Why autos are quicker than manuals

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I've had autos for 30 years or so ... I can never see the attraction of 3 pedals, especially in stop start traffic. 2 feet ... 2 pedals ;)
Exactly. I’m pretty shocked tbh that manufacturers today would fit a manual to a car with adaptive cruise, or cruise of any description really.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Don't think I could go manual on my daily drive. That said modern autos are getting over complex I do a fair few auto trans and manuals are easier to fix, understand. As with all today its the b electronics that cause the most issues.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
The one i had was a Singer Vogue .The car itself was imaculate ,low miles .may be thats why because the auto box was the problem . The autobox was electric made by Smiths .And the car we called - herr clonk we called it that because at the slightest sign of any hill , no mater how large, or small ..The bigger the hill the more herr-clonk herrr clonk we got .I even took it to the specalist garage in Digbeth B/Ham, and it was no better after the visit, so not long after, it soon went from my ownership .

Rockron

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
709D/1990/OM364
I well recall the sales brochure specs. on yesteryear cars '65 to say '85, virtually always had the
manual version 0-60mph times down as quicker than the auto. 0 - 50mph was quoted at times,
0 - 60 being only a phantasy on some !
No doubt with todays auto boxes being far better in everyway, can generally match or
beat the manual versions even if they, in turn, have become slicker than the slush boxes of ye olden dayes.
Human brain/hand coordination speed, of course remaining unchanged.
I don't think many manufacturers even quote acceleration times these days, not thought PC, or
being antisocial, irresponsible.......etc. Just leave it to the petrolhead mags.

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2021 213 E300e estate 216Cdi Sprinter (stretched limo)
I guess it is all about choice but why is a manual gearbox a better option?

I was amazed when I found out that trucks now have automatic gearboxes with advanced technology to cope with all situations.

What are the benefits of a manual gearbox? Can automatics be put into a gear and remain in it if a driver so wishes?

When we go all-electric, will that see the end of the manual gearbox?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I guess it is all about choice but why is a manual gearbox a better option?
Depends what you consider as being better ;)
I was amazed when I found out that trucks now have automatic gearboxes with advanced technology to cope with all situations.
EmilysMum used to work for the local council on waste management, All the bin wagons were autos because the manuals used to go through clutches every 5 mins due to the stop/stop nature of collecting bins, so using autos was the much cheaper option in the long run.

What are the benefits of a manual?
You can be control!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Can automatics be put into a gear and remain in it if a driver so wishes?
I have a manual option on mine (part of the off road pack I think) but it'll still go back to 1st if you come to a stop - I've only pressed it a couple of times in the last couple of years ;)
When we go all-electric, will that see the end of the manual gearbox?
Apparently there has been a big shift in the amount of people that have an AUTO only licence, partly because people are learning in EVs

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Go and look at track cars, how many manuals can you find,, none . If people go about building a fast car ..they dont instal an Automatic gear box . .

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Go and look at track cars, how many manuals can you find,, none . If people go about building a fast car ..they dont instal an Automatic gear box . .
If they don't use manuals or autos what are they using?
Normally a sequential which is an auto/manual hybrid I guess.
I don't know how far back you need to go but even my 20 year old 203 has a 'sequential' mode.

Last edited:

Rockron

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
709D/1990/OM364
If they don't use manuals or autos what are they using?
Normally a sequential which is an auto/manual hybrid I guess.
I don't know how far back you need to go but even my 20 year old 203 has a 'sequential' mode.
Third option, they should go for the Variomatic Transmission off a Daff 33? An Automatic which could go as fast in
reverse as avante. Rubber bands really can work:)

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Third option, they should go for the Variomatic Transmission off a Daff 33? An Automatic which could go as fast in
reverse as avante. Rubber bands really can work:)
Ha! I remember them, one of my aunties had a Daf variomatic....running joke was that her name was Daphney!! ...Daf in a Daf! :)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
many cars (like the marina or crapri) would have been on a borg warner 25 through to 66

a horrible three speed box with a really long first gear, it dropped 0 to 60 by 2 seconds over a manual and increased fuel consumption by more than 25% (I think the later the number the later / more torque it could almost cope with). A Jag 4.2 was using the BW66 by the 1980's - and if I'm in the right place the BW35 had a rear pump and could thus be bump started, which the BW65 and 66 certainly couldn't !)

by 1990's we saw 4 speed boxes with a half witted computer managing how and when to change and a lock up clutch taking the best possible efficiency of a TC auto from 98% to 100% in third and forth

then we took a leap in to the modern world when ZF brought out a 6 speed auto just about worth having, and by 2011 they moved it to an 8 speed with the sat nav telling it not to bother with 40% of the changes... The 8 speed is so strong its in nearly all BMWs and all the fast ones as the manual boxes can't cope with the torque

if you want to play with a big V8s everyone sensible used the GM400, Jag V12s / RR all shadow 2s the spirit/spur, plus almost every GM V8 with an auto

Last edited:

Rockron

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
709D/1990/OM364
Ha! I remember them, one of my aunties had a Daf variomatic....running joke was that her name was Daphney!! ...Daf in a Daf! :)
Nevertheless an interesting engineering concept, worthy of a quick Google Search and read.
I was reminded (unfortunately) that a variation/adaption of the Variomatic was used in some Fiesta models.
I think twist and go auto scooters are mostly based on the couple of pulleys and a
a drive belt principle of gearing. Auntie Daphney was probably quite forward thinking and a tad
daring for her day;)
Assuming she owned the beast when it was current of course.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Nevertheless an interesting engineering concept, worthy of a quick Google Search and read.
I was reminded (unfortunately) that a variation/adaption of the Variomatic was used in some Fiesta models.
I think twist and go auto scooters are mostly based on the couple of pulleys and a
a drive belt principle of gearing. Auntie Daphney was probably quite forward thinking and a tad
daring for her day;)
Assuming she owned the beast when it was current of course.
Yes she did, owned it from new, she loved it , my Dad, her brother really wound her up about it , but it was very reliable and simple car and she got her own back when his cars broke down! Ha!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Exactly. I’m pretty shocked tbh that manufacturers today would fit a manual to a car with adaptive cruise, or cruise of any description really.
same as any manual with cruise, dip the clutch and its no different to disengaging cruise via the steering wheel switch (calm, smooth transition) guy at work had adaptive on his manual VW Golf, you can change up or down a manual box and so long as conditions are safe it re-enables itself

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
same as any manual with cruise, dip the clutch and its no different to disengaging cruise via the steering wheel switch (calm, smooth transition) guy at work had adaptive on his manual VW Golf, you can change up or down a manual box and so long as conditions are safe it re-enables itself
Cruise on my bike disengages on a downshift but maintains speed on the up-shift (all clutch-less...)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
CVT is more or less what daff used - a horrible gutless dronning mess - the very same rubbish loved by all toyota and honda hybrids for nearly 20 years

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I wonder quite how may Lexus sales fell to jag, bm or merc, just because the Japanese can't get their head around using a proper gearbox and suspension that works like it does on an alpina..... >50% (could be more !!!!)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom