When should you change your brake pads?

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I noticed the brakes did not feel as good as usual lately and that the although the brake pad warning was not on, the pads only had a couple of thousand miles or so left. The discs also had a large lip on them so I decided to buy new pads and discs.

I've heard of some who claim 40,000 miles from a set of front pads so I was very surprised at the state of mine after only 31,000 miles.

BrakePad.jpg

BPTop.jpg

BPBottom.jpg

Not a pretty sight, but normal brake performance has now been resumed.

Russ

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
difficult to see on those pics, but often when brake pads are in that kind of condition, you can see a gap or "crack" between the metal backing and the friction material of the pad. if this "crack" can be seen, replace the pads. ive seen people try to avoid it and refit them, only for the friction material to break away from the backing and "kick" out of the caliper when the brakes are applied. scary stuff and not recommended!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They are the worst that I have ever seen :confused::shock:

OP
rf065

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are the worst that I have ever seen :confused::shock:

That is partly why I posted the pics, how many of us will wait for the brake warning light before we change them?

It shows that sometimes they need replaced before the warning light comes on & it is worth checking them if they have been on for 3 or more years.

The new discs & pads are now bedded in and working as good as new again.

Russ

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
ive seen chunks missing from the friction material and have the friction material fall off on pads ive removed in the past. peugeots always seemed to be the worst culprits for that!

OP
rf065

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ive seen chunks missing from the friction material and have the friction material fall off on pads ive removed in the past. peugeots always seemed to be the worst culprits for that!

Funny you should say that, last week on a dual carriageway I noticed what looked like half a brake disc in the overtaking lane, sure enough, the other half was 200 yards up the road. :shock:

Russ

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Looks like its been parked in the sea for a few months ..never seen anything as bad..surprised it doesnt need new calipers as well

OP
rf065

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Them pads should be in a museum. They must have been screaming like hell when brakes applied ?

If the pads are as bad as this, the calipers and retaining pins must be in a similar state, if not worse ?

No noise from the brakes at all, retaining pins were still greased & moving freely.
Calipers were grubby looking but no worse than any others I've seen.

Russ

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I have never in the whole of my DIY'ing motoring life seen anything like it.

Do you drive it along the beach as the tide is coming in with you hair blowing in the wind and a 'nubile bird' draped over you..:lol::lol:

jackwall5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C220 Cdi Automatic
I'd well believe it ... I've seen some fine examples in the corners of some idie garages, almost difficult to recognise as old pads!

Glad to hear you have nice performance back in the car.

Safe Driving

OP
rf065

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have never in the whole of my DIY'ing motoring life seen anything like it.

Do you drive it along the beach as the tide is coming in with you hair blowing in the wind and a 'nubile bird' draped over you..:lol::lol:

It's good to know that every time Mercedes charge over £500 for an oil change, I mean B service, and at 3 years old give the car a MOT & free end of warranty health check, you have peace of mind that any problems like this will be highlighted. Money well spent, I don't think.

Russ

LYNALL

Reaction score
I had to fit a new front disc on a truck the other day and the old disc was in the passenger footwell in 4 pieces.

Lynall

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had to fit a new front disc on a truck the other day and the old disc was in the passenger footwell in 4 pieces.

Lynall

Break disc :shock:

joe1972

Reaction score
Blimey, this is scary stuff!:shock:

Must admit, one of the first things I do when I get a car is get the wheels off and checkout the brake condition.
Had a Citroen Xantia that had pads in a poor state, but not quite that bad......the scariest discs I ever had was on an old Maserati Biturbo with discs gone blue and loads of hairline cracks.

nothing quite like yours though.:shock::shock:

Glad to hear everything is ok now though. Always good to hear when someone catches these things just in time

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blimey, this is scary stuff!:shock:

Must admit, one of the first things I do when I get a car is get the wheels off and checkout the brake condition.
Had a Citroen Xantia that had pads in a poor state, but not quite that bad......the scariest discs I ever had was on an old Maserati Biturbo with discs gone blue and loads of hairline cracks.

nothing quite like yours though.:shock::shock:

Glad to hear everything is ok now though. Always good to hear when someone catches these things just in time

That what I used to do to, and it always paid off, the inboard disc on the XJ6's were pigs to change, and what a daft idea

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Yes Malcom,I have changed inboard what a so&so.My cars only do about 2000mls a year, but I still service cars once a year makes life easy no hammering or straining to get things of.

Bigtee

Reaction score
That corrosion is just a anti squeel shim you should have posted the photo of the material from all sides to see if any cracks are visable etc,

Most pads don't have a squeel shim fitted just copper slip the metal back of the pad and fit.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
That what I used to do to, and it always paid off, the inboard disc on the XJ6's were pigs to change, and what a daft idea

And those wonderful rear handbrake pads as well Malcolm, better off chocking the rear wheels with them rather than fitting them !!

Top Bottom