1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel bolts torque settings.

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by television, Apr 29, 2009.

1. OP
    television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Very difficult Dave,, it is instinct to apply a little some thing on a wheel bolt that is very tight or rusty, I think that the makers have allowed a fair tolerance on these things

2. Number_Cruncher

Number_Cruncher Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1995 W124 E300D TE
    One thing I forgot to mention above when I talked about how bolts are stretched as they are tightened - I didn't mention the distances involved.

A typical wheel bolt will become about 50 microns longer after it has been tightened up - and the material around the wheel hole will be compressed by about 10 microns.

For most short bolts, this type of extension is quite typical, and it's only on cylinder head bolts for engines like the Rover K Series where you can get bolt elongations during installation of the order of 1mm (1000 microns).

So, dirt or foreign material in the joint which can compress and become embedded in the mating surfaces can easily squash by these amounts - which would relax the tension in the bolt. For this reason, it's very important to recheck your wheel bolts some time and distance after remounting a wheel - tyre depots typically stipulate something like 30 or 50 miles.

I would go so far as to argue that this re-checking of the bolts is actually more important than if you set them to 100Nm or 110Nm.

3. Number_Cruncher

Number_Cruncher Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1995 W124 E300D TE
    Yes, I concurr - manufacturers know that car wheel bolts will be abused.

The wheel bolts oin trucks should ever be handled by professionals, and so, the need to include a bodge factor in the design is (or should be!) diminished.

4. nick73

nick73 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    w209, CLK 280 Convertible
    Would it make any difference in torque settings if a 210 was fitted with wheels off a 211?? Different bolts are used, so just thought perhaps different torque settings would be used too?

5. OP
    television

Your Mercedes:
    A 210 uses 12mm bolts and a 211 14mm, so you are still using the 12mm so the settings stay the same

6. Kompressor

Kompressor Senior Member

Is there an app for that? :rolleyes:

7. Kompressor

Kompressor Senior Member

Actually there is and I had it all along on my iPhone. This app is the best converter I have seen in the app store so far and it converts among many things Ft-lb to N-m visa versa among many others.

The app is called Convertbot.
    Actually all the bot series are very good!!
    List of things it converts - scroll to the bottom of the list

8. alc250d

alc250d Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    w202 c250d
    The torque setting of wheel bolts provide even distribution of force spread across the five bolts and the surfaces of the wheel/hub,the centre of the wheel provides location. We all use loctite on our caliper bolts but have to clean the old loctite out before fitting new bolts. If there was a concern over the tonnage applied to wheel bolts to keep the wheel on then the hubs on our mercs would be at least 20mm.thick to stop threads pulling.Hence the warnings about using wheel spacers.

9. ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
    Very Interesting info,
    it should be noted most commercial wheels have left handed wheel nut threads on one side and right handed threads on the other, this system is also used on Rolls Royces, who incidentally used brass nuts on the Shadow 1.;)

Alfie

10. Wingnuts

Wingnuts Guest

Wheel torques

On this subject my A150 owners book says 130nm can I assume that this also includes the specified alloys? sadly no more info on this in book other than spec for steel & alloy wheels themselves and I am about to fit alloys.

Thanks

11. Silver_Star

Silver_Star Senior Member

Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
    Your Mercedes:
    W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
    Usually on Mercedes the torque setting for the road wheel bolts is the same for steel and alloy wheels.

12. Wingnuts

Wingnuts Guest

Thanks for reply, asking because other cars I have owned have had different torques.
    This car is a pain as there is no Haynes for 2005 onward, until I found this forum it was a battle to find out anything.

13. Silver_Star

Silver_Star Senior Member

Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
    Your Mercedes:
    W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
    I guess part of the reason some other cars have different torque settings for steel and alloy is that they use bolts with a collar washer on them. I know this is true for some Renault's.

14. brigbeale

brigbeale New Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000(V) A140
    I found a very useful web page a while ago, but due to my laptop giving out, I lost it.
    I found this one though.
    http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/cctorq.htm

15. AlunG

AlunG Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLK 2001 230
    Not sure what usual price of torque wrenches are but I bought mine today from Aldi for £14.99. Will be using it when I switch from summer to winter wheels. All other gear I've had from Aldi has lasted well & been pretty well made too.

16. syncropaddy

syncropaddy Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    .... too many cars!
    Ashtray on a motorbike, Aldi Torque Wrench, chocolate teapot, tits on a nun ....... all about as useless as each other Im afraid !!

17. AlunG

AlunG Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLK 2001 230
    yep...I've got another for you...about as useless as your Freelander. Thanks for your positivity.

18. syncropaddy

syncropaddy Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    .... too many cars!
    Actually the Freelander 2 is a very useful tool for my line of work and has never let me down or broken anything. It cruises happily all day at motorway speeds, gets 40 to the gallon, is equally as happy plugging its way around an open cast mine or a drill site. In short it does exactly what Land Rover say it can do!

You cant say that about an Aldi Click styleTorque wrench ...... :rolleyes:

Have a look at post number 20 and 21 from this thread

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85891&highlight=torque+wrench&page=2

19. Bxstar

Bxstar New Registration

Your Mercedes:
    SLK 200 2003
    Locking Wheel bolt size

Hey hope you can help, I need to know what type and length of locking bolts for R15 alloys wheels on a SLK 200 2003, currently using hollow head 12mm x 20mm conical/radius bolts and are looking for some locking bolts.:)

20. OP
    television

Your Mercedes: