Why are Diesel MB's cheaper than Petrol

John77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Estate 2011, 2009 SLK 200
I am looking for a second hand EClass estate and the difference in price of a deisel car than a petrol version is quite a bit. Why is this?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The world has turned against diesel, and there were also a lot less petrols sold so rarity is a factor.
Petrols tend to have lower mileage and can have more toys as they’re not always bought by the budget conscious when new.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
If you're not bothered about the spread of ULEZ etc zones (as I am) buy on condition, history, mileage and your budget. I have no intention of ever driving into the London ULEZ zone (the closest such thing to me) although my SLK complies. The closest I need to go is the LEZ zone - and only because my wife has a hospital appointment in Sidcup. My S204 is LEZ compliant, if they change the rules I'll either use the SLK or tell the NHS to re-arrange the appointment to a hospital I can drive to!

FYI both cars are 2008 - the S204 a 220CDI EU4, the SLK a petrol V6 280 facelift R171. Trading in both would not release enough for just about any hybrid or EV - not that I think EV is the long term solution - so changing our cars is not economically viable!

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
If you're not bothered about the spread of ULEZ etc zones (as I am) buy on condition, history, mileage and your budget. I have no intention of ever driving into the London ULEZ zone (the closest such thing to me) although my SLK complies. The closest I need to go is the LEZ zone - and only because my wife has a hospital appointment in Sidcup. My S204 is LEZ compliant, if they change the rules I'll either use the SLK or tell the NHS to re-arrange the appointment to a hospital I can drive to!
Khan wants to extend it to the M25 now *shock*. If/when it happens my strategy is to find a W123 or early W126 (40 yo car avoids ULEZ under historic rule). Continue using my diseasel as usual as I live just outside the M25. No RFL either so there wouldn’t even be the expense of taxing two cars.

They will of course keep moving the goalposts but I would bet a ‘historic’ is viable for longer than a EU4 petrol.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Why are diesel MBs cheaper than petrol?

The list grows unfortunately:

- petrol cars are/have been made in lower numbers over the last 20 years so there is a shortage of supply
- diesel although promoted by politicians due to lower CO2 emissions emits copious amounts of nitrogen dioxide which is bad for public health hence the change to urea injection or EU6
- EU6 regulations designed into cars to mitigate the NOX issue (ADBLUE - urea injection) are too complex and can/will lead to expensive repairs
- < EU5 diesels although fitted with less emission control don’t meet ULEZ requirements

I’m currently running a EU5 E350cdi estate which will be my last diesel car which says it all really

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Of course... remember when diesel was really cheap cf to petrol moons ago. Then diesel became the in fuel and its price magically went up. Same will eventually happen with EV, only benefits now are to get people change, once enough are on EV them they will pay.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Of course... remember when diesel was really cheap cf to petrol moons ago. Then diesel became the in fuel and its price magically went up. Same will eventually happen with EV, only benefits now are to get people change, once enough are on EV them they will pay.
Funnily enough the cost of diesel being higher than petrol only really happened in the UK. Here in France diesel is cheaper per litre than petrol.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Funnily enough the cost of diesel being higher than petrol only really happened in the UK. Here in France diesel is cheaper per litre than petrol.
Purely down to the majority of company cars being diesel at the time. Government realised they were losing out in revenue…:eek:
Just wait until the majority are in EV’s….:oops:

Rockron

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
709D/1990/OM364
Diesel cheaper than petrol has generally been the case in most European countries. I've always believed this was because
most commercial vehicles were diesel powered, and it followed that government taxed diesel fuel at a lower rate than
petrol as an economy encouragement measure. The French public went for more L/100km and a reduced price, (2CV excepted!)
and particularly in the dire times after the War it made French practical sense. I don't think any French government has had the
nerve or cojones to change things. Vive la Gilets Jaune :)

Petrol historically cheaper than diesel in the UK ? Could be Rudolf was German, just saying:). Born in Paris though.

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom