Why have a SLK when you can have a SL?

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I have no experience of the SLK or the SL, however we did have a Porsche Boxster for a while and I have to say it was amazing :D

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
This is an extract from my ''Diary of an SL''

Total Running Costs to 31 March 2012 (73323)

In today’s buying power of the GBP I calculate that each and every mile (including RFL, insurance and fuel at an average of 21.08mpg) that I have driven the car, all leisure and pleasure, it has cost me £1.39 of which £0.89 is attributable to depreciation.
In order to maximize the dilution of the cost of the depreciation I need to keep the car indefinitely….. which was always my intention.
At the present rate of usage the car will have done 400000 miles by the time I am 100yrs. of age so it is now a straight competition between me and my car as to which one of us first reaches the point of being beyond economic repair.

In terms of what it delivers this car is cheap to run (cheap being a relative term when considering the cost of running a motor car)……it is beautiful, it is a roadster, it is a coupe, it is fun to drive, it is comfortable, it is a Grand Tourer second none and the M113 engine is expected to be indestructible……what is not to love about it.

This is a carefully chosen assessment based entirely on my personal experience over the first 8.5 years of ownership.....now over 9 yrs. of ownership and my view remains unchanged.

I cannot comment on the ownership experience of an SLK......nor an MX5 for that matter !!!***???

Mic

geoffd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
56 plate SL 350 (sold)
That's interesting. An MX5 better than a SLK??? You jest of course?

Absolutely not !

I bought my SLK because I wanted a two seater drop top, but without the disadvantages of a rag top - and at the time it was the only game in town. Don't get me wrong, I loved every minute of owning it...

But now the MX5 does everything the SLK did, but better. It's still a tin top, it handles better, it's cheaper to own and run, it's more reliable...what more could you want ?

All Mazda need to do now is build a bigger MX5, with a spec comparable to an SL, maybe even with a rotary engine, at half the price of an SL with ten times the reliability and they'll have me as a customer for life. And a lot of others too !

Well I can dream can't I ?

Geoff

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Even though it has a cute fold away roof now, I'd still have my 230 auto SLK any day of the week. I had 2 MG's, the MGF and MG TF which are said to be similar rides to the MX5. The MGF was OK, the TF was horrible. Not driven a MX5 but imagine them to be the same.

My (albeit 11 yr old) SLK drives beautifully :D

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
MX would be my choice for a roadster outside the SL ....possibly selected instead of the SLK ...it's more fun I think....

I use the SL as my DD but only drive 3/4 days a week ....

So where is this router you haven't setup yet?

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Cabrio (A124) - 1994
In answer to the original question. You would have an SLK over an older SL in the hope it wouldn't bankrupt you!

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
The 350 has "normal" suspension so non of the ABC worries

Is it not an M272 engine so could suffer from balancer shaft issues? I don't know, just asking.

I've been in TVs old SL. They really are lovely but the repairs can be very expensive.

An SLK won't be as nice but maybe more agile and hopefully less expensive to keep.

C

creepy coupe

My Missus has owned an R170, R171 and now an R172. She also had an MX5 and trust me, after the Honeymoon period of the MX5. You really start to notice how Japanese they are. The last time I saw tackier materials, it was inside a chocolate box.She had it for about a month.

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current SL400 2016 R231 Previously owned SL500 2005 R230
Hello Geoff, nice to see you dropping in! Winter wheels on now and she's ready for her journey to the Christmas meet tomorrow. :)

I have now had my SL for over 6 months and use it as my daily driver. However, I use the OH's car as well for some journeys; carrying family or needing boot space etc, so the mileage is spread between the two cars. He then uses the SL for the journey to the station car park - it's amazing what prestigious company she can keep there! All's well so far (touch wood) but I did take an extended warranty so I actually have four years worth of cover for most of the problems that could arise.

Had a brief look at an SLK, but couldn't resist the SL, it's just a proper grown up car!

geoffd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
56 plate SL 350 (sold)
Hornet's nest ?

Nice to see someone appreciates me ! Thanks Debbie.

I can live with being in a minority of one too. I can even risk further wrath by saying I've had some very good Japanese cars - some of them very well equipped flying machines. And only one I disliked - an Almera.

And lets not forget if it wasn't for the Japanese manufacturers expanding the standard equipment lists and warranties, we wouldn't have the quality of European cars we have today.

Geoff

Still Learning

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2007 gone. Porsche Boxster 2011
But there are earlier 350 petrols than that, they go back to 2004 iirc. We're they M272s though?

The earlier models use the M112 3.7 V6 engine. I know less about this one but I understand it did not have issues with the balancer shaft drive system.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
M112 engines are tough and without air suspension it would be my SL of choice.

Speaking as an SL owner, mine has hydraulic suspension. Is there one with air suspension ??

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
As far as MPG is concerned at times an SL can seem more like GPM .. :D

8232266795_baea7f873d_b.jpg

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
A local dealer has 3 SL's for sale. An 06 SL500 for £21,795 (37 k miles), An 04 SL350 for £13,850 (69k miles), and strangely an X reg SL320 for £14,495 ( 47k miles).
Are the older SL's collectables now, hence the price? :shock:

Just like to add that the above cars are not at a MB dealership. Just thought it was unusual for 3 SL's to be on one forecourt.

Last edited:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Prices for 230s vary according to condition, history, provenance. They are a very desirable car, but then I'm biased !:D

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom