OP
dry run

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
It’s a pity as the OP was looking for a 350... ;)
No idea, I’m sure google does though
That's lovely, but just know I would be disappointed going from a 3l V6 to a 2.1l 4-pot.

Did that once when I swapped a 4l XJ8 to a prettier and better equipped 3.2l XJ8.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
On a journey tomorrow to hopefully by a very nice CLS (not black or silver) and with a cracking interior. I'll post pictures if I buy it!
Good luck ,that leaves more black and silver ones on the market for your old buddy Wighty ;)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
On the modern big Mercs, I'm really liking the thought of Hyacinth Red with Ivory interior.

This one needs the paintwork sorting out but you get the idea LINK. Now add a shooting brake, make its a CLS63, no more than 2 owners and this side of 50,000 miles, around 2015 model and that would have me trundling towards a realistic purchase.
Close... ;)

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec

Yes seen that one. I never liked Hyancinth red for some reason and then almost overnight I thought all polished up it looks great. I just can’t do a black interior as a shooting brake would be a family bus and I’m not desperate so can comfortably hold out for the one to come by but, I would like to try and get something by the end of this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Each to their own but, regardless of value of a car, on principle, I never skimp on tyres.

Tyres and brakes are the two most important elements of a road going vehicle :)

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
I’ve found the opposite, dirty diseasals respond with huge torques straight from the off. Have to get the revs up first on the petrols.
I’d only not have another due to all the emissions carp badly bolted on.

Petrol and diesel achieve much the same thing, but in a different way. Take my C300 and the diesel equivalent, same car, broadly similar figures, but I drove each back to back, and the petrol version just feels quicker, generally zippier all round. I'd put money on petrol being faster initially away from the lights, though the diesel would catch up once it got moving, Mercedes give both the same 0-62 time, so much the same overall. Diesels are great, I've had six, before retirement I used to do a bigger mileage, but for me they just don't feel sporty (some of us have yet to finish growing up!) in quite the same way an equivalent petrol can, but the massive advantage that diesel has is fuel economy. In about 2016, I drove an MB C250 diesel coupé non-stop apart from the ferry crossing, from home in Poole to Wernigerode in mid-Germany, just over 650 miles. A few rest stops of course, but otherwise non-stop on a single tankful, and from Calais, autoroute and Autobahn all the way. The car was only two months old, but all at 70 to 85 mph the entire journey. The readout at destination said 60.2 mpg, and topping up the next day worked out at 59.9 on my calculator, which is pretty impressive. My current petrol C300 might just manage 40 mpg, so about 33% less for the same journey, and that's the real argument in favour of diesel.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Petrol and diesel achieve much the same thing, but in a different way. Take my C300 and the diesel equivalent, same car, broadly similar figures, but I drove each back to back, and the petrol version just feels quicker, generally zippier all round. I'd put money on petrol being faster initially away from the lights, though the diesel would catch up once it got moving, Mercedes give both the same 0-62 time, so much the same overall. Diesels are great, I've had six, before retirement I used to do a bigger mileage, but for me they just don't feel sporty (some of us have yet to finish growing up!) in quite the same way an equivalent petrol can, but the massive advantage that diesel has is fuel economy. In about 2016, I drove an MB C250 diesel coupé non-stop apart from the ferry crossing, from home in Poole to Wernigerode in mid-Germany, just over 650 miles. A few rest stops of course, but otherwise non-stop on a single tankful, and from Calais, autoroute and Autobahn all the way. The car was only two months old, but all at 70 to 85 mph the entire journey. The readout at destination said 60.2 mpg, and topping up the next day worked out at 59.9 on my calculator, which is pretty impressive. My current petrol C300 might just manage 40 mpg, so about 33% less for the same journey, and that's the real argument in favour of diesel.
I regularly saw >80mpg for my 180 mile trip to Hereford in my E220d and 925 miles on a single tank... ;) :) (65ltr tank)
I’m averaging not quite 32mpg for ~42k miles in my SLK 3.0ltr petrol :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The things I don't like about diesels us the great slug of torque that just dies after a few more revs. Petrols have a broader usable rev range. The diesel rev range is just too narrow for my tastes. This is especially true when compared to a turbocharged petrol engine.
Diesels nay have better economy but they're too complex and costly to maintain these days with all the chemical laboratory buried in the exhaust to try to make them acceptably clean (and even then they've had to cheat to meet the targets).
Diesels are also now being banned from town centres. It's all very well doing 50% more mpg but not much use if you have to pay all that savings to enter clean air zones. Even my 2004 Smart complies with the Birmingham one. You'd need a much newer diesel in order to comply.

Diesels are a dying breed in my opinion. That's already being reflected in new car sales with diesel sales falling faster than petrol (which are increasing for some brands).

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The things I don't like about diesels us the great slug of torque that just dies after a few more revs. Petrols have a broader usable rev range. The diesel rev range is just too narrow for my tastes. This is especially true when compared to a turbocharged petrol engine.
Diesels nay have better economy but they're too complex and costly to maintain these days with all the chemical laboratory buried in the exhaust to try to make them acceptably clean (and even then they've had to cheat to meet the targets).
Diesels are also now being banned from town centres. It's all very well doing 50% more mpg but not much use if you have to pay all that savings to enter clean air zones. Even my 2004 Smart complies with the Birmingham one. You'd need a much newer diesel in order to comply.

Diesels are a dying breed in my opinion. That's already being reflected in new car sales with diesel sales falling faster than petrol (which are increasing for some brands).

I think diesel's have a come a long way and its nice to see to seriously quick ones like the 300+bhp things as they give you both speed and economy. I could easily work around and just live with the nature of diesels if I had to. But, LostKiwi has hit the nail on the head, when they do wrong, the complexities bite! This is why, I would always be swayed towards a petrol engine that can deliver good performance in a relaxed manner.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
350 CDI's have a decent spread of torque .

Mercedes E350 CDI HV65HDD Stg1 Jpeg.jpg

Remapped up to 750 Nm sledge hammer torque is available !!

Again remapped here 600 Nm+ is always available from 1500 - 3500 rpm , don't hear much about their dpf and egr going south , more so the oil coolers .

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The diesel's I had were doing 1,000 miles a week, on motorways and I knocked them down a few gears every so often and cruised at higher RPM which seemed to help. I only got my CLS as I needed a 4 door car I'd be happy to leave anywhere when needed but, this is now the family bus but, I always find myself taking it for a blast along a carriageway into Derby and back or doing a junction on the motorway to clear out what may be going on as trundles around the urban roads. So far I've not had a problem but, I think that's down to a combination of use and maintenance.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
350 CDI's have a decent spread of torque .

View attachment 67269

Remapped up to 750 Nm sledge hammer torque is available !!

Again remapped here 600 Nm+ is always available from 1500 - 3500 rpm , don't hear much about their dpf and egr going south , more so the oil coolers .
And at 4000rpm the torque has fallen off a cliff. Usable rev range is 1500 to 3500rpm. That's pretty narrow compared to most petrol engines that run 2000 to 5000 or higher. Engine torque is also only half the story. You need to look at the torque at the wheels after the multiplication that takes place in the gearbox and differential. Even then torque is not relevant to the feel and pleasure of driving it. If you've ever driven a screamer petrol engine like a VTEC or rotary you'll know what I mean.
An m119 V8 is another example - bags of torque from 1500 all the way to 6000. In my opinion the noise and feeling of endless performance are far superior to the short shifting nature of making progress in a diesel.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Yes have driven a few sreamtecs , they just beg to be reved , no torque , just all top end.

But we're all older now .

With the 3.0 and all diesels they make peak power and torque earlier , getting the job done sooner , to me that's efficency compared to a 5.0 petrol that would lose a drag race to it .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes have driven a few sreamtecs , they just beg to be reved , no torque , just all top end.

But we're all older now .

With the 3.0 and all diesels they make peak power and torque earlier , getting the job done sooner , to me that's efficency compared to a 5.0 petrol that would lose a drag race to it .
Drag race? I thought we were older now?

Straight lines are for wimps. Corners are where it's at. It's not for no reason there are virtually no diesel track cars or rally cars (or for that matter drag cars). Thinking about it the usual place to find diesels is in truck racing and tractor pulls....

And before you say it yes I know about the diesel Le Mans cars and Paris Dakar cars - they're successful because of economy, not sheer pace.

Last edited:

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
All ment in a Matt Watson kind of way..

You don't have to educate me about corners either .

5.0 V8 petrol , low 20's mpg , 306 hp ,
460 Nm , normally aspirated .

3.0 V6 diesel , over 40 mpg ? , Stage 1 , 315hp and gets there by 3237 rpm now that's efficency with sledge hammer 743 Nm torque , forced induction .

It's clear to see why there is more of them and why GAD Tuning do too .

Even my 2.1 has 580 Nm .

Top Bottom