Wheels missing parts?

lessteaks

Reaction score
Hi all,

Left the car (84 Merc 500SEC) in for a service yesterday. Ask mechanic to check why I was feeling at lot of vibrations when I go over 60 mph.

He told me that the wheels (Lorinzer alloys) do not actually fit the hubs and there should be plastic parts to make them fit but these are missing.

Does anyone know what these plastic parts he's referring to might be? Where might I get them?

Thanks in advance,

Les

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000

popuptoaster

Reaction score
Its not complicated, theres a bit on the hub that sticks out that fits into the hole in the cntre of the wheel, it bears the weight and makes the wheel sit central, the wheel bolts mearly hold the wheel against the hub so they cant slip off the centre.

The plastic insert will be included with wheels that have a larger centre bore than the mercedes hubs, usually because the wheel is designed to fit several models of car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You can see the center flange for the rear in the first pic, and the larger one on the front in the second.

MB wheels have a recess turned in the center that makes the wheels a very tight fit onto the flange on the hub, so much so that the wheels can be hard to take off when corrosion sets in.

Non MB wheels are not a tight fit and only center via the bolts, so there are spacers made to take up the slack in the center and allow the wheel to center correctly .

The metal versions are expensive at £100 but the plastic version are quite cheap. This allows a wheels manufacture to make the same style of wheels for other makes.
The wheel business has changed a lot now and these things are no longer used

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture 697.jpg
    Picture 697.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 15

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Wheel centering

Its not complicated, theres a bit on the hub that sticks out that fits into the hole in the cntre of the wheel, it bears the weight and makes the wheel sit central, the wheel bolts mearly hold the wheel against the hub so they cant slip off the centre.

The plastic insert will be included with wheels that have a larger centre bore than the mercedes hubs, usually because the wheel is designed to fit several models of car.

Hi popuptoaster

So the 'plastic parts' only perform a centering function. Once the wheel is on the hub and wheel nuts tightened these parts are not subjected to any load. I suppose without these parts putting the wheel on could be a bit tricky?

REGARDS

Phil

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom