Whining sound from the engine 190E

alanbp

Reaction score
My 190e 1.8 has developed a strange whining at what sounds like the front of the engine. It came on quickly, and it might be coincidence but I noticed it a week after the car was last used in very heavy rain and bad surface flooding. The car was never in really deep water but was driving through very heavy spray and 6" deep pools, at the time it did start to cut out at tickover but after a bit more driving it was OK again. The sound is reminiscent of driving off in first or reverse in an old mini (ie straight cut gears) and is most noticable when accelerating away in first & second from a standing start. Its definitely revs related and rise & falls on using the loud pedal even when at standstill.

I sprayed the belt idler, alternator and power steering pump with spraygrease to see if it would quieten the noise but no luck.

Anyone else had this?

Cheers

Alan

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi Alan this can only be something on the ffront end where you have sprayed.

I use a home made stethoscope by using a large screwdriver and place the blade on all of the running gear components with the handle to my ear,or a piece of pipe. and you can hear the component that is making the noise

Do mind the fan when doing this

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Spraying any type of grease or oil on the belts is not recommended. If you suspect a belt is making a noise try spraying a little water on them whilst the engine is running, this usually quietens them down temporally if they are the source of the noise.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
I suspect the alternator front bearing.
Try touching your ear to a long screwdriver,touching the alternator.
Carefully.

Spraying those components with grease or oil is not recommended.
If you could get lubricant in that way,water and dust would have got in and destroyed them long ago.

Regards,
Nick.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
A small amount of lubricant on the inner and outer of the belt will not harm (belt dressing), this will quieten a noisey belt, and then replace if req. if not remove belt and rotate pulleys by hand.

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor Coupe 2003
I had a similar problem on another vehicle,

not having the benefit of Malcolm's stethoscope at the time I asked the wife to listen, she said "it's that one" and it was - the AC pump

if all else fails to locate take the belt off and (when the engine is NOT running) rotate each pulley by hand to find the squeaky or rumbly one

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
If i,m interpreting your description of the sound correctly i think your viscous fan coupling is the cuprit, with the engine cold the fan should free wheel easily, with the engine warmed up it should be noticably tighter to free wheel, the noise you are hearing is the engine permanatly driving the fan.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Unfortunately this has a magnetic clutch for the fan.

OP
A

alanbp

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips - I can stop the fan with my hand with the engine ticking over and cold, so it doesn't appear to be a case of the fan permanently on.

OP
A

alanbp

Reaction score
Sorry forgot to ask but is the belt easy to removed - I take it you loosen the tensioner and remove the belt?

Cheers

Alan

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Alternator problem is my guess also.

meanie

Reaction score
Spraying any type of grease or oil on the belts is not recommended. If you suspect a belt is making a noise try spraying a little water on them whilst the engine is running, this usually quietens them down temporally if they are the source of the noise.

I use graphite powder or even talcum powder.

OP
A

alanbp

Reaction score
Had the drive belt off this weekend - Ran without the belt and the whine is gone - so obviously one of the "ancillary" pulleys. Spun them all by hand - alternator made a little sound but nothing out of the ordinary - tensioner was OK as was the power steering.

I am pretty convinced the whining is coming from the fan - the noise is greatest from the radiator area - how do I know what kind of fan I have? I notice that there is black wire/contact going into what looks like the back of the fan area does that mean its magnetic clutch?

Are they easy to change - the Haynes mentions a locking pin - although I can hardly see the area refered to in the manual - do I need to take the radiator out for access?

Also are these worth risking second hand?

Cheers

Alan

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
You will have the electromagnetic fan. The Electromagnetic clutch is quite expensive but I doubt its that. It might be the coolant pump itself I suppose which isn't too expensive but involves draining the system toreplace. Removing the radiator does allow much better access to the front of the engine and removes the danger of "spanner"damage. I wonder if you have a broken/imbalanced plastic fan which can be noisy so check that first. Don't buy a second hand water pump.

OP
A

alanbp

Reaction score
Thanks Graeme

I believe if you cross over the two contacts in the thermo switch on the cylinder head the fan clutch activates? That would presumably let me know if the clutch was ok?

Cheers

Alan

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
As the fan doesn't spin unless the clutch is activated,it is less likely to be the cause of this noise.
If its bearing were to be U/S, you will be able to detect noticeable play.
As already suggested,an ear to the end of a long screwdriver against each suspect item will soon make it clear which one is at fault.
As all the suspects are close to the radiator,no surprise that this area is the source of the noise.

The alternator should make no noise when you spin it by hand, when the belt is fitted,there is more pressure on the front bearing ,so it makes more noise.
It remains my best guess,having had the same problem myself.
Cured with a good second hand unit.

Regards,
Nick.

Last edited:
OP
A

alanbp

Reaction score
Found the source of the whine - it is the Auxillary belt tensioner pulley. I have managed to get a Gates ones from my local factor for £34 which is a boost. I am assuming that a bolt runs through the centre of it after removing the plastics outer dust shield?

Anyone done one of these before?

Cheers

Alan

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom