Where to get S-class serviced (West Mids)

TVR Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
350 E Cabriolet 2014
Hi,

Bought a 2004 54 S320CDi 2 years ago from Drayton MB in Stourbridge. Last year had it serviced there mainly because I had a few things for them to fix under the 1 year warranty. Will be due for it's annual service in about 4-6 weeks (approx 78k miles). So...

1. Some say you lose value if you don't stick to main dealer servicing - true or false?
2. Are other recognised MB service dealers as good (by and large)?
3. Are they cheaper (I presume that is a yes)?
4. Anyone any experience of one local to Bromsgrove/Stourbridge area (either to recommend or avoid)?

Thanks

Dave

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi,

Bought a 2004 54 S320CDi 2 years ago from Drayton MB in Stourbridge. 4. Anyone any experience of one local to Bromsgrove/Stourbridge area Dave

Hi Dave,

I have used Andy Gayle since 1995. JuThey collect, deliver, use menu pricing (see their website), and clean the car before returning it. Prices are rather cheaper than dealers. They also tend to diagnose the problem before fixing it, which means you should avoid the problem of "parts being replaced until the problem goes away", as can happen elsewhere.

Indeed, Andy is sometimes consulted by dealerships when they can't resolve an unusual problem.

I have certainly entrusted them with my cars during the manufacturer's warranty period.

andrew_gayle@btconnect.com 01215584848 Service manager is Roger.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,

Bought a 2004 54 S320CDi 2 years ago from Drayton MB in Stourbridge. 4. Anyone any experience of one local to Bromsgrove/Stourbridge area Dave

Hi Dave,

I have used Andy Gayle since 1995. Oldbury, near M5 Junction 2. They collect, deliver, use menu pricing (see their website), and clean the car before returning it. Prices are rather cheaper than dealers. They also tend to diagnose the problem before fixing it, which means you should avoid the problem of "parts being replaced until the problem goes away", as can happen elsewhere.

Indeed, Andy is sometimes consulted by dealerships when they can't resolve an unusual problem.

I have certainly entrusted them with my cars during the manufacturer's warranty period.

andrew_gayle@btconnect.com 01215584848 Service manager is Roger.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
A recent survey showed 97% of buyers would rather get a car with FullMBSH. I would never buy an S class without myself. There have been loads of updates and service campaigns, which are done free when you get serviced at an MB dealer.

You can have other jobs done elsewhere such as brakes, exhausts etc, but the basic services are best done at a main dealer IMO. And on average mileage they will only cost you about 2p per mile. Small in the total picture.

Most dealers now offer fixed price A and B services and give significant discounts to older cars.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Sometimes manufacturers issue recalls if a component performs much less well than it should or could affect safety and so on. Obviously, manufacturers try to contact owners to tell them to come in and have the offending item changed. But people move, sell their car, and mail goes astray. So according to What Car thousands of cars drive around with the recalls not done.

Less well known is the fact that car-makers also issue lots of Service notices often called Service Campaigns. These are desirable updates and changes to components that are not deemed to be a major safety issue. These can be software updates to improve performance, or gearbox smoothness and so on, or it can be a quite major item like a redesigned inlet manifold. We need to go to dealers from time to time to check all these mods are made to our cars.

In the US there is a marvellous thread on MB World giving all the US Service campaigns for the S class in the US. Here is the link: -
http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...29#post2295929

See also: -
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...e/ownership/Service_and_maintenance.0008.html

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A recent survey showed 97% of buyers would rather get a car with FullMBSH. I would never buy an S class without myself. There have been loads of updates and service campaigns, which are done free when you get serviced at an MB dealer.

You can have other jobs done elsewhere such as brakes, exhausts etc, but the basic services are best done at a main dealer IMO. And on average mileage they will only cost you about 2p per mile. Small in the total picture.

Most dealers now offer fixed price A and B services and give significant discounts to older cars.

Hi Hawk,

I appreciate the alternative view, but the OP did enquire specifically about Independents in his area.

From your signature block, it would appear that you parted with your 2005 S Class. I still have my 2004 car and it is fault free.

Was there a problem with your car? Was the dealer not able to resolve it?

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Hi Hawk,

I appreciate the alternative view, but the OP did enquire specifically about Independents in his area.

From your signature block, it would appear that you parted with your 2005 S Class. I still have my 2004 car and it is fault free.

Was there a problem with your car? Was the dealer not able to resolve it?

Actually you are wrong on this rare occasion. He specifically asks about both. This is what he said: -
"Bought a 2004 54 S320CDi 2 years ago from Drayton MB in Stourbridge. Last year had it serviced there mainly because I had a few things for them to fix under the 1 year warranty. Will be due for it's annual service in about 4-6 weeks (approx 78k miles). So...

1. Some say you lose value if you don't stick to main dealer servicing - true or false?
2. Are other recognised MB service dealers as good (by and large)?
3. Are they cheaper (I presume that is a yes)?
4. Anyone any experience of one local to Bromsgrove/Stourbridge area (either to recommend or avoid)?"

As for my S class. Loved it and did 24k private miles in it to take it up to 30k miles (bought it secondhand as a demonstrator) But we then needed two cars and so it had to go. I wrote it up at the time.

Top Bottom