Which pully has sheared off

mtdking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-Class 320 cdi saloon 2000
Oh the joys of motoring! I had a pully shear off my E320 cdi 2000 model, the AA said it was the water pump pully there was a lot of water from the car on the road, the garage said it was some other pulley I cant get my flea bay cds to work so I was wondering if some one may be able to help me.
If you look over the front of the engine and then down to the front left as from the front of the car looking back it is the lowest pulley on the left hand side (drivers side) I hope I havent made that to complicated.
Thanks for you assistance

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
I think you already have your answer, if theres water everywhere then it is the water pump!!

Small hands needed to change one of those!!!

And some plasters!

OP
M

mtdking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the fast reply, I really hope it is the water pump, indie garage wern't sure, I know a few plasterers but no one with small hands:lol:

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Its common for the 320,s, as are the other idle pulleys!!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
lowest pulley on LHS (as seen from front), sounds like the overun alternator pulley problem. as sam will know these can self destruct and come completely off, along with the belt. the subsequent lack of water pump will cause overheating and water loss fairly quickly.

water pump failure and water loss is, as said, very common but i have not seen a w/p pulley come clean off yet.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
lowest pulley on LHS (as seen from front), sounds like the overun alternator pulley problem. as sam will know these can self destruct and come completely off, along with the belt. the subsequent lack of water pump will cause overheating and water loss fairly quickly.

water pump failure and water loss is, as said, very common but i have not seen a w/p pulley come clean off yet.

You havent lived yet A/P:D

Seen two rip into the rad!!

Thats not a cheap repair!!

OP
M

mtdking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the info, it was the alternator tension pulley which is water cooled, seems these are hard to get hold of except from the MB stealer, if any one knows of where one can be got cheaper than £450 could you let me know, also there are supposedly 3 or 4 different ones for this model. Thanks again

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
just the pulley can be changed, with your original alternator remaining. but quite often the failing OAP (overrun alternator pulley) destroys the front alternator bearing on its way. have you been told the alternator is definitely damaged, or has this been assumed? could save you £350+...................

OP
M

mtdking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
New alternator etc cost plus labour 600 notes fl!!!!! wbjb!!!!!! I hope nothing else goes wrong or it will bankrupt me as Im having the body work sorted for 720 notes next week, please please give me some of the Merc reliability:lol:

Cnics

Reaction score
Website
www.cnics.co.uk
If the pulley has been failing it CAN do extra damage, you might find the tensioner has problems too. The pulley can however be replaced, though it's a special tool job to undo it. I've known new pulleys for that and the 2.2 engines (are they the same?) be crap from new and had to be re-replaced within a month so make sure its working properly. A bad one tends to knock significantly on tickover but disappears under load. Though they're not all noisy.

Rob

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Quick test is look to see if the fan belt is jumping!!

Dr Buz

Reaction score
Hi,

Ahhh, the alternator overrun pulley...
How I remember the damage that little 'beauty' did to my other car :mad:

Firstly, the tools for removal of the pulley are easily obtained and removing the pulley from the alternator is quite an easy job with the correct tools.

Secondly, the new pulley cost £134 but this was not for a Mercedes. I suspect though that Mercedes will charge around the same.

Thirdly, what happened to me was that the pulley's internals rusted causing it to seize. Neither the main stealership nor the indies knew that the pulley was an overrun pulley though one indie suspected problems with the alternator. I eventually found and corrected the problem once I realised what type of pulley it was and what the problem was. However, that was not before the lack of overrun had caused a lot of forces to be transmitted through the serpentine belt. Result: new belt, new tensioner pulleys (three of them in this case), new water pump, new power steering pump, new air con compressor because all had knackered bearings. Ouch. And very sickening.

Moral of this story: if the alternator pulley is of the overrun type then make sure it damn well works. £134 ain't much compared to £x000s.

Hope this helps someone.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom