who has their winter tyres on?

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Coupe AMG, E320 CDI (S211), Aprilia RSVR
Just had my Pirelli Sottozeros fitted to the S211, don't plan on abandoning the car roadside at the first sight of the whitestuff again.

The ride is OK, the noise is much worse but an acceptable trade off if they help me finish my journey this winter.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Just had my Pirelli Sottozeros fitted to the S211, don't plan on abandoning the car roadside at the first sight of the whitestuff again.

The ride is OK, the noise is much worse but an acceptable trade off if they help me finish my journey this winter.

Do you mind me asking what your summer fitment is Alan? Curious because I really haven't noticed any discernible difference in noise with the Avons over the summer Conti on 17s.

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Coupe AMG, E320 CDI (S211), Aprilia RSVR
I'm running Continental Sport Contact 5, they are very quiet and give a very plush ride. Put them on about 18 months ago after a nasty episode of wheel alignment torn the inner wall out of my fronts.

I really like the balance between comfort, noise and feel, previously ran some Kuhmo's, they were very grippy but the noise was very intrusive.

These Pirelli Sotozeros make my E Class sound like a Landrover zinging down the road..... I like the sound, it's hypnotic. :D

Do you mind me asking what your summer fitment is Alan? Curious because I really haven't noticed any discernible difference in noise with the Avons over the summer Conti on 17s.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Spent many happy hours getting hypnotised by Land Rovers on mud pattern tyres!

I nearly got some Sottozeroes this year... Glad I didn't now! :)

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
On a front wheel drive car/van would you only fit winter tyres on the front?

I have spent a lot of time in the French Alps over the last 25 years and, although we now have winter tyres fitted all round on the W203 and R170, I always used to run a pair of winter tyres on the front of various VW Passats. Very rarely had to use chains and no serious incidents other than when a German in a MB forced me to put a wheel off the ploughed surface into a snow covered drainage ditch. Luckily a passing snow plough pulled me out.

A lot of the locals seem to adopt this approach on their front wheel drive cars.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
You should always fit them on the rear, regardless of RWD, AWD or FWD.

You do not want the back end coming round when you brake.

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1

I though my winter tyres were pretty quiet until I went to France last weekend - I've no idea why but they're much louder on French autoroutes. What's all that about then?

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
I've always found their roads quieter too, no difference running mine on summer or winter tyres...

Oh and my hankook winters refitted today over my lunchtime, need to check the pressures from last year but all ready for the white stuff!!!!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My Land Rover passed it's MOT today so that's now ready to tow out all the non believers

sasha320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63
My ML63 has been wearing Vredestein Nextreme's all year round since November last year. Although there is plenty of legal tread left after 13,000 miles, I do need to see how many mm's are left and whether there is at least 4mm so they continue to qualify as winter tyres when I go to the Alps in January and March 2014. If I hit April 2014 with 1.6mm (legal minimum) then I'll be very happy indeed!

OP_Merc

<span style="color: red;">Authorised Forum Support
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-Class
Still waiting for the Merc to be delivered but have just had the winter tyres put onto the Mondeo by Kwik-Fit Ashby de la Zouch.

Thought it didn't feel quite right the 1st time I drove it, turns out they have put 26psi all round rather than 35front and 32back.... Words fail me when I try to fathom the level of their incompetence!!!!

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
Still waiting for the Merc to be delivered but have just had the winter tyres put onto the Mondeo by Kwik-Fit Ashby de la Zouch.

Thought it didn't feel quite right the 1st time I drove it, turns out they have put 26psi all round rather than 35front and 32back.... Words fail me when I try to fathom the level of their incompetence!!!!

well, it was a kwikfit

hondansxr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl500
took out an audi a4 on summer tyres today for a customer WOW had to slow down car felt as tho it was on marbles .. temp was 3 deg and wet ...:rolleyes:

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Can report that the Avons do break traction a little more readily as temp rises - 11 deg coming back this eve, and a blip on the throttle, uphill off a roundabout gave a flash of the TC light and a (very) brief shimmy of the ar5e-end.

Didn't experience that with the Nokians.

Last edited:

6cyl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI
Mine are on - put them on last weekend, then the day time temp started rising....
Got Vredestein Wintrac Extremes 205/50 HR17 on 7x17 rims.
Wife was remarking the TC light flashes!

Annoyingly 16" rims don't clear the caliper, otherwise I'd gone for 16".

Will put them on the quattro too this weekend.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

As they say there's no one thicker than a Kwick fit fitter...

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom