Where does the oil come from that get in the ECU on the SLK?

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
I have a small amount of oil on the plug that comes out the end of the Cam. MB have looked and say it is OK. I have read about these blockers and thought that I would fit one but MB say it is not for my engine, 1999 230SLK but for later models. Any way I understand how the oil travels, but where is it's starting point?
Brian

geezer255

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 311cdi - Shogun Sport
Well Miffy told me the other day its the camshaft position censor on the front of the head, appartently the oil get through the sensor then in the worst cases travels down the loom to the ecu, the blocker goes between the censor and the connector for it...... hope that helps ;), have to say im glad MB told you its not the 230 as that answers a question I needed to ask.......

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
It is definetly the 230k engine that suffers from this, and to be honest I would of thought that around 1999 would be the ones to suffer from it, though if MB have said it is later versions of this engine, that "has" to be gospel, doesn,t it?
I think someone like BlackC55 or SAM-UNIT would need to confirm this 100%.

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
The oil gets past the seal in the cam sensor and into the loom.

As I understand it, the earlier loom has solid connector pins and so the oil cannot seep into the cabling. On the later engines though the pins are hollow and so the oil can get through.

Why MB changed to such a poor design is anyone's guess!

The blocker just re-introduces a hermetic seal at the pins.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes the oil travels along the harness into the ECU and down to the O2 sensors and the MAF,, and that is as bad as it gets, only as said after late 1999, there was no problems with the 111 before that,,a nice little earner for those that fix them,but expensive for the cars owner

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
can confirm that earlier round pin versions are not affected. also please note it is not the camshaft position sensor, but the camshaft position actuator electromagnet - or camshaft magnet as MB call it.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Hi,
yes I think that MB said that it had a 111 engine and it does have round pins on the camshaft magnet,
Brian

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom