Which Tyre - Doing my head in

Pappilo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport
When I could care less about cars a change of tyre meant a 'kwik' visit to the fitters and that was it. I didn't give a damn about speed or load indexes but now I am a bit more into cars, I like to do things by the book for peace of mind and my own safety.

I had done 24,000 miles on the original Bridgestone Potenza tyres that came with my E200 and was planning to change them just before the winter as the thread was getting below 3mm but I got a puncture and thought it made sense to change them all now. I have the staggered set up with:
245/40 R18 97Y on the front and
265/35 R18 97Y on the rear

I was referred to a large and reputable Tyre fitter in Essex by my local Mercedes dealership so I called them up to have all 4 tyres fitted. They didn't have the Bridgestones in stock so they recommended Continentals of the exact manufacturer spec. I went in and had all 4 fitted and went home a happy bunny. I took a look at my invoice later on in the evening and found out that despite assurances and me taking in a printout of the tyres I wanted they had fitted
265/35 R18 97Y MO to the rear and
245/40 R18 Z MO to the front

The rear tyres are fine but I have serious reservations with what was fitted to the front as it has no load rating (I was told by Continental that Z Tyres have no load rating). I think I am right in believing that going with tyres other that the minimum spec recommended by the manufacturer can have an impact on my insurance and even my own safety (more chance of a blowout). I have spoken to the tyre fitters and to continental as well. The tyre fitters reckon it is fine but Continental say it isn't to manufacturer spec (should be a 97Y). I have only driven about 5 miles on the tyres to get back home and I am not happy to drive the car again.

what do you advise should be my next course of action?

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Z without a load rating usually denotes a runflat tyre...I think.

As for not driving the car...I really wouldn't be concerned in the slightest.

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Strange, every tyre has to have a load rating.

Also curious that the tyre carries the "MO" label meaning MB approved..

What Continental tyre variant are they? e.g. ContiSportContact ..

OP
P

Pappilo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Strange, every tyre has to have a load rating.

Also curious that the tyre carries the "MO" label meaning MB approved..

What Continental tyre variant are they? e.g. ContiSportContact ..

Yes they are ContisportContact 3

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I don't think you have anything to be concerned over. ;)

OP
P

Pappilo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tyre fitters tried to fob me off by passing me back to Continental. I refused. Told them to give me something in writing that says they will be held liable if the tyres on my car cause a problem and they are found to be wrong spec. They declined. They have now gone back to Continental who tell them that the Z rated tyre is good for AMG cars but not my tiny 1.8L engine car.

Tyre fitters have now agreed to fit Pirelli Rosso 97Y tyres all round. Result. It is one of those things that would have constantly bugged me. The Z tires had a max load index of 600kgs and the 97Y is 730kgs. I think it was a big enough difference to be worried about especially as I am one to blow the cobwebs at up to 1.3 Leptons sometimes (on a private road of course)

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Q1. Is it a good brand? A. Yes
Q2. Is it worth majorly losing sleep over A. No

Case closed

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
97Y tyres are fine for for a 212 and Y rating is beyond that cars top speed. The tyres will be nice

Indeed...but he's asking about the Z tyres.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
It's been held that the speed rating doesn't matter in the UK (and, for example, winter tyres are often lower speed rating) however the load index is important and I've seen internet stories (so no idea if they're really true) of insurance claims being denied due to the wrong load index tyres fitted.

I strikes me as unlikely that an MO tyre wouldn't be OK though - it could be the original tyres are way over-rated (on load index).

OP
P

Pappilo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's been held that the speed rating doesn't matter in the UK (and, for example, winter tyres are often lower speed rating) however the load index is important and I've seen internet stories (so no idea if they're really true) of insurance claims being denied due to the wrong load index tyres fitted.

I strikes me as unlikely that an MO tyre wouldn't be OK though - it could be the original tyres are way over-rated (on load index).

Exactly. I wasnt too bothered about the speed rating so if it was a 97Z that would have been fine. Z is 149MPH + so its as good as the Y which I think is up to 186MPH. My main concern was going from a tyre rated 730kg to one rated 600kg.

Until one has to buy a tyre, one would not appreciate how vast and confusing tyre types are.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Don't worry your life away over these small tyre anomalies, the main thing is the sizes are correct, everything is fine, unless you plan on transporting bags of gravel in the boot to full capacity at high speed .

Start thinking about your ATF change and make sure you get that right !!!!

Last edited:
OP
P

Pappilo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Went in this morning and I had 4 correct specification Pirelli PZero Rossos fitted.

I must say I am extremely impressed with the way the company dealt with my concerns. I went in 5pm Thursday to have tyres fitted, found out about wrong tyre at 10pm, sent email 1am Friday, got a call at 9am, got another call at noon advising me to come in for new tyres, went in 8am Saturday to have 4 new tyres fitted and was out by 9am.

The problem is usually not because something has gone wrong, it is how the problem is dealt with and I must say this outfit have been very professional in dealing with me and I would definitely use them again

Smacsor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 C250 CDI AMG Sport Plus; 2011 C220 CDI Blueefficiency 125 Edition - SOLD; R230 SL500 - SOLD
"Tyre fitters tried to fob me off by passing me back to Continental. I refused. Told them to give me something in writing that says they will be held liable if the tyres on my car cause a problem and they are found to be wrong spec. They declined."

You seemed less than impressed earlier!!!

KingsleyB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 CL500
It sounds as though the tyres that were fitted the first time are fine however, My major argument would be that if I asked for a specific spec tyre to be fitted then that is what I want. So my primary gripe would be that they didn't fit what I originally asked for and they should take back those tyres that did not match my request and fit what I asked for.

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
It sounds as though the tyres that were fitted the first time are fine however, My major argument would be that if I asked for a specific spec tyre to be fitted then that is what I want. So my primary gripe would be that they didn't fit what I originally asked for and they should take back those tyres that did not match my request and fit what I asked for.
That's the whole point, a specific thing was asked for yet not delivered.
The firm reacted well to the op's satisfaction so much he recommended them without telling us who they are!

Top Bottom