LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Thanks LostKiwi I appreciate that! Two rear tyres and diff all isn’t all that expensive in the wider picture I suppose.

I do intend using it as a daily through the winter until my garage is sorted for next year so I want it fit as a fiddle.
If using over winter make absolutely sure the boot is bone dry with no leaks.
The seals do have a habit of leaking and that can destroy the PSE pump (which is expensive). Check the pump regularly to ensure the foam case it sits in is dry and fix leaks promptly.

OP
Richie Livo

Richie Livo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 350 2006 / GLC220 2018
If using over winter make absolutely sure the boot is bone dry with no leaks.
The seals do have a habit of leaking and that can destroy the PSE pump (which is expensive). Check the pump regularly to ensure the foam case it sits in is dry and fix leaks promptly.

Yes I’ve checked and done leak testing on the boot, all fine and has been repaired/replaced.

But when I have just checked I’ve found that the area behind the passenger seat is damp in the corner ‍♂️

Expensive hobby these SL’s!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Window seal/adjustment? C pillar seal?

OP
Richie Livo

Richie Livo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Window seal/adjustment? C pillar seal?
I’ve checked this morning.. noticed a water drown running down the side door it’s coming from the joint in the roof.. can’t see any issues from outside will have to half open the roof later on

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Try a liberal coating of gummipfledge or vaseline to soften the seals. Often works wonders.

OP
Richie Livo

Richie Livo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Try a liberal coating of gummipfledge or vaseline to soften the seals. Often works wonders.

Literally just coat the seals with Vaseline all over the roof? Can the same be done for the window seals etc?

Mine is 2006 I thought the only leak issues where boot related in those models

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
I'd normally say get someone with a good ear to sit in the back and 'listen', but of course you're 'backseatless' :)! My car was very noisy and winey with the old 75% ish worn out Continentals, changed them all round to Goodyears some time ago (softer rubber I believe and a lower noise / db rating). Been A1 ever since. It's unfortunate yours have plenty of tread left on them! I'd +1 on the advice to change rear diff oil, cheap and very quick job, deffo worth doing instead of that old sludgy bitty oil sloshing round for eternity if you're gonna keep the car for a bit.

OP
Richie Livo

Richie Livo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd normally say get someone with a good ear to sit in the back and 'listen', but of course you're 'backseatless' :)! My car was very noisy and winey with the old 75% ish worn out Continentals, changed them all round to Goodyears some time ago (softer rubber I believe and a lower noise / db rating). Been A1 ever since. It's unfortunate yours have plenty of tread left on them! I'd +1 on the advice to change rear diff oil, cheap and very quick job, deffo worth doing instead of that old sludgy bitty oil sloshing round for eternity if you're gonna keep the car for a bit.

Thanks Harry! I love this site I really do, these older beautiful cars are expensive to maintain if you don’t catch things right!

Yes diff oil is getting booked onto the service when they open at 8am? And I’m going to lather my SL in Vaseline tonight! As it’s getting colder (10degrees this morning) I don’t want any frost getting to my seals!

This car is important to me in other ways! My dad bought it from new in 2006, sadly he passed away and the car went missing for 5 years! I have now tracked it down and it’s never leaving my side! I know how well it was looked after and it looks like owner number 2 didn’t have the same TLC as my father did, I just have to get it back to 5 years ago! Lol. Thanks everyone

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Literally just coat the seals with Vaseline all over the roof? Can the same be done for the window seals etc?
Yes. Around glass areas be more sparing so as not to transfer vaseline all over the glass when the windows go up and down.

Lovely story about your car. Ours is similarly special in that it was Television's who was a very close friend. We bought it from him just before he passed away.

OP
Richie Livo

Richie Livo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes. Around glass areas be more sparing so as not to transfer vaseline all over the glass when the windows go up and down.

Lovely story about your car. Ours is similarly special in that it was Television's who was a very close friend. We bought it from him just before he passed away.

Thanks for the info, hopefully a cheap easy fix!

The first post I read was from television, and I done his boot fix! I bet that car is perfect, even reading other forums people reference television and this forum! He is famous in the forum world! Sounded like a great guy and very knowledgeable!

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
No comment on the lathering in haha but yes, its worth treating the seals periodically! I had an 08 SL for a very short time, 3 months or so in ownership a couple of years ago until sadly it was rear ended by a texting driver! I ended up with the current E after that which has been and continues to be a lovely car. Its nice to find something you think you'll never see again and R230's are very handsome cars. Yes, it is a great source of info this forum with very friendly and knowledgeable people. I've had very few issues with my car (upto now)! but still 'contribute' and put my two penneth in occasionally mainly on the train on the way to work (sadly not in my car with the roof down)!

OP
Richie Livo

Richie Livo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No comment on the lathering in haha but yes, its worth treating the seals periodically! I had an 08 SL for a very short time, 3 months or so in ownership a couple of years ago until sadly it was rear ended by a texting driver! I ended up with the current E after that which has been and continues to be a lovely car. Its nice to find something you think you'll never see again and R230's are very handsome cars. Yes, it is a great source of info this forum with very friendly and knowledgeable people. I've had very few issues with my car (upto now)! but still 'contribute' and put my two penneth in occasionally mainly on the train on the way to work (sadly not in my car with the roof down)!

Texting drivers!!! Argh! I love the Eclass. I have a wife and 2 daughters so we bought a new GLC220 as the family wagon, stunning looking car but doesn’t drive or feel half as nice as the older Mercedes.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks wighty, would you recommend just getting it changed anyway? 13 years old 65k on the clock can’t do any harm can it.
If like me you get a warm fuzzy feeling when fresh oil is in the car , I would get it done , especially for what it costs if the car is on a ramp anyway.
1.1-1.3L is needed , if you use Fuchs oil , it would cost £20-25 ish in oil

OP
Richie Livo

Richie Livo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If like me you get a warm fuzzy feeling when fresh oil is in the car , I would get it done , especially for what it costs if the car is on a ramp anyway.
1.1-1.3L is needed , if you use Fuchs oil , it would cost £20-25 ish in oil

So my local indie has said:

Diff oil change: £80+Vat
Mot and small service: £218
Check tracking: £50

Car pulls ever so slightly left at the moment so want that correcting

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
So my local indie has said:

Diff oil change: £80+Vat
Mot and small service: £218
Check tracking: £50

Car pulls ever so slightly left at the moment so want that correcting
That sounds pretty expensive to me for a diff change ? It wouldn't take me an hour to do on my drive (I've done both my cars 2-3 times over the years) . Maybe leave that job for another garage when you supply the diff oil to them ?
Check out Opie Oils website for prices

OP
Richie Livo

Richie Livo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That sounds pretty expensive to me for a diff change ? It wouldn't take me an hour to do on my drive (I've done both my cars 2-3 times over the years) . Maybe leave that job for another garage when you supply the diff oil to them ?
Check out Opie Oils website for prices

Ahh right ok, for me it seems pretty cheap with regards to the car etc.. then then again it’s almost the same as the service!

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom