Wheel arch lip rust protection covers?

C280estateguy

Reaction score
Can anyone help? I've just finished treating the surface rust on the inside lip of the wheel arch on all 4 wings of my 1998 C280 Estate/T (W202). Luckily it hadn't spread from the turned-under lip of the wing around the wheel arch (only visible when looking up with the wheel off). It was a lot of work to fix (strip, Kurust, primer, topcoat, laquer), but now they all look perfect. I've seen protective plastic strips on Lexus LS400 which slide over this vulnerable edge covering it completely and protect it from the stones etc which get thrown at it. Does anyone know if anyone makes them, or can I adapt some, to fit a W202? I've had this car from new (1998) and don't want to have to go through this again (the rest of the body is rust-free). Thanks!

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Wheel Arch Protection

Not sure whether this will help or not, but I notice that the lips of my 204 wheel arches are protected with what looks like a bead of mastic which is painted over.

Maybe a visit to your local dealership's showroom will help to explain better.

Ernie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
Can anyone help? I've just finished treating the surface rust on the inside lip of the wheel arch on all 4 wings of my 1998 C280 Estate/T (W202). Luckily it hadn't spread from the turned-under lip of the wing around the wheel arch (only visible when looking up with the wheel off). It was a lot of work to fix (strip, Kurust, primer, topcoat, laquer), but now they all look perfect. I've seen protective plastic strips on Lexus LS400 which slide over this vulnerable edge covering it completely and protect it from the stones etc which get thrown at it. Does anyone know if anyone makes them, or can I adapt some, to fit a W202? I've had this car from new (1998) and don't want to have to go through this again (the rest of the body is rust-free). Thanks!

Good to hear you did the repair properly. ;)
Not sure covers are the best way forward. Whilst they may stop stone chips, they trap moisture. Stuff chucked up by the wheels is the nastiest varient too, full of salt and other chemicals that like to attack metal.
Go to Halfrauds and get an aerosol of black waxoyl for about £7.
Use the little straw attachment that should be in the lid, and put a few sprays of waxoyl up behind each arch. You can wipe away the excess with a rag. Do this every four weeks or so throughout the winter (one can should be enough til next year if you don't go mad), and it'll be sure to keep the arches in good condition. Used over time, the waxoyl will creep in behind the lip and leave a good barrier against any future corrosion. :cool:

OP
C

C280estateguy

Reaction score
Good suggestions - thanks! But what about the Lexus protective covers? They were black, really snug-fitting and looked to be protecting the wheel arch lips perfectly (I've seen 2 mid-90's LS400s). Do MB fit anything similar to top of the range models?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Hondas and rovers used a similar beading around the wheel arches..not a good idea as they do trap moisture and road silt as already stated... I would go the waxoyl route..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Me too waxoil all the way

OP
C

C280estateguy

Reaction score
I guess it's a combination of water and stones/grit/salt that causes this part of the car to rust dramatically, when the rest of the (11-year old) body is pretty much rust-free. It's probably why they fit the big plastic wheel arch protectors over the whole of the inner wings. I take the point that rim guards might trap moisture.

However, the guards I saw on the two 14/15 year old high mileage Lexus LS400s seemed to be working perfectly - there was no sign of rust or paint damage anywhere on the wing edges. (maybe the Lexus wings are galvanised?)

If I can't find any protective covers/guards like the Lexuses had, I plan to coat the lip with waxoyl or other underbody protection (it won't be seen). But I'd rather do that and then slide the protective covers on top of the freshly waxoyled lip. That would surely stop any rust from reappearing under the guard and protect the lip forever?

I wonder if I could get some guards off a dismantled Lexus at a breakers to see if they can be made to fit?

GlynC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi A8 Sport
Just had mine repaired by MB on the C Class:D
They have done a good job and the paint now looks to have a stone chip type finish as a opposed to the smooth paint finish before. They have also used a "gum" like compound behind the rolled edges. ;)
I have applied a good spread of Waxoil around the whole arch too so hopefully sorted!
:)

walkenblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 w203 220cdi Avantgarde
They have done a good job and the paint now looks to have a stone chip type finish as a opposed to the smooth paint finish before. They have also used a "gum" like compound behind the rolled edges. ;)
I have applied a good spread of Waxoil around the whole arch too so hopefully sorted!

How much was the cost for MB to do this? ..

OP
C

C280estateguy

Reaction score

I'd like to know the MB price too!

Incidentally, when I removed the large plastic wheel arch internal protective covers in the front arches, I found a solid mass (11-years' worth) of wet leaves and crud packed behind the cover down near the sill by the footwell. They must have come in between the windscreen/scuttle and the hood and become trapped at the bottom. I urge everyone to unscrew the lower fixings holding your cover to the footwell/sill, pull the edge of the cover forward and check yours (takes a minute, though easier with the wheel off - take care you don't break the side repeater light clips, as I did, as they are very fragile - easiest to pop them out first). I'm amazed there wasn't any rust beneath the crud.

Found these which I might try: E-Tech Wheel Arch Protectors at £8.59 plus VAT and delivery each from needforspeed.co.uk (I tried to include the link here but it keeps failing). Also there's a Lexus LS400 being broken not far away I might try to get the guards off. Again, I'd use these on top of a thick coat of waxoyl, and plaster more waxoyl on top of the fitted guard, where it's not seen. That should protect everything?

These E-Tech guards will only fit the front arches, as the rear arches have the inner lip folded back against the body, so there's nothing to attach a guard to. They still rust though! Dunno how to attach anything to protect them, so will probably just Waxoyl them (what about a coat of clear external silicone sealant from Wickes?).

Also, there are the short exposed lips of the body side panels which extend into the arches (front and rear) and form the vertical section of the arch, which also need protecting, as they were very rusty, and are very visible.

Top Bottom