Who should display the AMG emblem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Hello fellas, i felt like sharing this one with you guys. I have been lurking around MBworld.org for a while now and there is this incessant thread that has been going on for close to 5 years now and this topic is about who should display the AMG rear boot emblem on their vehicles. Now this is what i call sisyphean effort. Toss-up arguments and no one will win the debate because there are loads of subjective views to back up people’s stand point.

Some forum members devised a strategy to capture the images of any Mercedes vehicle that is not supposed to display the AMG boot rear emblem badge and expose them on the forum so that genuine AMG owners could have their fair share of laughter. In my opinion, capturing the image of any vehicle without the consent of its driver could lead to some sort of altercation and that could be malefic.

Now i believe that such a thread in a UK forum would have a transient moment because when things get out of hand like it did on this MBworld.org forum, some non-AMG owners used incendiary words like prejudice, hate and so on to strike at AMG owners with diatribes. I was in a state of awe, consternation at how things took a downturn as the main subject bifurcated. Some forum members saying how they saw an Asian lady with flat buttocks at the petrol station filling-up her SL350 AMG and how they wanted to ask her if her SL350 AMG was a special wack series model. Some said how they saw some ghetto gangstas leaning back, smoking blunts, listening to rap music, windows down with CLS 650 black series slapped with an AMG badge and insipid 22’s wheels on it. Could this prejudicial statements be targeting a certain race? I would leave that to you guys to determine.

Some trolls who came on as well to participate were known to have brought a reputation of petulance, inflammatory and extraneous messages. For me this egregious act to violate people’s intimacy for the sake of fishing out fake AMG posers is really callous. Now, in the UK forum moderators will intervene with immediate alacrity either to bring to a halt the existence of the thread. But for some reasons, this thread on MBworld.org pushed on even when people feared the worst. For the fun of it, it was really boisterous and I laughed so hard.

The AMG car owners adopted this slogan "NO ENGINE NO BADGE". The argument behind it is that anyone without an AMG engine who displays AMG badge and thus gets beaten in a drag race, will not only demean the exclusivity of the AMG brand but will also indirectly help perpetuate across AUDI, BMW, FORD, TOYOTA & VW forums of how a base model sports car of any of the brands above gave an AMG car a true run for its money.

Some argued that they have every right to have an AMG badge on their vehicles based on the fact that they purchased a car with an AMG sports package ie AMG alloy wheels, AMG front/rear bumpers, AMG side skirts, AMG steering wheel & AMG floor-mats. Now from the stand point of a mediator, neither of them is wrong. Another valuable argument was put forth by a member who argued that his SL500 was purchased directly from Mercedes with an AMG badge on it. Now who is to blame for the AMG badge wrongly displayed on a non-AMG car? Mercedes or the individual? AMG owners are saying blame it on the individual. Some said blame it on Mercedes who has deliberately put the badge for the sole reason that the vehicle came fitted with AMG products.

But one thing is sacrosanct, every culture has a way of doing things. In America, some people would proudly flaunt their AMG bagdes to show who has got the biggest (not generalising here) while in certain European countries, debadging high performance cars is the norm because people fear constantly for their lives should they display luxury badges which in turn could make them the hunted individuals.

Personally, would i put an AMG boot rear emblem on my n/a car? NO! Why, because i don't deem it right to have it since my engine is not hand-built with a signature to back it up. Would i at some point buy AMG accessories to enhance the look of my car? YES! AMG accessories will help to accentuate the look of a already beautiful car and the rule of thumb is that it could be done, but in no way does AMG accessories equate to Performance. At the same time, I understand those who stick the badge up there purely on the fact that the vehicle was purchased with AMG packages.

Now the question is, who should legitimately display the AMG badge on their vehicles? Both the owners with the AMG engines and AMG sports package accoutrements or only AMG engine owners. I would like to sound your thoughts and opinions on this fellas. Thanks for reading and contributing. :)

JeremyTucker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/S430
Anybody who wants to, i couldnt care less how other people wish to style their property. Thats my viewpoint anyway.

eihtur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C180k 3door
Swallowed Roget's by any chance?

Still Learning

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2007 gone. Porsche Boxster 2011
I think of the people I've met through life. I regard some as possessors of integrity, intelligence, reason, and depth. Others of course are just shouty and shallow.
Those in the former category are more likely to agree with 'no AMG engine = no badge'.
Those in the latter category are more likely to do everything possible to achieve 'ooooh, look at me' status.

Different cultures are focussed on the two schools of thought. I agree with what you eluded to.

For me, somehow it is a more serious offence to badge a non-AMG Mercedes as an AMG, than it is to do so with an 'M' or 'RS' badge.
Mercedes cars tend to be favoured by the quiet professional type, or like me, those who don't mind being recognised by 'those only in the know'. I like achieving things that the masses wouldn't understand.

'Those in the know' of course, will instantly recognise a non-AMG, and make their judgement of the owner. I do.

Perhaps such owners are happy to appeal to the masses who have no idea what an AMG is, but just perceive it as expensive. Personally, I think that is just a bit sad.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
The badge (or lack of it) is of zero significance or consequence (unless someone tries to exact a premium by trying to pass off an "AMG" that isn't) - it's what's underneath that matters

Those that get heated about are clearly suffering from one or a combination of complexes and I for one don't think the subject merits any discussion

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
sisyphean...altercation...malefic...transient moment....incendiary words...diatribes...bifurcated....insipid 22’s...reputation of petulance,...extraneous...egregious act...intimacy...immediate alacrity...demean the exclusivity of the AMG brand...perpetuate...sacrosanct...sports package accoutrements.

What. The. Actual. F-ck.
:confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am going to change my name to Angus McGregor and stick them all over my car

Charlie R6VED

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Will be buying a CLS 500
I read your post and I have to say learnt a few new words in the process which is always nice, bifurcation probably being my favourite of the lot.

I have always debadged my cars as I prefer the look and think that the many BMW owners who add a M badge to a 318 are muppets. I suppose if your car has AMG parts then it could be argued that there is justification to add one, but personally I would take one off rather than add it.

floccinaucinihilipilification just thought I would throw in a random long word to make you feel at home :)

Charlie

SSR S500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2002/V8
Each to their own regarding AMG badges. In my opinion AMG badges should only be on AMG engined cars. Then again I couldn't care less if my car was badged or not as I know whats under the bonnet. I certainly wouldn't want to badge it to make it look as though it something that its not

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
What. The. Actual. F-ck.
:confused:

Whilst Mcobinad's use of a wide vocabulary is unusual, I would hope most native English speakers would know the meaning of virtually all of those words, with just a bit of recondite Greek classical knowledge needed for "sisyphean". I fear the modern generation are losing the command of the language by restricting themselves to a narrow lexicon.

Badges? Meh, whatever. Lol.

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
Whilst Mcobinad's use of a wide vocabulary is unusual, I would hope most native English speakers would know the meaning of virtually all of those words, with just a bit of recondite Greek classical knowledge needed for "sisyphean". I fear the modern generation are losing the command of the language by restricting themselves to a narrow lexicon.

I do; I have O level Latin and studied Greek at school til I was 13 for what that is worth 30 years later.

However the original post is what I would best describe as "flowery", although I am very impressed with the newly found "insipid 22's" and (best ever) "smoking a blunt" :cool:

Have a ;)

eihtur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C180k 3door
I do; I have O level Latin and studied Greek at school til I was 13 for what that is worth 30 years later.

However the original post is what I would best describe as "flowery", although I am very impressed with the newly found "insipid 22's" and (best ever) "smoking a blunt" :cool:

Have a ;)

Though the apostrophe in "22's" is incorrect and the use of the lower case letter "i" is also incorrect.

Matt_EClass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 2005 E55K & 2015 ML350
Blimey that message from the OP was a bit wordy! For me, its simple no AMG engine = No AMG badge!!

My fathers wife has a C220 cdi, only 2 years old, got AMG trinkets on it, wheels, mats other ****e, got AMG badges all over it, came like it direct from Mercedes! Sacrilege!!!!

Begs the question though, if I shoehorn the AMG lump out of the E63 into my oilburner W210.....can I put an AMG badge on the back of it?

Im kidding......no wordy responses please Mcobinad!

eihtur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C180k 3door
Aren't all engines (not just AMG) hand built to some extent? I doubt the block in an AMG is actually cast by hand. What am I missing?

Ruthlessgk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Brabus G-Wagen or CL600
Personally if its not got a proper engine under the bonnet it shouldnt have an AMG badge on the boot but n the other hand me personally if i had an AMG i would put a CDI badge on the back lmao.
Zaff

d w124

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S124 E320 W124
AMG badge on mercedes isn`t what you should worry about LOL

046.jpg

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I wouldnt have an AMG bade on anything without an AMG engine, but you cant tell other people not to. If a 17-year-old buys a c180 and wants to stick an AMG badge on the back so it 'looks better' to his mates, there is no harm, but any keen Merc owners will spot things like that, or 'S430 AMG' that I saw the other day, but what does it really matter, we all know its not a real AMG, but it doesnt make you better than that person just because you 'know'. Each to their own

Status
Not open for further replies.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom