Why is a female previous owner advertised as an advantage???

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
I don't get it. Ok so they probably didn't make donuts with the car or floored it all the time... but most guys don't do that either! It would seem to me the average male owner is far more concerned with servicing and making sure things are addressed the moment anything seems amiss (weird sound, unusual running, etc.) than women are. Obviously a generalization but then so is presenting a female ex-owner as an advantage...

Any ideas/anecdotes/considerations?

[goes back to looking at a car for the missus]

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
i would have thought its something along the lines of general apparent slow/steadier driving, but i agree i dont understand it!

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Aren't their insurance premiums lower? Women are statistically slower and more careful drivers, I would say. The yobbo tailgating you and overtaking on a bend is rarely female.

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
It's just random nonsense people stick in for sale ads that, to them, makes the ad sound better but in reality is meaningless...

Going by stereotypes from the female perspective 'one lady owner' is supposed to mean not caned to within an of inch of it's life every time it's driven. From the male perspective it means every single panel is covered in parking dings, the wheels have been kerbed to oblivion and it may be full of cushions and potpourri

Sticking with the same sterotypes women typically pay less for insurance because their accidents tend to be slower speed parking dings while [strike]multitasking[/strike] using twitface/texting/gossiping/checking makeup whereas men do things do things properly and cause proper carnage after saying 'watch this' to a mate [/tongue in cheek]

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
I was wondering this the other day when I saw an ad in the local rag highlighting 'lady' ownership.

I do not regard it as a plus at all. In my experience most women know nothing about cars and can be very, very, very mechanically unsympathetic.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Girls-room-girls-car-vs-boys-room-boys-car_o_116169_zps5lbf3iaz.jpg

And here's a French take on the same subject:

girls%20room%20amp%20car_zpspzii5hrc.jpg

Pookis Dad

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 Range Rover V8 (miss the Benz)
Aren't their insurance premiums lower? Women are statistically slower and more careful drivers, I would say. The yobbo tailgating you and overtaking on a bend is rarely female.

Ha!

You want to drive along Milburn Road, Inverness any time and see your statistics fly out the window, usually along with abuse and vitriol for holding them up by driving at the posted limit! :shock:

I once had a fat female give me sooo much abuse for A) driving at the limit and B) "cutting her off!" :confused:

She had NO idea which lane to be in and almost swiped me as she did a sudden lane change into my lane so I peeped the horn to "wake" her up and boy did she give me all barrels.

I was at the red light, she came alongside and gave me abuse.

I waited, then pointed out that if she had been chained to her sink instead of driving like a 5 year old, this conversation wouldn't be taking place :twisted::grin::lol:

I just got so mad that she blamed me for her own incompetence. Anyway, to compound it further, she stalled, eliciting a shed load of honks and toots from others behind.

So, to sum up.

I can't imagine that slow driving in a DPF fitted diesel car, kerbing at every opportunity and an inability to change a wheel or know exactly what the noise is from under the bonnet helps to sell a car.

Me?

I don't car what miles are on the clock, as long as it's been serviced and a years mot...but then I can pretty much fix most mechanical things so I guess I am not a typical "pre-owned" buyer.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Swmbo 's car is like a mobile skip - I wouldn't buy it!
Despite promises when twice a year I wade through all that stuff cleaning chocolate stains and god knows what - you've done a great job - promise to keep it that way - within a week it's back to a tip:mad:

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Having seen the way my wife and daughter treat their cars it would put me off buying one if advertised as "lady owner" ,they promise to look after them but they still look like skips a short time after a valet.

If I leave anything lying around the house I am an untidy sod and a typical man :rolleyes:

Kenny

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My other half's car is always immaculate. The slightest mark on it and she mithers about it for days. She's probably worse than me!

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
One careful lady owner, always tops up the oil when the light comes on...

Mine would just ask me if I can turn the light off as it would annoy her. Wouldn't be too fussed about oil levels... until the engine seized! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
I've had my teeth rattled a few times by women in cars. I think I had better expand on that :)... One of the commonest problems on manual gearbox cars seems to be inappropriate gear selection for the road speed - 4th gear at 20mph on an uphill incline with everything vibrating doesn't do the mechanicals any good or my teeth......

Last edited:

Howard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 / A 190
'Let it labour' as my mates grandad used to say !

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
My wife turned the volume of the radio up when she heard a "funny" noise...that tyre was toast by the time she got home!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Why is a female previous owner advertised as an advantage???

Definitely not in my book !!! :(:(:(

OP
Irresistance

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Okay well I guess all your replies did little to give credence to the fact it is mentioned so often... perhaps outdated stereotypes... :/

We've zeroed in one a B200 Sport 2006 model and a C220CDI 2004 estate. Will have a look at those this week. Love the B-class actually.... though it is surprising it has been advertised for 3 weeks by now...

Last edited:

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Mine would just ask me if I can turn the light off as it would annoy her. Wouldn't be too fussed about oil levels... until the engine seized! :rolleyes:

I think everyone nowadays is just as bad. Had 3 male passengers in the car when the oil light came on 50miles into a 200 mile journey so pulled in at next service station and said we would have a coffee while it settled so I could check the level properly. Everyone couldn't understand what I was doing "car works fine", "those lights don't mean anything", etc. When I checked it it turned out the oil light/sensor was at fault and the oil level was fine, it even went off when we restarted and everyone basically said "told you so" as if it wasn't worth the peace of mind knowing we could drive the other 150 miles (and return) without worrying about it :confused:

I also have a coolant loss problem at the moment so monitoring it every few journeys and for some reason (probably no long motorway driving) the last 100km it hasn't lost a drop...and so my male passenger helpfully said "yeah, they usually fix themselves" as if it can be forgotten about forever now!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
My 2 cents worth. It is a disadvantage.

My experience of women drivers/owners is no preventative maintenance will ever be done(oil/water/tyre pressures etc) between services, and they will complain like crazy if a warning light illuminates.
They will never wash a car and expect the males in the family to do it and as for vacuuming it, forget it.

When it comes to driving they are hesitant,indecisive and will ride the clutch on a manual.
A female owned car is one I would inspect even more closely and is not regarded by me as being an advantage.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Most females are not aware of noises or engine trouble, they do not watch the dials and most of their cars that run on alloy wheels are kerbed badly.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom