OP
F

France David

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just the latest. I managed to haggle with the dealer in Wolverhampton last weekend to pay 80% as downpayment with the remaining 20% upon collection this Thurs. Keeping my fingers hoping all outstanding issues of the 280 would be rectified by then.

On the other hand the other dealer in Durham still has not returned my holding deposit on a 350 (hold car till I could test drive it). All signs are he is in no mood to refund me while also avoiding my calls thus far. Guess I can only pursue this dis-honest dealer after 8 weeks have passed. Traditional values ”my word is my bond” have long disappeared and sadly I have to discover in this way!

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Op it could come to using some magic words to get your deposit back from the other dealer. Words like trading standards, ombudsman and small claims court spring to mind. You're in the best position to judge if and when. Good luck and hope the one you've bought brings some satisfaction.

OP
F

France David

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Grahamcol! Judging from my episode and encounters that dealer would probably have repeatedly engaged in such tricks!

For my fellow members, just pay extra care when dealers asking for holding deposit.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Agree with Blobcat. Open a savings account with overdraft facility. If nothing goes wrong you have the money£££ not the warranty outfit.
Also you can choose where to get the car fixed.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Just the latest. I managed to haggle with the dealer in Wolverhampton last weekend to pay 80% as downpayment with the remaining 20% upon collection this Thurs. Keeping my fingers hoping all outstanding issues of the 280 would be rectified by then.

On the other hand the other dealer in Durham still has not returned my holding deposit on a 350 (hold car till I could test drive it). All signs are he is in no mood to refund me while also avoiding my calls thus far. Guess I can only pursue this dis-honest dealer after 8 weeks have passed. Traditional values ”my word is my bond” have long disappeared and sadly I have to discover in this way!
Had a couple of cars from that dealer group, was well looked after.

OP
F

France David

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Everybody,

Its late June now and after some 2000+ wonderful miles, its high time for me to complete my story on the CLK.

Eventually I decided on a CLK 280 with 81000+ mls that appeared to be cherished by its previous owners put on sale by a certain car dealer in Wolverhampton. The moment I drove it away from the forecourt the ERL came on shortly, classic! Glad the dealer took care of that by replacing its MAF (huge improvements in short-term fuel trims). However the ERL came back on a few days later and my scanner gave me codes of P0172 & P0175. I changed the air filters (dealer claimed to have changed air filter - see photo) and also gave it 6 new spark plugs with little success. Besides "system too rich in both bank 1 and 2", the engine also suddenly rev up mostly at idle occasionally. I noticed some loose mechanical noise from the exhaust from time to time as well.

My plan is to bring the car to an Indy to resolve the above issues if I fail to make any headway from here and hope for the best!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-05-28 at 5.34.21 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-28 at 5.34.21 PM (1).jpeg
    359.3 KB · Views: 7

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Everybody,

Its late June now and after some 2000+ wonderful miles, its high time for me to complete my story on the CLK.

Eventually I decided on a CLK 280 with 81000+ mls that appeared to be cherished by its previous owners put on sale by a certain car dealer in Wolverhampton. The moment I drove it away from the forecourt the ERL came on shortly, classic! Glad the dealer took care of that by replacing its MAF (huge improvements in short-term fuel trims). However the ERL came back on a few days later and my scanner gave me codes of P0172 & P0175. I changed the air filters (dealer claimed to have changed air filter - see photo) and also gave it 6 new spark plugs with little success. Besides "system too rich in both bank 1 and 2", the engine also suddenly rev up mostly at idle occasionally. I noticed some loose mechanical noise from the exhaust from time to time as well.

My plan is to bring the car to an Indy to resolve the above issues if I fail to make any headway from here and hope for the best!
Your symptoms sounds like the swirl flap issue that M272’s can suffer from.

OP
F

France David

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Blobcat for your input. Having read a few articles on the subject but no wiser, is there anyway I can confirm its the swirl flap issue? Cheers.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Blobcat for your input. Having read a few articles on the subject but no wiser, is there anyway I can confirm its the swirl flap issue? Cheers.
Getting it plugged in and seeing what the codes are and having a respected MB indie look at it.

OP
F

France David

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Gotcha and thanks. :):):)

OP
F

France David

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I took the car to GFM in Edinburgh this morning and Gordon diagnosed all those issues (except back-box of the exhaust in its last leg) were due to an improperly seated air box! And hoped thats the end of it for now.

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
All of these things were pre existing faults when you bought the car. If they weren't brought to your attention when buying the car and explanation for a reduced price, the selling dealer is legally responsible for putting these right, which normally me and limited to pre exisiting faults you find within the first 6 months. Worcester migjt be a big round trip, bit it's worth a phone call to discuss.

This duty to sell a car without pre existing faults is in law, and over and above any rubbish warranty. Dealers when faced with this situation will use diversion and deception tactics like "you don't have a warranty/It's not covered by the warranty" (which might be both true), but that doesn't absolve them of they duty (although some dealers will try to deflect and trick you into thinking it does).

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom