What would you buy if Mercedes didn't exist

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
I've had a few Alfas (still have one), a few Ferraris (still have one) and would like a Maserati. 3200, 4200 or a Granturismo would be nice but I don't want them for everyday. The potential repair bills I know (from having an old Ferrari) can be expensive. My CLK has issues but it has been a cheap car to own (luck?? maybe).

My plan is for a petrol A-class (new) later this year. My CLK has impressed me alot. Anyway a replacement if a Merc was not possible.
AuDi A5 (older), BMW 2 Series or 6 Series (old not new for the latter). I hear too many horror stories regarding Range Rovers so although I like them for a daily I want reliability. Ford, VW, Honda, Mazda, Alfa etc.

It's a daily car for daily duties I'll take most things except generally anything French and Vauxhall :D

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
They are very good it's where I bought my SL500, they have a 63 and a 500 there now.

Did you buy the black one? If so that was the car that started me off looking for an SL...?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200

Same thing now ;)

Never had a problem with my Senators & Omega :)
My second car in about 1985 was a 1978 Opel Manta. That wasn't too bad if you ignore the worn camshaft two months after I bought it.
It was coincidently the only other automatic car I have ever owned.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I had a brace of Vauxhalls in the 90's.

Astra GTE MkI in airfix white. Recaro seats, excellent toy.

Astra GTE MkII 2litre 8v in electric blue. Another fun toy. Threw a con rod through the block in the outside lane on the M4 when I was in a hurry to get to the hospice to see my late father one Sunday evening. No spare engines in Europe so the dealer and Luton got parts and built a new engine for delivery back to me on the Friday.

Cavalier SRi 130 as I decided I'd grown up.

Astra GTE MkII Champion with a few mods. Full Connolly hide recaros and interior.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Unlikely my next car will be a Merc, so not so off topic really for me.

If I wanted another convertible, then the choice is limited as I would need a 4 seater with a decent amount of rear leg room. So probably and Audi for that. If I go back to something with character (what I really miss with buying a Merc) then it would an Alfa Romeo again. If I wanted to stretch the budget a bit further for a saloon then a Tesla S would probably be the choice.

OP
V6Matty

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Lexus LS400 Mark IV

S Class, Japanese interpretation
Agree with you there Richard re Lexus, I've always quite liked them, there is an LS600h for sale locally to me and I'm quite tempted to take a look, they seem very good cars that take on Mercedes at their own game.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
They are very good it's where I bought my SL500, they have a 63 and a 500 there now.

Did you buy the black one? If so that was the car that started me off looking for an SL...?

Sorry meant my E63!
They took my SL500 in p/ex for a good price and sold it on I think quite quickly

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Unlikely my next car will be a Merc, so not so off topic really for me.

If I wanted another convertible, then the choice is limited as I would need a 4 seater with a decent amount of rear leg room. So probably and Audi for that. If I go back to something with character (what I really miss with buying a Merc) then it would an Alfa Romeo again. If I wanted to stretch the budget a bit further for a saloon then a Tesla S would probably be the choice.
Test drove a Tesla S it put me off being a £100k car with a £15k feel interior, very thin plasticky feel to it, very American worse interior than a Mustang, closer to a Chevrolet hatch back.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Depends on budget....

Blue sky no limits...

Aston DB5/6 or 11
Bentley
Jaguar Mk2 Coombes......Or maybe a Beacham
Honda NSX
Jenson Interceptor
Tesla

Real world budget.........

Maybe another Subaru Legacy GTB
Lexus
Honda
Jaguar
Golf R32
You wouldn't be able to choose a DB11, it's an MB collaboration, engine, switchgear etc :rolleyes:

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
It would have to be a Discovery (again) for me ... in fact there might be one on the cards soon :)

I'll be keeping the C220 though!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
What was the year/spec of your SL500?

It was an older R230 Facelift ‘58 plate (2009 Model), Palladium Silver/Red Leather interior..
Distronic, airscarf, Keyless go, Panoramic, AMG Body styling, rear boot lip spoiler, HK- exhaust resonator deleted to produce a proper V8 sound, no badges....

Top Bottom