Why I won't be buying a new car anytime soon

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
I am currently driving a W212 220d saloon registered in October 2014. It has covered 78000 miles, 95% of which I have driven having owned it from new, and it has a full MB service history.

With one exception with glow plugs which was fixed under warranty it has been faultless. It averages 43 MPG and costs £30 a year to tax.

I am told it has lost 75% of its value and would only be worth £10k as a trade-in. If I hold onto it for another two years it is surely still likely to be worth £7k - £8k.

Everyone and his brother in the motoring media tells me I want an electric car next time, or at the very least a plug-in hybrid.

The problem with that is Mercedes and their direct competitors make very few pure electric cars (let alone with a decent range) unless of course I had £60k - £70k to spend on an EQC or IPace. One possible option I suppose is the E300de, the plug-in diesel hybrid, where I would need to put £40k on top to change, but it still has diesel in the title so who knows how the government will change the rules in future to get such cars off the road. Other "suitable" cars seem to be two or three years away from the showroom.

Oh, and any replacement would now cost £440 a year to tax for five years.

And they wonder why people are not rushing to buy new cars currently...

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I am currently driving a W212 220d saloon registered in October 2014. It has covered 78000 miles, 95% of which I have driven having owned it from new, and it has a full MB service history.

With one exception with glow pugs which was fixed under warranty it has been faultless. It averages 43 MPG and costs £30 a year to tax.

I am told it has lost 75% of its value and would only be worth £10k as a trade-in. If I hold onto it for another two years it is surely still likely to be worth £7k - £8k.

Everyone and his brother in the motoring media tells me I want an electric car next time, or at the very least a plug-in hybrid.

The problem with that is Mercedes and their direct competitors make very few pure electric cars (let alone with a decent range) unless of course I had £60k - £70k to spend on an EQC or IPace. One possible option I suppose is the E300de, the plug-in diesel hybrid, where I would need to put £40k on top to change, but it still has diesel in the title so who knows how the government will change the rules in future to get such cars off the road. Other "suitable" cars seem to be two or three years away from the showroom.

Oh, and any replacement would now cost £440 a year to tax for five years.

And they wonder why people are not rushing to buy new cars currently...
If you really must change then Buy a 2016 or 2017 E220d and enjoy better fuel economy than a plug in hybrid will ever get and just £20 a year VED o_O

OP
Altamar

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
Look after what youve got and forget buying one of those dirty elecy things.

^ And that's where I have ended up. The car has been pampered to within an inch of its life so I think I will keep it another four or five years, keep up the service history, and wait for something expensive to go wrong - but even then you can do a lot of repairs before you spend the £20k - £30K it would take to change.

They say Mercedes diesel engines will do 200k miles with no issues so I am inclined to try and find out.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ More like 400k+ miles. Have you seen the mileage on some of those German E class taxis;)

I think you have adopted the right idea of keeping the car if you are happy with it and don't mind spending over and above what a newer car would cost to keep in tip top condition. You also have to offset the probably higher fuel running costs.

I usually keep my cars until either
A. I get fed up with it and want something different.
B. Its unreliable and needs to go
C. Something comes on the market that I really like and is now affordable.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
^ More like 400k+ miles. Have you seen the mileage on some of those German E class taxis;)

Even the OM651?
I thunked they were made of chocolate with bungee timing chains

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
As already mentioned above there is a sweet spot here putting another £12k plus your trade-in towards a W213 E class 220d, that will buy you a low mileage pre March 17 car with £20 road tax. Anything over £40k purchase price post that date will be loaded with £320 + whatever the road tax is for 5 years.

My son is running a 16 plate W213 with the new OM654 220d engine and it gives 50+ mpg all day long and is a real step up from the 212, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one if I was looking to change they are that good

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
Is there a formula somewhere for working out if keeping an old "dirty" diesel is better or worse for the environment than having a new car built for you and then running that?

My uneducated guess would be that the building of a new car must pollute the atmosphere considerably.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Is there a formula somewhere for working out if keeping an old "dirty" diesel is better or worse for the environment than having a new car built for you and then running that?

My uneducated guess would be that the building of a new car must pollute the atmosphere considerably.

But they dont care about the planet, they care about the pollution on their own door steps.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
hang on to what you have as long as its reliable and cheaper to run. everything i see euro 3 onwards is ,it seems designed to keep us at the card reader in the dealer it seems sensors of all types are a lottery as to how long they may last,evidence on here and from across the pond suggests that the quality of these is at least questionable. dpf and electronic egr are not well thought out,for the end user anyway. .in my view anything that sits in grime ,carbon ,oil and is electrically/electronically controlled is on a pretty short life span unless the design allows for ease of access to maintain/clean ,which it is NOT. .ok if its £10 to replace !!!! not 600 plus for 2 nox sensors that prob cost ten quid to make.

eventually if i last long enough i will go electric and very small .. just for the hell of it i might even fit an electric start 2 stroke and a really good castrol R mix !! .. but i not going to fall for any more of this buy,bend over, which is rather how i see the recent automotive so called advances. presently i think we allow ourselfs to be fannied by the cockpit and only find out about the real dramas 5 min after the warranty lapses.

Last edited:

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)

As far as I can work out, diesels dont have any more impsct on the environment than any other powered vehicle including eleccy. The diesel particulates are harmful to human health and thats thd reason for the drive to get rid of them particularly out of cities.

Your educated guess probably right and dont forget that the majority of eleccy cars are charged on non renewable eleccy so still pumping out s**t like all ICE cars.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
[QUOTE="ajlsl600, post: 1740691, ]

eventually if i last long enough i will go electric and very small .. just for the hell of it.[/QUOTE]
Here you go Andy....
images (2).jpeg

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Your educated guess probably right and dont forget that the majority of eleccy cars are charged on non renewable eleccy so still pumping out s**t like all ICE cars.
Unlike ICE electric cars don't have to be fuelled by carbon sources fuels - they can be completely carbon zero on fuel, unlike an ICE car.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
[QUOTE="ajlsl600, post: 1740691, ]

eventually if i last long enough i will go electric and very small .. just for the hell of it.
Here you go Andy....
View attachment 52312 [/QUOTE]

about right ,tho i had a 2 stroke powered quingo in mind

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
Unlike ICE electric cars don't have to be fuelled by carbon sources fuels - they can be completely carbon zero on fuel, unlike an ICE car.
Potentially a few can be fuelled on clean eleccy, but as we only produce 25% renewable eleccy which should be assigned to essential services, the vast majority will be powered from nuclear or carbon based fuels. Only time an eleccy car is green is if its charged in the dead of night when theres surplus wind power.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom