Why Mortorway milage in ads??

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
I am looking for a SLK for my wife and have noticed that people put *****miles motorway milage. Not to seem think but if a car has done this many thousands of miles, what difference does it make if it is mainly motorway? Less gear changes? faster speed?
Brian

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
People list it because sat cruising on the motorway puts little stress on the car, everything is generally up to temperature and the car is just purring along. Mine sits at 1,600 revs at 70mph so not exactly stressed. The suspension isn't being hit by potholes and traffic calming and the steering isn't being stressed by being put on full lock at standstill. In reality the car still has to get to the motorway so I would take the advert with a pinch of salt and judge the car on it's own merits.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
theoretically

more efficient high speed running, less wear and tear on gearbox and clutch. Engine running leaner.
Unless they mean the M62 of a morning up in the pennines. Then the exact opposite applies.
A point to pick up on if viewing the car.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Hello,

The smallest amount of wear in an engine,gearbox,axles etc takes place when they are running at their working temperatures and at a constant speed.

The implication,is therefore,that although the car may have been to the moon,there isn't much wear as a result.

Generally speaking,I reckon this is true,but it does depend on proper servicing and not being abused when not on the motorway.

Regards,
Nick

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Thank you

Thank you for the quick replies, that fully answers my questions and now I understand,
regards
Brian

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Thank you for the quick replies, that fully answers my questions and now I understand,
regards
Brian

Eighty per cent of engine wear takes place in the first ten minutes after start up.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I am looking for a SLK for my wife and have noticed that people put *****miles motorway mileage. Not to seem think but if a car has done this many thousands of miles, what difference does it make if it is mainly motorway? Less gear changes? faster speed?
Brian

It is an interesting point Brian. Others have picked out the advantages of motorway mileage and I agree with the points they make.

Conversely, I tend to be wary of cars that have spent their lives in big cities, e.g. inside the M25. The reverse of the motorway mileage arguments seem to hold true - short journeys, cold engine, stop and start, minor bumps (parking, car parks), wheel kerbing. Low mileage perhaps, but possibly at a cost. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
the downside is the seller might be a liar & how can you tell ?

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
the downside is the seller might be a liar & how can you tell ?

A high mileage in a short period of time is usually a reliable indicator.

My 95 E320 coupe had travelled 67,000 in the first 3 years.

So I bought it.

It is now on 167,000 miles and drives wonderfully.

It has had maintenance obviously and I have renewed all suspension links/joints.

EGBM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS 320 CDI
The implication,is therefore,that although the car may have been to the moon,there isn't much wear as a result.

I'm not so sure about this statement, Nick, I've just been watching a programme about the moon missions and the amount of flame and smoke that comes out on the launchpad had me wincing, mate. Tons of the stuff, looked like it needed its valve stem oil seals looking at at least.

I'll get my coat.

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
A high mileage in a short period of time is usually a reliable indicator.

My 95 E320 coupe had travelled 67,000 in the first 3 years.

So I bought it.

It is now on 167,000 miles and drives wonderfully.

It has had maintenance obviously and I have renewed all suspension links/joints.
yes good point but the car for sale might be a bit older so it then gets a bit vague so very much a case of buyer beware

djb

Reaction score
conversly the worst buy is the ex doctors car..... or community nurse

many starts,engine never gets to operating temp. = max wear

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
It's desperate people trying to sell their vehicle for more than it's probably worth .......

hairyg

Reaction score
Website
www.vegetarian-and-low-calorie-recipes.com
Your Mercedes
R129 (1994) SL320
20 odd years ago I bought a Volvo 340 to commute 70 miles each way to Bristol and back. About 110 of the 140 daily miles was motorway.

The clutch lasted for 105,000 miles, brake pads needed replacing at 50,000.

We kept the car for quite a few years, all three of our children learned to drive in it and we eventually sold it with 175,000 miles on the clock.

I would definately say that motorway mileage is gentle on a car compared with urban driving.

How you cab verify the seller's claim is another question entirely.

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
20 odd years ago I bought a Volvo 340 to commute 70 miles each way to Bristol and back. About 110 of the 140 daily miles was motorway.

The clutch lasted for 105,000 miles, brake pads needed replacing at 50,000.

We kept the car for quite a few years, all three of our children learned to drive in it and we eventually sold it with 175,000 miles on the clock.

I would definately say that motorway mileage is gentle on a car compared with urban driving.

How you cab verify the seller's claim is another question entirely.
i drove a 340 20 odd years ago boy did i get a fright when i hit the first bend :lol: definitlely a car for the motorway

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
Don't forget though that while a car with high motorway miles might have suffered less wear and tear mechanically in terms of bodywork it might be pebble-dashed with stone chips.

In my experience the front bumpers, bonnet and the rear arches in front of rear wheels all tend to suffer from more stone chipping from cruising along at high speed all the time. Also check the windscreen for more chips, as well as the windscreen pillars and area of roof just above the windscreen.

The front end will also have been regularly coated in splatted dead bugs! check none of these have started to damage the paintwork where they haven't been regularly washed off.

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom