Whats the difference between Comfort and Sport mode?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes, isn't that odd. Could someone technical explain why some few years back turning off the aircon made a big difference to consumption and now on models over the last few years it is hard to detect any significant gain? And what a difference in misting up etc as Whitenemesis says.

On earlier car the compressor clutch only engaged when you turned the air con on.
For the last few year and more so with climate control the compressor runs all the time (no clutch). that I why there is no difference.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I didnt know that. Thanks Malcolm.

I think Dave that you could take this 1 step further, if you turned the temp to minimum, then the compressor would be under load, but this could be so slight it would not be noticed.

I often read of summer motoring tips given out by the press, turn the A/C off to save money, what a tip, 2 screaming over heated kids in the back, you are too hot to think, and you paid a couple of grand to have A/C. I think it is a bad tip

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I've been running in C for a few days now and yes it does improve economy. 27 has become 29 on my short conjested hop into the office.
That said, after 2 years running in S, I've eased my foot down expecting a spirited take off a couple of times now and found the response lacking. It did pick up eventually but the kick in the back I'm used to didn't arrive.

verytalldave

Reaction score
There has to be a trade off. To get better economy, performance generally does suffer somewhere down the line. However, you do get used to the slightly slower pickup and modify your driving accordingly. Personally, I prefer the less aggressive delivery of C mode. And as an added bonus, I have been reliably informed, the rear tyres last much longer. MUCH longer.

moneyman

Reaction score
Tend to use C on my CLK 500 for the majority of the time. Power delivery is much smoother also better on wet roads as you can light up the rears in S mode without trying. However with the right conditions S is fine and provide plenty of :)

As for fuel economy I think that the difference is negligable. I have just completed 20k miles at an av of 25.7mpg which I consider to be v. good.
Regards
Steve

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
On earlier car the compressor clutch only engaged when you turned the air con on.
For the last few year and more so with climate control the compressor runs all the time (no clutch). that I why there is no difference.

Thanks from me too Malcolm. Interesting to learn why on recent cars it makes almost no difference, yet years back the difference was significant.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05

Thanks from me too Malcolm. Interesting to learn why on recent cars it makes almost no difference, yet years back the difference was significant.

I realise I could be arguing against my own findings but..

Reading through the docs re the aircon, it is running all the time but there is a valve that releases the load on the compressor when not required. I would have thought a free spinning compressor would present less load akin to when there was a clutch?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom