Who else daily's their AMG

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
At risk of falling foul of the AMG Police, I daily my C43 but it's not really a "proper" AMG...such a good car though :)
Here's a thing I have been wondering about....what defines a "proper" AMG?
Is it a specific thing or is it open to personal interpretation?
I used to think that 4 cyliner engines were not proper AMG...but then the most powerful 4 cylinder production engine in the world came along and I had to have a rethink. :oops:
I also thought the engine had to be hand built by one man, but that excludes the 3.0 V6 and inline 6 engines which i would previously have regarded as proper AMG. :confused:
I'm just gonna stick with everthing with the exception of an A35 is a proper AMG. :p
I passed a C43 Coupe in a traffic queue this afternoon and it was lovely. :cool:

P.S. While researching this i found out that AMG was founded in the year of my birth. :geek:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
If the engine has a plaque with the engine builders name, it is a "proper" AMG I believe.
Doesn't matter whether its a 4,6,8 or 12 pot.

Mercedes sell a lot of cars with an AMG badge on the boot. Doesn't make them a proper AMG in my book. Too many "AMG line" cars running around that owners truly believe are the real thing. They aren't.

Steps down from high horse :D

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I also thought the engine had to be hand built by one man,
They're not “hand built” but “hand assembled”. The parts are all manufactured in the normal way it’s just that the volumes involved aren't worth the investment in automated assembly so it’s still done the old fashioned way with all the potential for human error, etc!

(Dons hard hat and takes cover.... :oops:)

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the engine has a plaque with the engine builders name, it is a "proper" AMG I believe.
Doesn't matter whether its a 4,6,8 or 12 pot.

Mercedes sell a lot of cars with an AMG badge on the boot. Doesn't make them a proper AMG in my book. Too many "AMG line" cars running around that owners truly believe are the real thing. They aren't.
Yep its like Ford's ST Line or VW's R Line etc. - it's a pale imitation produced to make owners feel good about their cars.
Regarding the signature of a hand buit by one man engine...from what I have read the M276 and newer M256 6 cylinder engines do not have this. These are 43 and 53 models which I would absolutely have regarded as proper AMG. :confused:

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
You say tomayto, I say tomahto. :D
I was just trying to counter this image of an AMG craftsman making the engine from scratch. He/she doesn’t, they just put the bits together.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was just trying to counter this image of an AMG craftsman making the engine from scratch. He/she doesn’t, they just put the bits together.
I completely understood what you meant. :)

MartynE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63s
My C63s is my daily when I'm not working offshore, I'm averaging around 20 mpg I never bought it to see how many miles I could get per gallon I bought it to use when ever I want, I've covered 7k miles in nearly a year, and loved every mile.......would I be able to tell you how much money I've put in the petrol tank? Not a chance :)

SquabzZz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 W205
At risk of falling foul of the AMG Police, I daily my C43 but it's not really a "proper" AMG...such a good car though :)
If Mercedes give a car a AMG title then it’s a AMG simple

changchewsoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2021 AMG CLA45 S
I daily drive my CLA45 and it is pretty comfy getting from point A to point B, with some drama in between if you decide to.

But the tire noise getting into the cabin could get into you sometimes, hence turning up the stereo helps.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom