1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first car?

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by Dean Fletcher, Apr 4, 2019.

1. sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2014
    Hydro elastic suspension that you had to periodically take to a garage to have it pumped up!

Mercedes SL500 R231

Jimbo1959 likes this.
  2. MalcQV

MalcQV Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes CLA200
    75, 1600 OHC MK3 Cortina.

daibevan and Dean Fletcher like this.
  3. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Corrected to the (non-PC) name we used to use...
    It had about as much co-ordination in bumpy bends....

sl500amgsport and Blobcat like this.
  4. Botsy8

Botsy8 Member

Your Mercedes:
    C250cdi AMG sport plus estate 2012
    1983 Renault 5 gordini in black. Bought in feb 1986.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. mercmancdi

mercmancdi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
    Ford 1100 cc van then came up in the world to a top of the range Austin allegro van de plas , or something like that.
    Long time ago. Since then I think I must have owned about 95% of all the makes out there and some that are no longer available.

Dean Fletcher likes this.
  6. Rob76

Rob76 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S211 E280 CDI Sport
    K132 YOC
    Ford Sierra 2.0 GT Estate

Worst car i ever had.......

7. OP
    Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes e 250 coupe AMG 2009
    What was the speed stats on that beast.

8. Rob76

Rob76 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S211 E280 CDI Sport
    Dont know, it spent most of its time on a low loader

Dean Fletcher and LostKiwi like this.
  9. daibevan

daibevan Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006
    Just remembered. I had an Austin van my Grampa used to sell fruit and veg from. He left it to me, but I was only 14, so I sold it. He was always coming home and saying "I've found a lovely car for our David" to which the reply was always "But he's only 12, 13, etc) To which he'd reply "So, he can still drive it." He'd had his licence since before you had to pass a test (If he even had one).

Taffy7hfa, Blobcat and Dean Fletcher like this.
  10. Alfie

Alfie Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
    BMW 2002 tii - Loved it....PBK 668M..... Wish I still had it :-(

Blobcat likes this.
  11. JohnArnoldBrown

JohnArnoldBrown Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220 CDI Estate 2003
    I didn't know hand signals had been dropped from the test, but you're correct, they have been.
    Having said that, it's my belief that the driving test is a whole lot harder these days than it was back in the seventies, when I took it. There was no written test back then, just two or three random questions about the highway code. I can remember confidently identifying the uneven road surface sign as "double hump-backed bridge".

Jimbo1959 likes this.
  12. Conor

Conor Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212 E350 CGI Estate / 2010 / 3.5ltr V6
    Mine was a Mk V Golf GTI - I paid too much for it to begin with and sold it for for far too less to finish with.

I absolutely cherished everything in between those two points though..and I pine after it frequently. A really great example that I probably should have kept, oh well.

Attached Files:

daibevan and Srdl like this.
  13. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    In the 70s the NZ test was in three parts, all tested by police officers.
    First was a written multi choice paper with 25 questions of which you had to get 23 correct.
    Second was an oral test of 5 questions of which 3 had to be answered correctly and only then could you do the practical test which involved driving the police officer around town for an hour whilst he made notes.

The oral test could be quite difficult. My test as one question was "Name 5 things relevant to towing".

14. 00slk

00slk Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL55 AMG, 2003 SL500
    Ha ha, remember the tests well LK, failed my first one for driving with my arm resting on the door and hand left on the gear lever. Second fail was the speedo needle wavered too much and the copper couldn't determine my speed! My Dad said, 'next time take Mum's car, the speedo can't be seen from the passenger seat, see what the tos*"er says then.' :D Needless to say I passed third time.

15. keefysher

keefysher Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
    Meanwhile, back in Blighty in the 70's...

I had 3 driving lessons, the 1st was from home in a tiny village to the big town of Henley-on-Thames to the test centre to see where it was in readiness not to be late. 2nd was on a foggy night to drive the most likely test route. As we approached a junction where the testers made you reverse around the corner Pulled up at the kerb, got out the car and walked around trying to see the corner, then went home. 3rd was on the way to the test centre. Booked in, came out, did the eyesight test reading number plates of cars on other side of the road. 13 minutes later, returned to the test centre, passed :cool::D

I didn't have much time to fit the test in during the previous year due to my paddling training and competing. So as I actually had a car, that many didn't who had licences, I drove over 40000 miles all over the country to Scotland, Yorkshire, Wales, Cornwall racking up miles with a passenger who had a licence. Car loaded with kayaks. Happy days :D:)

16. DSK

DSK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS 320 CDI
    1985 VW Golf 1.6GL handed down by my mum.

First car I bought with my own money was a 1986 Audi 80 Quattro saloon.

17. keith100

keith100 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    w204 c300 2008
    Although I 'm currently having a fling with a young Jaguar and no longer a member of the MB “Family”, I occasionally lurk on this forum, which I feel is a most interesting one overall.

Seeing this thread, I decided to contribute – after all you first car is like your first time – you never forget!

So,
    1946 Armstrong Siddeley Typhoon, a 2 door hardtop with straight six engine and 4 speed syncromash gearbox ( not a mis-spelling, by the time I owned it double de-clutching was a necessary skill) I bought it in 1960 for 30 quid.

Some unusual features were double gas tanks, an adjustable steering column, push button starting, rad. blind, heater and built-in jacks. A much used accessory was the crank handle. The leisurely acceleration to 60, was complimented by the even more leisurely deceleration to 0.

I bought it with an 11 mon MOT, bought a 1 year insurance before it expired, then liberally interpreted (as you do at 20) the MOT renewal grace period.

Life was much simpler then

Taffy7hfa and Blobcat like this.
  18. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2012 W204 Sport ///AMG Line 4dr Auto, Obsidian Black, Light Grey Faux Leather. And no AMG badges !!
    When in my late teens three of us lads bought an Austin Sheerline between us. We thought that would pull the birds. But of course the only way we could run it was to share between the three of us. The only problem was that because there were three of us we had to argue as who would be driving it at the weekends :rolleyes: Not the car but it was the same colour as below. Turned out to be not such a good plan after all :rolleyes::)

[​IMG]

19. Andedav

Andedav Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220 1994 2200
    Austin Healey Sprite Mk3, Reg ARG 888B. Oh where are you now.