Whats your MPG ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Several years ago we had a Ford Capri 3.0 (for my sins) with an auto choke. My wife rang me up one really cold February day at work to say she had run out of petrol when she'd gone shopping locally. Unbeknown to her there was a gallon can of fuel in the back. I told her to fill up and start her up and she'd be on her way. One hour later she called me again to say the car had run out again; she had done 9.6 mile!

I suppose things have improved slightly

Rich

That takes me back to when I used to convert those water temp chokes over to manual, apart from vacuam wipers that must be the worst thing ford has ever used.

Malcolm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
In the early eighties I owned a 1971 455ci Pontiac Transam and a 1971 351ci Mustang Mach One, I used to run out of fuel almost every week because I simply couldn't believe how much petrol I'd used! I used to convince myself that the tank gauges were faulty!

Ahh - those were the days!

I had a Chrysler Imperial 22 foot long white convertable with the spare wheel in the rear of the boot lid, it was a wonderful bird catcher,sadly the amount of petrol it used meant that I could do nothing with the birds I picked up other than sit in the car. It sold after 10 days it was just stupid.

malcolm

robs-mbz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E300TD
Know exactly how you felt Malcolm, my whole months salary went on petrol, beer and takaway food! Any Birds I pulled had to learn to pay their own way!

Boy, I had some fun though!

type49

Reaction score
Several years ago we had a Ford Capri 3.0 (for my sins) with an auto choke. My wife rang me up one really cold February day at work to say she had run out of petrol when she'd gone shopping locally. Unbeknown to her there was a gallon can of fuel in the back. I told her to fill up and start her up and she'd be on her way. One hour later she called me again to say the car had run out again; she had done 9.6 mile!

I suppose things have improved slightly

Rich

I had one of those. Still miss it! Any excuse to drive in the rain.

David Pemberton

Reaction score
2000 202 220CDI Estate ~37 mpg, mostly motorway, (BP Ultimate), 'box in S
1987 107 300SL mpg in low 20s, mixed, driven gently (how else), 'box in E

AlisonH

Reaction score
Website
www.trpd.co.uk
I seem to be getting between 25 & 28 mpg - mainly lower gears, hills, stop/start and usually with a load on. Have yet to do a longer run, but will be interested to see what it does then.

scotspen

Reaction score
Getting about 17-18 mpg town driving and can average 26 mpg on the motorways, I make a point now of not looking at the mpg gauge, always end up buying heavy drinkers, they sound so much better and I know it sounds egotistical but its great having the edge on the car next to you.

D3Less

Reaction score
Getting around 37 mpg mainly on short 6 mile runs of 40 - 60 mph.
Got 42.5 mpg recently on a return trip of 100 mile motorway / 45 minute crawl through London with a full car, was very impressed!

Bazzjazz

Reaction score
Website
www.bmcdesign.com
Your Mercedes
E300TD Estate
my 1999 E300TD started out at 28 mpg over a few tanks and after work (new valve body) am getting 31-33 mpg consistently.

Funny thing is there is no noticeable difference in consumption when using either the "W" or "S" settings. I now leave it on "S" as it is more responsive in that mode.

F

fwb44

23 m.p.g. all round but it runs on LPG & I tend to hover around the 85 m.p.h. mark on motorways which is 95% of the driving I do. What the heck! It doesn't cost any more to run than my trusty old E320 CDI which still sits on my drive with a hang-dog look: 'What did I do wrong that you don't want me any more??'

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It doesn't cost any more to run than my trusty old E320 CDI which still sits on my drive with a hang-dog look: 'What did I do wrong that you don't want me any more??'
Be careful that the 't' doesn't drop off ;-)
BTW how are you liking the W220 compared to the W210?

F

fwb44

Be careful that the 't' doesn't drop off ;-)
BTW how are you liking the W220 compared to the W210?
Heh heh! Amazingly enough, not a speck of the dreaded r-word on the old girl. I could charge around the streets of London and dodge anything on the motorway in ways that I can't in the S class. At first I made stately progress in the middle lane in the W220 and let the tailgating maniacs hurtle to their doom in the outside lane; then I twigged that if I sat at about 83-85 m.p.h. in the o/s lane I'd mostly be left alone except by the odd deranged BMW whom I wouldn't deign to be associated with anyway. For once I'm going to leave this S class badged - it procures respect. But it's difficult to park, even with Parktronic, awkward for the driver to get into and out of, even with the programmed seat & steering wheel movement, and the boot size is ... pitiful! Not to mention storage space - there's nowhere to put anything! And what about £650 each for shock absorbers, of which I've needed 3 already? And what happened to that warbly rumble you get in any other V8? Why did the M-B engineers tune it out in favour of a highly-strung, over-bred whine?

So overall not ecstatic, but my customers love it, and we can hold conversations or listen to the radio or music at speed without any strain. But classic ... it ain't

Transport Design

Reaction score
remember that service intervals and tyre pressures also effect your mpg...

a clogged up air filter means less air gets in and worse mpg as you have to compensate for it with extra fuel...

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
W210 220 cdi Auto Est (Jan 2003)51mpg over 1700 miles Cheshire to Spain and 39mpg driving around.Accelerating gently,braking/slowing in good time and rarely exceeding 80mph.

Captain Flack

Reaction score
C270 CDi 42mph combined, 49 mpg @ 80mph, 46mpg from Portree(Isle of Skye) to Brighton in 9hrs 30mins(mixture of Scottish Highland roads and (mostly) motorway)

OZ420SE

Reaction score
11.5 l/100km (approx 25mpg) highway driving, using 98 RON fuel.

Consumption goes up a bit when I am forced to use 95RON.

1988 420 SE.

Chris_J

Reaction score
W203 C220 CDI Coupe and I'm getting about 33/34 mpg. Mainly town and dual carriageway.

Andy Wr

Reaction score
My latest mpg on 2 tankfulls of fuel and a steady right foot, no motorway driving, all A roads and country lanes, tank 1, 23.7 mpg, tank 2, 24.7 so not a lot of difference, may put the K & N air filter back in and try that.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom